Old 10-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Imme (Jon)

Plate solving

Hi guys, anyone have advice for a good plate solving program for a Nikon d5100......seems most of the software out there only supports canon!

What works....what doesn't....what are the nikon guys solving with?
Old 10-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

All sky plate solve will solve any image you throw at it......
Old 10-09-2017, 07:13 PM
Imme (Jon)

Thanks Merlin.....I'll check it out
Old 10-09-2017, 08:02 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Are you wanting general plate solving or one that can be used out in the field without an internet connection?
Old 11-09-2017, 08:23 AM
Imme (Jon)

Hi Colin, I'm setting up an Ob's as we speak so can go down the internet connection route.
My issue is (I think it's an issue) is I'm running a Nikon D5100 as an imaging camera and I cant seem to find anything that will seamlessly integrate through ASCOM/EQMOD to align my mount with targets.
I'm currently setup with a EQ5 mount, PHD2 for Guiding and had downloaded APT for camera control however after finding out Nikon isn't supported by it I am now using Digicamcontrol which allows me a live view........I'd really like to be able to plate solve in an integrated way....using the imaging program
Old 11-09-2017, 08:51 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

If you get Sequence Generator Pro you can use that as your camera control and it does plate solve with Nikons well.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:35 AM
glend (Glen)

Just my personal opinion, try imaging without plate solving. IMHO you don't need it, if your in an observatory with a mount precisley aligned to the SCT. I have never used it or seen a real need for it. I have a simple manual rotator on my T-Adaptor, and find that is all I ever need, well maybe a little touch on the control buttons. Using SGP Frame and Focus, and the target rectile, and loading (in SGP) a previous session image for reference, I can quickly (in seconds) nudge (if needed) the target orientation to match my last session on that target. I use DSS and it has no problem with my subs.
I think there is a developing over dependency on more and more software apps to do things for us that we can do ourselves. If you learn to match them manually, you will have a much better understanding of your mount controls, and the target orientation in the sky. This is how it was done before Plate Solving.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:36 AM
Imme (Jon)

Hi Atmos, thanks.

Is that the full or lite version?

Not opposed to paying for the full version if needed.....but if I don't have to it leaves more $'s to spend on other things!