ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-04-2017, 09:16 PM
Tandum (Robin)

My Stereo

I was browsing ebay a while back and found foam surrounds for my old speakers.
The boy child gave me an LP player 2 xmas`s ago.
He thought it was USB. Kids

Dug up the original Amp, connected the speakers, turntable.
3 milk crates of records. Talk about reliving the past.

Last edited by Tandum; 16-04-2017 at 06:48 AM.
Old 16-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Kunama

It's not real music until you hear the crackle of the stylus in the background....

My Wharfedale Towers are still going strong........ though my LPs and singles are but a distant memory......
Old 16-04-2017, 12:41 PM
blink138 (Pat)

i never gave my vinyls away, still get into my hifi room, put the amp and pre on early morning and spend the evening listening............. bliss!
about ten years ago i had my celestion ditton 66's (which i purchased in 1982) rewired and internally modernised and they sound great
the pointy end (stylis and turntable) of business makes the biggest difference though i think
pat
Old 16-04-2017, 12:49 PM
blink138 (Pat)

.............. oh yes even some of my glasses are made from viny records!
pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Deru_web.jpg)
38.4 KB21 views
Old 16-04-2017, 02:41 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandum View Post
I was browsing ebay a while back and found foam surrounds for my old speakers.
The boy child gave me an LP player 2 xmas`s ago.
He thought it was USB. Kids

Dug up the original Amp, connected the speakers, turntable.
3 milk crates of records. Talk about reliving the past.

yep, love the vinyl - the best thing is that as the ears age, the music sounds better. At 70, my old homemade speakers + cheap Audiotechnica cartridge sound just as good as a V15 and Duntechs.

was it difficult to do the foam surrounds? I have a half dozen otherwise good quality drivers that need fixing.

Last edited by Shiraz; 16-04-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 16-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Tandum (Robin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiraz View Post
was it difficult to do the foam surrounds?
Not really. They seem to just be stuck on with a white glue, like Aquadheer and actetone on a cotton bud softens it then scrap it off. These B&O's are just 4" drivers, centering a 12" cone may give you some grief.

The kits comes with glue and instructions.
http://stores.ebay.com.au/queenslandspeakerrepairs/

My issue now is just how many Albums I have that are from the 70's
Old 22-04-2017, 05:26 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

My vinyls, turntable and best (home-built in early 70s, re-speakered in the late 70s) speakers are stored in Sydney awaiting my return from overseas in 2018. Picked up a nice 1997 Technics amp (with phono preamp) over here - it cleaned up nicely and performs well - 2.0 (ok, "stereo", who needs more channels ). I admit I have a 5.1 amp and speakers (active subwoofer) for DVDs and streaming etc.

Hopefully a new turntable will be an early present to myself for my retirement. Maybe from Brian Maddern at decibelhifi.com.au

Long live crackle
Old 23-04-2017, 03:16 AM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
My vinyls, turntable and best (home-built in early 70s, re-speakered in the late 70s) speakers are stored in Sydney awaiting my return from overseas in 2018. Picked up a nice 1997 Technics amp (with phono preamp) over here - it cleaned up nicely and performs well - 2.0 (ok, "stereo", who needs more channels ). I admit I have a 5.1 amp and speakers (active subwoofer) for DVDs and streaming etc.

Hopefully a new turntable will be an early present to myself for my retirement. Maybe from Brian Maddern at decibelhifi.com.au

Long live crackle
spend as much as you budget allows erick
i split my turntable budget between the deck and the cartridge
pat
Old 29-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Astrophe (John)

A good set of headphones and a quality headphone amplifier can sound astoundingly good, using either vinyl or digital as source. If you're into classical or jazz, try Sennheiser HD600 phones and a good headphone amp which might cost between $400-$800....believe me, money well spent. To match this combo using a loudspeaker setup, you would be looking at a system retailing for $10K or more....the sky's the limit with loudspeakers systems. I've heard systems costing $200K+.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/colle...reo-headphones

Last edited by Astrophe; 29-04-2017 at 04:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:52 PM
DarkKnight (Kev)

I'm still using my early 1970's Peerless speakers for music and TV via an amp. I've a 12", a 6" and a tweeter in a half-ton 800x450x340mm box.

I'm listening to 103.7FM (2NUR Newcastle) and the 70' and 80's music they play still sounds great to my old ears.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:50 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrophe View Post
A good set of headphones and a quality headphone amplifier can sound astoundingly good, using either vinyl or digital as source. If you're into classical or jazz, try Sennheiser HD600 phones and a good headphone amp which might cost between $400-$800....believe me, money well spent. To match this combo using a loudspeaker setup, you would be looking at a system retailing for $10K or more....the sky's the limit with loudspeakers systems. I've heard systems costing $200K+.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/colle...reo-headphones
+1

I got my HD600s when they were retail $900 (i was a reseller, the markup on Senns is huge) and I still love them today. I dont know if Senn manufacture them any differently these days to the same performance but they are so damn comfortable and so good at reproducing audio. Yep you have to spend a LOT to compete on the quality and still you'll only impress the person sitting in the optimal position. I use a Yamaha amp that has a decent phono input and am more than happy with this combo.

My Rega turntable I actually bought here from a fellow IceInSpacer (forget the name but many thanks!). Its an awesome turntable , though considered an entry level one, he'd installed a few upgrades and I added a couple more. Thats not to say they are necessary but they do make a difference to different aspects of owning and using a turntable. Unfortunately since my stroke, furniture has been pushed out of my way and now blocks access to it so its been unused for a few years (not selling, dont ask but I'm slowly improving enough to start clearing a way to get to it and think I can use it one handed now without fear of damage to it or my vinyl.

I'm not an audiophile snob but I do enjoy the sound of vinyl and good music well played/recorded in any format. Its a bit like astrophotography, where you have imperfections and you can do things to reduce them, signal to noise basically. So the crackles give you something to tweak to try to reduce them, sibilance etc too. Mostly its not too complicated or technical to make adjustments and immediately test the results giving satisfaction. Plus just playing a record is a pleasant physical experience. Perhaps its because I'm before the generation of everything being magic software controlled where whining on forums and throwing stuff away rather than repairing is the norm.

Anyone considering getting into vinyl I highly recommend looking at a Rega turntable, even their "cheapest" if thats your budget. Just be aware you need a phono preamp, its not usb (last I looked) and you cant use a regular input on your amplifier. Turntables ALWAYS require a preamp to output a signal you can connect to any regular AV receiver or amplifier. Some models are available with this built in and can provide regular line level outputs or even usb or even record directly to a usb drive as mp3 etc. Try to avoid these types, they are poor performing devices. Get a "proper" turntable and even a second hand preamp but like a good scope mount is the ideal starting point for an AP setup, a decent real turntable is the ideal starting point.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 AM
Astrophe (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sil View Post
+1

I got my HD600s when they were retail $900 (i was a reseller, the markup on Senns is huge) and I still love them today. I dont know if Senn manufacture them any differently these days to the same performance but they are so damn comfortable and so good at reproducing audio. Yep you have to spend a LOT to compete on the quality and still you'll only impress the person sitting in the optimal position. I use a Yamaha amp that has a decent phono input and am more than happy with this combo.

My Rega turntable I actually bought here from a fellow IceInSpacer (forget the name but many thanks!). Its an awesome turntable , though considered an entry level one, he'd installed a few upgrades and I added a couple more. Thats not to say they are necessary but they do make a difference to different aspects of owning and using a turntable. Unfortunately since my stroke, furniture has been pushed out of my way and now blocks access to it so its been unused for a few years (not selling, dont ask but I'm slowly improving enough to start clearing a way to get to it and think I can use it one handed now without fear of damage to it or my vinyl.

I'm not an audiophile snob but I do enjoy the sound of vinyl and good music well played/recorded in any format. Its a bit like astrophotography, where you have imperfections and you can do things to reduce them, signal to noise basically. So the crackles give you something to tweak to try to reduce them, sibilance etc too. Mostly its not too complicated or technical to make adjustments and immediately test the results giving satisfaction. Plus just playing a record is a pleasant physical experience. Perhaps its because I'm before the generation of everything being magic software controlled where whining on forums and throwing stuff away rather than repairing is the norm.

Anyone considering getting into vinyl I highly recommend looking at a Rega turntable, even their "cheapest" if thats your budget. Just be aware you need a phono preamp, its not usb (last I looked) and you cant use a regular input on your amplifier. Turntables ALWAYS require a preamp to output a signal you can connect to any regular AV receiver or amplifier. Some models are available with this built in and can provide regular line level outputs or even usb or even record directly to a usb drive as mp3 etc. Try to avoid these types, they are poor performing devices. Get a "proper" turntable and even a second hand preamp but like a good scope mount is the ideal starting point for an AP setup, a decent real turntable is the ideal starting point.
Yes, like you I've had a pair of Sennheiser HD600 for many years, but I recently purchased a new pair. No real differences from the original, at least that I could detect. The new pair needs to be run-in though, as they still sound a bit tight.

One point to remember if buying new headphones.....you shouldn't use the built-in headphone outputs on many integrated amps and AV receiver amps. They are inferior to stand alone headphone amplifiers. I use a valve headphone amp....Musical Fidelity X_CAN V2....so you just connect your CD player to the inputs on the headphone amp and you're set. My headphone amp is a decade or older now, but there are many good quality headphone amps (valve is best) available at reasonable prices. https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/colle...one-amplifiers

Here is one headphone amp which I am sure would do the job, handsomely (yea, I know....everything you could say about the brand name, has been said): https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/colle...hone-amplifier
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (151009-musical_fidelity_xcan_v2_headphone_amplifier_see_photo.jpg)
164.0 KB19 views

Last edited by Astrophe; 09-05-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:21 PM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Every pair of sennheisers I've bought in the past decade has been utter crap not even worth wasting $10 on. glad the hd600s are still consistent. I agree dedicated headphone amps are the way to go, but I'd put my yammy av against most anyway, its certainly no slouch. Of course when it comes to audiophiles they are ike new-agers, close minded to everything and dont like to be proven their expensives purchases aren't worth the bother. if you buy your gear from jbhifi then you'll never have an eargasm, they are too low on the food chain to be allowed to sell certain models even if they stock the brand. research with your own ears, find what you are happy with listening to and paying for.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:21 PM
Astrophe (John)

Quote:
Every pair of sennheisers I've bought in the past decade has been utter crap not even worth wasting $10 on. glad the hd600s are still consistent. I agree dedicated headphone amps are the way to go, but I'd put my yammy av against most anyway, its certainly no slouch. Of course when it comes to audiophiles they are ike new-agers, close minded to everything and dont like to be proven their expensives purchases aren't worth the bother. if you buy your gear from jbhifi then you'll never have an eargasm, they are too low on the food chain to be allowed to sell certain models even if they stock the brand. research with your own ears, find what you are happy with listening to and paying for.
I don't know about other Sennheiser models, as I've only used the HD600, but I've heard the HD700 and 800s and they sounded very good. In life, you largely get what you pay for, but there are always exceptions to that rule. Your Yammy AV might well fall into this class. Cheers.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:24 PM
blink138 (Pat)

Quote:
+1

after nearly 35 years of faithful service i sold my rega planar 3 a few years ago now, admittedly it was in storage for maybe 10 years because, well, wooden floors, 4 kids and my turntable are NEVER ever going to get on!
i had an SME tonearm and a shure type V MM cartridge
i love my vinyls and decided to go a bit more top end so i got the project 10.1 and fitted an ortofon moving coil cartridge which sounds absolutely amazing
one of the biggest improvements was having the motor outside of the main deck as this cuts so much motor noise through the cartridge and gives a much quieter and blacker sound between and during tracks
pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (18301801_10154790713437741_476022233654182052_n.jpg)
41.4 KB13 views