" FOCAL RATIO 8f
SEEING 3 ARCSEC
STAR ANALYSER 200
GRATING TO SENSOR 57mm* down to 25mm
CAMERA PIXEL SIZE 6.45 STARLIGHT XPRES H9C
" CCD WIDTH 1392pixels " " "

if you need any more info let me know.

peter

Last edited by p1taylor; 29-01-2017 at 02:56 AM.
Old 29-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Peter,
start around 50mm spacing and remember to keep the spectral image horizontal to the chip. Use the brighter 1st order spectrum.
I'd recommend John's BASS project for the processing and calibration.
Old 29-01-2017, 08:09 PM
p1taylor

Thanks for your info will set it up to 50mm as suggest, is there a way I can test it during the day as weather is so bad ether ran or freezing, if I put a neon bulb in fount of scope will that do.

peter
Old 30-01-2017, 05:56 AM
tomfield (Tom)
Field Tested Systems

Using Neon

Yes, Peter. You can test during the day with a Neon bulb at a distance.

RSpec has the Neon lines available on the Elements screen. There are a lot of lines, but do a two point calibration by focusing your attention on the two strongest, one at either end, as shown in the image below from the Walker Atlas (which is no longer available.)

http://www.rspec-astro.com/download/neon.png
Old 30-01-2017, 12:40 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1taylor View Post
Thanks for your info will set it up to 50mm as suggest, is there a way I can test it during the day as weather is so bad ether ran or freezing, if I put a neon bulb in fount of scope will that do.

peter
A handy way to test the set-up indoors is to get a chromed ball-bearing and set it up far enough away that you can focus on it (e.g. down the other end of a long hallway).

Turn off the general room lights, and set up a light source some distance away, pointing at the ball bearing so that the light source doesn't shine into the telescope (e.g. a torch or spotlight set up next to the telescope works well) - you should see a brilliant point reflection on the ball bearing. Focus on this image, and you will get the spectrum through your SA grating.

A 10 mm ball bearing works well - the smaller the sphere, the smaller the reflected image of the light source, and the easier it is to get a nice sharp spectrum. Preferably, mount the ball bearing on some matte black card or similar, to give a dark background for the spectrum.

Try changing the light source, and you will immediately see the different spectra - a halogen bulb gives a full broad spectrum, extending well into both the IR and UV (unless it is a UV-filtered bulb). Fluorescent lights (e.g. a CFL globe) give an emission line spectrum for mercury and various other elements. An RGB LED shows three spikes for each of the Red, Green and Blue LED elements, while a bright-white LED gives a prominent Blue spike and a broad spectrum across the Red to Yellow. A laser pointer will just show a single narrow spike.

Using a broad spectrum source (such as an incandescent or halogen globe), you can try putting various filters in front of your camera - for example, you can measure the transmission of your astronomical filters by comparing the filtered spectrum with the unfiltered spectrum.

And all of this can be done indoors, before you even get your set-up out under the stars!

If you take the ball bearing out into your backyard under the Sun, you can get a really nice spectrum of a typical Class G2V star - good ol' Sol!
Old 30-01-2017, 04:37 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Congratulations Peter! You're on the slippery slope now! You'll enjoy it.

I haven't seen or tried the 200. Mine is the old 100. If a ball bearing isn't readily available, try a pin or needle as a reflection slit - it's a bit fiddlier to set up, but may be more available.

Al.
Old 30-01-2017, 04:40 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Al,
You're not missing out....
The SA100 at the correct spacing will give you similar results.
Both present a great introduction to amateur spectroscopy.
Old 01-02-2017, 04:48 AM
p1taylor

Thanks all for all your suggestions, now I have to have a go down hall if I cane get focus.

peter