Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20-07-2015, 11:04 AM
glend (Glen)

ZWO305 Lightweight Newt Pricing

I have been having an email conversation with Sam at ZWO regarding their new product line of lightweight newtonians. I finally received a price for the ZWO305 (12") f5 newt of $1480, which I assume is an AUD price. He indicates they are almost ready for market. No indication yet of shipping charges if purchased directly (which they say I can do). I believe the OTA is going to weigh about 12kg, obviously without a guidescope and other accessories - so it should be end up comfortably within a NEQ6 imaging limit (assuming it is setup to be used for imaging - no secondary or focuser details yet). It's hard to understand where ZWO is positioning this product line in the marketplace, and the optical quality is yet to be determined. You only have to look at local GSO 12" f5 newt pricing to see they are putting a significant premium on these new lightweights. Time will tell.
Old 20-07-2015, 11:46 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

interesting stuff Glen, yes that is very light for a 12" scope, I wonder how sturdy they are too?
Old 21-07-2015, 09:42 AM
glend (Glen)

Pricing Update

I had a follow up email from ZWO answering some additional questions:

The price of $1480 is in USD, so converted to AUD that is $2007 on current rates. There is also a $150 USD shipping charge, so add another $200 AUD for that. Then you will be hit with GST on the combined value, so add $220 AUD for that. I make that out to $2447 AUD to get it to you.

That seems like a lot of money for a new design newt, with no clear optical specs, no user feedback, in that size, by a manufacturer with no track record in this sort of product. I will pass.

I did point out to the ZWO contact that they are up against (in this market) a 12" GSO f5 newt with a proven history at $899 AUD locally - no response. Sure the GSO is heavier and that's a problem for some but is it a big enough advantage for ZWO? I don't understand their marketing strategy.
Old 21-07-2015, 09:46 AM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post

The price of $1480 is in USD, so converted to AUD that is $2007 on current rates. There is also a $150 USD shipping charge, so add another $200 AUD for that. Then you will be hit with GST on the combined value, so add $220 AUD for that. I make that out to $2447 AUD to get it to you.

That seems like a lot of money for a new design newt, with no clear optical specs, no user feedback, in that size, by a manufacturer with no track record in this sort of product. I will pass.

I did point out to the ZWO contact that they are up against (in this market) a 12" GSO f5 newt with a proven history at $899 AUD locally - no response. Sure the GSO is heavier and that's a problem for some but is it a big enough advantage for ZWO? I don't understand their marketing strategy.
yep that is really getting up there for that price.
I guess it would be more comparable to the carbon fibre newts, does anybody know if GSO are going to be releasing CF truss newts?
Old 21-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Satchmo

Whilst we are on reality checks I would add that you will need to get an agent to clear this this through customs or you will face an onerous amount of paperwork and the actual bank rate when you pay will be on average 3% worse than the official exchange rate . I would make an educated guess that you would be looking at closer to $2800 to import .

Quote:

Old 23-07-2015, 08:44 PM
Troy

Quote:
and the optical quality is yet to be determined. You only have to look at local GSO 12" f5 newt pricing to see they are putting a significant premium on these new lightweights. Time will tell.
If the optics are like it's little brother (153mm f4 carbon newt) then the optics are basically diffraction limited just a small amount better, 0.88 Strehl Ratio. The carbon fibre tube for the zwo 12" f5 would be around 700-800 dollars and then optics etc... on top of that. The price of around 1500 AUD is not that bad.

SkyWatcher advertise their optics to be diffraction limited (0.82 Strehl)

While GSO optics sound good with big numbers when you get down to the nitty gritty it's diffraction limited also 0.82 Strehl ratio.
Old 23-07-2015, 09:09 PM
glend (Glen)

It's not a tube scope, it has a open truss system that looks like a Mechano set build. Check out the images here: Scroll down to the scope.

http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Optics/305/index.asp
Old 23-07-2015, 09:54 PM
Troy

I though ZWO was introducing a new product line like the 135 f4 carbon newt. The link you gave me is to the old website though. The truss design does not appear on the new website any more
The ZWO website currency is in USD so the AUD price should be double checked.
Old 24-07-2015, 07:39 AM
Kunama

Quote:
It's not a tube scope, it has a open truss system that looks like a Mechano set build. Check out the images here: Scroll down to the scope.

http://www.zwoptical.com/Eng/Optics/305/index.asp
I doubt that this will be very stable design, the dovetail bars are bolted to very weak looking cross-drilled bars and the square cage in the centre of it all has no diagonal bracing.
Old 24-07-2015, 09:05 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy View Post
I though ZWO was introducing a new product line like the 135 f4 carbon newt. The link you gave me is to the old website though. The truss design does not appear on the new website any more
The ZWO website currency is in USD so the AUD price should be double checked.
The information I presented here came directly from ZWO via enail to me in response to my
questions. The newt design is still on the ZWO Optical website but is not in the 'Store' like the small tube newt. Yes pricing, as I clarified, is listed in USD in the emails I received from Sam. I have no resson to make this stuff up or mis-represent ZWO's marketing plans. I have a more recent final product image attached go an email and will try to post it here.

I am not endorsing, spuiking, or marketing, or being their advocate - simply sharing what i found out by asking.