Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Missedapproach (Ben)

Meade Starnavigator 102 refractor

Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these Meade scopes. I currently have a 114 reflector and 2 70mm refractors. I have seen these and like the idea of a easy to use GOTO mount as I love looking but really lack the skill in finding objects. I have a motorised eq2 mount but once again lack the skills to reliably set it up so it tracks accurately.

I am sick of looking at the moon lol
Old 24-06-2015, 09:58 PM
Missedapproach (Ben)

Anyone?
Old 24-06-2015, 10:25 PM
blink138 (Pat)

hmmm ben it will still be strictly limited to brighter objects........... like the moon
it is very doubtful it will be any good for any deep sky objects
check out some go to dobsonians like about 200mm diameter, then you will be seeing a lot more of the fainter objects and will really open up the universe for you
pat
Old 25-06-2015, 12:13 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

Ben, please don't take this wroung but I think you need to learn the sky a bit more as well. I started with a 114\900 reflector as you did and between using Stellarium and just getting out there and searching methodically I could easily enough find M42, planets and even a comet with it. The hard part with a smaller scope I found is that because an object is not eyeball visible just 'blind' searching will not work unless you are lucky and just stumble across objects.
I started around the Cru region with it's little clusters and slowly moved up towards Eta Carina where I could just see the nebula but the scope still easily picked up Wishing Well and other cluster goups in that area.
About that time I decided I needed more aperture and built the 10" Dob so be careful, it is contagious !
The 102mm is smaller than your 114mm so although it might find objects they will not necessarily be easily seen. Aperture is the answer and an 8" or 10" dob is the best cost effective answer to that.
Old 19-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Missedapproach (Ben)

No offence taken, I am probably just looking for something that can easily track and is easy to grab and go
Old 27-07-2015, 02:13 PM
dannat (Daniel)
daniel

the meade 102 will do fine [most likely a better image than 114 newtonian] -keep in mind the goto won't be perfect -you'll have to take time to align as best you can , but from time to time these mounts don't put obj in the fov

what kind of money is it avail for?
Old 28-07-2015, 12:35 AM
Willow127mm (Brad)
Not if it's not hard.

Meade102

Hi Ben this was my first half decent scope and it was a pretty good choice considering the money I had at the time.
I paid $479 from memory not bad for a Goto 4 inch refractor.
But of course you always get what you pay for and it did leave me wanting to some degree.
If your having problems setting up your Mount now you will probably find that the 102 will cause you some headaches as well.
Although you can get them aligned it can be cumbersome.
The mount is fairly light weight so vibration and general stediness become issues.
it just feels like the scope is a little heavy for the mount.
but on the upside the views are quite good through this scope especially on the planets.
however the vibration at high magnification was just unbearable.
I found myself using 20mm FL most of the time but could still get a decent look at some good star clusters, nebula so on.
I found the views of these very clear compared to my first newt which although gave brighter views wasn't very crisp.
I did have some good night's out with this scope and my kids and their friends certainly enjoyed it so not a total loss.
At the end of the day you get what you pay for and what you gain in one area is probably a sacrifice in another unfortunately it's the way it goes.
good luck hope this helps you make your choice.
Cheers Brad

Last edited by Willow127mm; 28-07-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:22 PM
Missedapproach (Ben)

Thanks Brad and Dannat.
The now are $595 so I was still thinking that was a good price. Brad your reply answered all my questions thank you.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:16 PM
raymo

You might find a used Go To 8" Dobsonian for just under $1000; that
would tick all your boxes.
raymo