Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 14-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Esseth (Alan)
Worse or better?

Hey Paul,

Thanks for that, i just had a read of the other post about the AOE contact, i tried to track down a contact number but if they dont want my business (in my line of work, 3 days is more than ample time to respond to an email) ill try Andrews like you suggest.

I did find some fancy binos before i had done my research, but they were only multi coated and they were BK7 prisms so im glad i over reserched it.

Now i am looking at Andrews and ill give them a call tomorrow, now i know i am looking for binos with an exit pupil diameter of about 5+ which means either 10x50 or 12x60, now i live in a city, so would the 60's be better (but i know light pollution is bad in any city so the BEST thing is to get away ) or does the bigger aperture make light pollution worse?

Either way i will be taking more trips out of the sity once i get them lol
Old 14-08-2009, 05:28 PM
PCH (Paul)

Hi Alan,

aperture always wins at the end of the day, - whether we're talking about bins or scopes. With more aperture, of course you get more of everything, including the city glare, but you either put up with it or move away - or try a couple of filters which can be effective in a limited way (see bintels filters section for guidance).

Your only consideration now it seems, is what size. Really Alan, for the two sizes you mention there, there won't be any noticeable difference in perceived glare from the city.

I have a couple of pairs of 100mm bins and city glare or no city glare, you definitely get to see more of the good stuff too. Get the 12x60s. Hey, you can always get the 20x90s the following week
Old 14-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Esseth (Alan)
Worse or better?

haha thanks for the help, and yeah i CAN but i doubt ill be allowed by the other half lol
Old 23-12-2009, 11:40 AM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Be careful of the numbers. They may be impressive but often come with substandard lens and prisms. I spoke to a reputable dealer a while back and he was pretty adament that if you want "excellent images" you pay for it. For 80mm objectives, start around the $1k Au and above. If you want easy to use, no mounting issues, stick around the 50mm objective. magnification 7X to 10X. No higher or you wont be able to hold them steady. $300 on 50mm objectives will get you a good set... IMO anyhow.
Old 19-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Mousehound

Excellent initial research. I am a "birder" who is just starting to get into astronomy. Therefore I may have it wrong but these are some observations having reviewed and owned many pairs of bins over the years.
As stated already: big magnification is rarely the thing to go for. I use my bins to get an general view and a scope to get in close if needed. Light gathering capabilities are very important and lower power seem clearer. A wide exit lens is usually a good sign. Make sure you know the proper way to focus bins - look it up. If you think you know or didn't know that there is a correct way then you are most likely not doing it right. Ensure that the lenses can be brought together so that they form a single clear circular view. Generally the more you pay the better but I have had great results with a pair of Pentax 8X45 ($140 on ebay) and Nikon Monarch 10 X 40 (the latter are possibly the best value on the market at about $300). I have also had some nice Olympus and Bushnell (Elite) over the years but have not beeen so impresssed with Steiner. Zeiss and leitz are out of my league although I do have quite a nice Swarovski scope.

If, like me, you might like to use your bins for things diurnal then I wouldn't go past the 10X whatever the brand.

The link below gives a reall good summary of "in the field" use.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publica...Age_Binos.html
Old 05-06-2011, 06:21 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

More newbie bino question time I've thoroughly read the article so I have a basic understanding. I've used some nice 10 x 50's comfortably, but am hoping to get something with a bit of a wider diameter to increase exit pupil size.

We originally had our eyes on some 10 x 60's from andrews which were a bargain price of $49, bak4 fully coated. A couple of other IIS members have used them and loved them, but unfortunately Andrews is out of stock of that model and can't seem to tell us when they'll have more. We're hoping to keep things fairly cheap for our first pair of binos, under $200 for sure, which of course means it'll be a trade off between optics and price.

Hoping for something around the 10 x 60 mark I found these Meade 9 x 63's:

http://www.staroptics.com.au/catalog...roducts_id=532

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm sure I could go for a pair of 10 x 50's but I'd really like the extra light

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to mention. I remember reading that in regards to more light entering the lens this obviously applies to LP as well. Now we plan to be observing in dark skies as much as possible, but living in suburbia we want them to be able to resolve with moderate suburbian LP without much trouble too. I know this is really a "just go out and try them" kind of thing, but do you think we'd be best off just sticking to something simpler like the 10 x 50's? Of course we don't want to find ourselves wishing for the latter if these Meade ones (or any other model as bright) is so much less usable in suburban skies.

Last edited by oosh; 05-06-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

Jason, cheap roof prism's aren't the best buy for astro, in LPareas, good 10x50 pro will be better, under dk skies 9x63 can be better, but it depends on your eyes & your own preferences. A 11x79 or 10x70 ( premium like ultra) may be a better buy
Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

Oh no, I didn't even realise they were roof prisms... and it says it right there. I think I assumed (big mistake!) they weren't becaue they didn't look like the typical roof design, at least to me. Thanks for pointing that out Daniel.

Andrews have some 11 x 70's that are "broadband fully multi-coated", not sure what the broadband is really meaning, for $149. I can't direct link to them, but they're just about half way down the page here:

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm

These aren't roof are they? Am I right in thinking the 11 x 70's will be a better compromise for LP/dark skies?

If not I may just go for a cheapy pair of 10 x 50's and look at a 2nd set down the track pending how they go for a few months.

Thank you again
Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Hi Jason. Though unfortunately this shop (AOE) is closed, their website remains up. There is useful information in the articles on this page:-

http://www.aoe.com.au/information_educational.html

The Andrews pair you are looking at should be pretty good. Coatings are discussed in the reference above. "Broadband"? - I don't know but maybe there is an answer here?

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchi...sed/sb/5/o/all

Edit - Found this:-

What does "broadband" mean?
Broadband is a type of multi-coating, and is the highest-quality multi-coating available from our factories. If you measure the reflectivity of standard multi-coating across the entire range of visible wavelengths (380-780nm), you'll see that reflectivity increases (is less efficient) at each end of the spectrum. Broadband multi-coating has less of an increase in reflectivity at the ends of the range, or in other words a "broader band" of efficiency, across the entire range of the visible spectrum. Note: Every pair of Oberwerk binoculars is fully broadband multi-coated.

ps. Get one of the metal L-brackets ($19) down the bottom of the page to mount the binoculars on a tripod.

Last edited by erick; 06-06-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:59 PM
oosh (Jason)
Citizen of the Cosmos

Thanks for the tips and the aoe link, looks like a good resource Eric. Might put a pair of the 11 x 70's on order.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 PM
joebee (Joe)

I bought the 11 x 70's from Andrews Comms and they work really well, heaps better than the 10 x 50's I had. I got mine for $149 as well, and at the same time got the GSO 12" Dob. I'm lucky as I only live 15 minutes drive from them.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:13 AM
Jan Masu

Binocular as a starter soiunds good to me

I will grab myself a good pair of binocular to start off...
Old 07-01-2012, 08:57 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Hi Jason. Though unfortunately this shop (AOE) is closed, their website remains up. There is useful information in the articles on this page:-

http://www.aoe.com.au/information_educational.html
Sadly, no more
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Joanne Rees

Now I am confused! I am a newby and have just purchased 10x50 Nikkon bins (ok, i'm jiggy with the lingo now) as that is what was recommended to me. Have I done the right thing? They were not cheap as some mentioned here ($185) but cheaper than the telescope my husband bought for me that I cannot seem to manage. I am off out to Western NSW this Monday, so I will take the above advice and pack my banana lounge. Looking forward to being part of the 'iceinspace' forums.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Shark Bait (Stu)
'ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha'

They should be fine. If you can get the stars to become pinpoints of light then the optics are up to the job for astro work. If you have a tripod and tripod bino mount you will be able to keep them steady and take a lot more time to enjoy the view.

If you are having trouble with your scope, start a post in the beginners equipment section and ask for some assistance. Provide as much detail as you can about the type of scope you have and the areas that you need help with.

This is a great forum. The people are helpful and willing to share their knowledge.
Old 18-11-2013, 07:04 PM
mkeech (Mark)

what is the easiest and cheapest tripod mount adapter for basic binoculars
Old 18-11-2013, 07:38 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeech View Post
This may depend on your particular make/model of binocular.

Most seem to have a ¼ inch Whitworth thread into which you can screw in a post which then fits to a tripod head.

Does your bino have a mounting socket? Manufacturers such as Leica, Nikon and Swarovski make a sort of cradle for binos without a mounting socket.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 27-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Devilbabi (Amanda)

Guys, I am a complete noob!
I have read it is best to grab a good pair of bino's before a telescope, I have no idea what any of the lingo I have just read means, can some one link me to a good starter page to read so I understand better what I should be looking for?
Links to good binos would be appreciated too!
Thanks, Amanda
Old 27-02-2014, 10:28 AM
SkyWatch (Dean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkeech View Post
I don't know about the cheapest, but Andrews and others stock a very solid one for around $19. I have one and it hold my 80mm binos quite happily.
See: http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-11.htm - click on the "Andrews" bino link and and scroll down to the bottom.
Most binos have a female 1/4 thread under the cover at the bottom of the central join (the cover just screws off).
Old 27-02-2014, 10:29 AM
pw (Peter)

10x50 means 10 times magnification, things look 10 times closer, and 50mm objective lenses (the size where the light enters).

This size is hand-holdable, but quite powerful and gives a good bright view.

Pentax, Olympus, Nikon, Vanguard, Orion are all decent brands (I'm sure there are many other good brands too), decide on your budget and see what they have to offer in a 10x50 or similar size.
Google search for astronomy binocular reviews.