Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 20-01-2018, 06:39 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Still have not got polar align perfect..
alex
Old 20-01-2018, 09:00 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelasnave View Post
From last night in the city using 8 inch f5, nikon unmodified and unguided.

Tried to use guiding but it did not seem to work and I think that is because the last time I put the mount together I made it rather tight and probably too tight for it to respond to controls from computer...another day I will sort it out.

30 secs about 14 minutes no proper processing yet but to get something in Sydney I was very happy.

Hopefully will do some more tonight...Objects are only visable for 60 minutes and after mucking about with various issues managed only about 14 minutes that deep sky stacker saw fit to use.

Anyways done on the relatively cheap side..$500 scope $300 coma corrector $200 filter ( not used in this shot) dslr unmodified and not cooled my point is for not that much cash one can produce satisfying results..well for me but my expections are not that high yet... plus a mount in my case a very old eq6.

I know the shot has major issues but for the city and what I expected this is better than I hoped for and it seems I should be able to do much better.

alex
Amazing what one can do with basic stuff...30 secs and getting above the cameras start noise..stacking , aligning, stretching etc, all takes time...Yes, and even getting the spacing right can drive one nuts.

TS in germany has many spacers if you need them.

Looks like your enjoying your improvement Alex..and thats the main thing.

bigjoe.
Old 21-01-2018, 08:11 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post
Amazing what one can do with basic stuff...30 secs and getting above the cameras start noise..stacking , aligning, stretching etc, all takes time...Yes, and even getting the spacing right can drive one nuts.

TS in germany has many spacers if you need them.

Looks like your enjoying your improvement Alex..and thats the main thing.

bigjoe.
You mention spacers.. Is that a hint? Is there something I should know that you can detect as an equioment problem?
Thanks Alex.
Old 21-01-2018, 09:28 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

[QUOTE=xelasnave;1353520]You mention spacers.. Is that a hint? Is there something I should know that you can detect as an equioment problem?
Thanks Alex.[/QUOTE
Not sure about your Skywatcher /Camera Alex as spacing can differ depending on Camera brand , .5mm even can make a difference either way on many setups ..though 55mm is sort of standard with dslr.
Maybe just trial and error as many have done.. then theres drift aligning for longer exposures...looking good though.
bigjoe.
Old 21-01-2018, 09:29 PM
brisen (Brian)

I think as you said earlier the distance from flattened to chip is Bout 5 mm out. The supplied adapter 3 in the picture in the book and a t ring to suit your brand of csmera should see you imaging out of the box if you are using DSLR. The spacing for CCDs complicated things because they need spacers etc. I found the tech person at Skywatcher (Tasso) in Sydney a useful contact as he has the technical knowledge. I can’t remember his name off the top of my head.

Brian
Old 22-01-2018, 10:47 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by brisen View Post
I think as you said earlier the distance from flattened to chip is Bout 5 mm out. The supplied adapter 3 in the picture in the book and a t ring to suit your brand of csmera should see you imaging out of the box if you are using DSLR. The spacing for CCDs complicated things because they need spacers etc. I found the tech person at Skywatcher (Tasso) in Sydney a useful contact as he has the technical knowledge. I can’t remember his name off the top of my head.

Brian
The last image was with the 8 inch f5 reflector and dslr.
I have put the 80mm to one side until I get it fixed.
Alex
Old 22-01-2018, 10:52 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

[QUOTE=bigjoe;1353528]
Quote:
You mention spacers.. Is that a hint? Is there something I should know that you can detect as an equioment problem?
Thanks Alex.[/QUOTE
Not sure about your Skywatcher /Camera Alex as spacing can differ depending on Camera brand , .5mm even can make a difference either way on many setups ..though 55mm is sort of standard with dslr.
Maybe just trial and error as many have done.. then theres drift aligning for longer exposures...looking good though.
bigjoe.
The last image is with the 8 inch f5.
Last night managed an hour at 800 iso at 30 second exposures.
Nice and clear but I need to get some decent processing software.
Alex
Old 22-01-2018, 01:49 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

[QUOTE=xelasnave;1353602]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoe View Post

The last image is with the 8 inch f5.
Last night managed an hour at 800 iso at 30 second exposures.
Nice and clear but I need to get some decent processing software.
Alex
I see.
You can do some basic stretching in DSS which is free to download exe and help files.
1 hr is good Alex ..hard to go much above 30 secs stacks in the City..we're all handicapped in them from the start.
Thats why some resort to narrowband ..but you still need the spare time; hard for some of us married guys , already too much on the plate for me .
bigjoe.
Old 22-01-2018, 07:33 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I am learning how to get the most from Deep Sky Stacker that for sure. I just keep trying and slowly starting to find ways to use it.

I have had the 8 inch for months now and because of weather I dont get many attempts.

So far in the city the 30 seconds work at 800 iso best as the problems of sky glow and alignment seem less.

I purchased a sky glow filter as you suggested but did not use it on the last run...I am trying to get a feel for with and without.

I think the data from last night is not bad but as I said processing tools are limited by availability and skill.

This afternoon I have been trying to learn lightroom and last nights effort seems much better than anything to date..
Thanks for you help.
Alex
Old 22-01-2018, 08:10 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
I am learning how to get the most from Deep Sky Stacker that for sure. I just keep trying and slowly starting to find ways to use it.

I have had the 8 inch for months now and because of weather I dont get many attempts.

So far in the city the 30 seconds work at 800 iso best as the problems of sky glow and alignment seem less.

I purchased a sky glow filter as you suggested but did not use it on the last run...I am trying to get a feel for with and without.

I think the data from last night is not bad but as I said processing tools are limited by availability and skill.

This afternoon I have been trying to learn lightroom and last nights effort seems much better than anything to date..
Thanks for you help.
Alex
Good way of thinking and doing Alex..why rush anyway..plenty of time to experiment and learn more as you go along; wish I had more time for it myself.
bigjoe.
Old 23-01-2018, 08:34 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

This is the best I could do with the hour captures but I just cant seem to get any real colour.
But I am very happy to get this much in the city.
Also the 80 mm problem is sort of fixed. To get the correct distance I took out the spacer that I firtst thought was part of the flattner and had to deconstruct the t ring such that the t ring grips by the three little security screws ..there is no thread to thread contact.. need to be glued if I cant get a decent fitting ..but it has the right distance...so subject to testing it may be right.

Anyways to be clear the image below was thru the 8 inch approx one hour of 30sec captures stacked in deep sky stacker and played iwth in light room.
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (22janhh-2.jpg)
173.3 KB24 views
Old 24-01-2018, 12:47 AM
ChrisV (Chris)

There will be some nice colour in there. But I can't help as I've never used light room
Old 07-02-2018, 03:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

From last night, 80mm triplet, unguided eq6, half an hour approx taking 30 sec, 10 dark frames, 1600 iso, deep sky stack small adjustment in gimp cropped 50% nikon at medium image (did this to speed up stacking time)
Wanted to see what it looks like posted.
alex
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (yyyy.jpg)
48.5 KB20 views

Last edited by xelasnave; 07-02-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:23 PM
PKay (Peter)

Way 2go Alex.

Givin it all!!

Hey mate , wait till you see what has come from the 12" monster...
Old 07-02-2018, 04:32 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKay View Post
Way 2go Alex.

Givin it all!!

Hey mate , wait till you see what has come from the 12" monster...
Not a hernia I hope.
You sound excited...
The little scope is so handy..I have the eq6 on a pier which still has to be bolted down but I want to put the "box" or "cube observatory" in place first...however I take off the tempory covering and take out the 80mm with camera and guide scope in place so I am enjoying the ease of having a go...I could not find the Seagull Nebula but by the time it would be between the trees I was tired...I took a few shots guessing where it was but no show.
I need to use the goto function I guess rather than search hopelessly. .
I am looking forward to your 12 inch results.
Alex