Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions

Old 19-02-2018, 07:52 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Higher Amp DC Cigarette plug splitter

Hi guys, I'm looking for a splitter for my battery that allows me to draw more than 10 amps from the battery at any given time. With dew heaters, camera cooler, mount and maybe in the future a dc adapter for the laptop, it draws more than 10 amps (especially when slewing). I've been looking online for a heavier duty splitter but cant seem to find any. I have a SCA battery box for my 80Ah deep cycle battery. This comes with a preinstalled 10amp limited cigarette plug. Would there be any issues with using another DC plug (with alligator clips on the front) in conjunction with the regular plug? Would this allow me to draw more than 10 amps from the battery?
Old 19-02-2018, 08:03 PM
skysurfer
Dark sky rules !

Why do you use a cigarette plug ?

Using higher currents than 10A in a standard cigarette plug may cause fire hazard. Rather use the alligator clips. There are however, inverters available for a car battery converting to 220V AC / 300W which draws at least 25A from your car battery.
Old 19-02-2018, 08:59 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Anderson connectors.
Old 19-02-2018, 09:16 PM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffen View Post
Anderson connectors.
Could you elaborate on that? I'm not familiar with those connectors, how do they connect to the battery to power the scope?
Old 20-02-2018, 02:44 AM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Anderson connectors are an alternative to cigarette lighter plugs/sockets.

You would hook up an Anderson connector to the battery via lugs, and then all your Anderson equipped accessories to that, using splitters or break-out boxes where required.

Anderson connectors are good for 50 amperes (there are also larger, higher-amp versions), do not come apart accidentally, have a fairly high insertion/separation force and clean the contacts on each insertion/separation, cannot be connected the wrong way (polarity), plug and socket are the same, etc.

Cigarette lighter sockets were never meant as power supply terminals, they were designed for... cigarette lighters in cars.