Old 01-07-2009, 11:10 PM
sootyandsweep

Qhy9

Hi there

I've been thinking of buying one of these cameras - on paper they sound like exactly what I'm looking for. However, I've joined the QHY forum and it appears that these cameras have lots of faults. Is there anyone out there that has bought one that works perfectly. If so, could you give me your opinion on it.

Thanks

Robert
Old 02-07-2009, 05:21 AM
gbeal

Robert,
I'll be first here. I don't own one, and at this stage have no real intentions of owning one. I have had experiences with the QHY family, and was around at the start of the line. I currently own a QHY8.
While some of them seem to have had teething problems I feel this can and does happen with any new product. Given you are in Australia then the obvious choice is to talk with the local agent, Theo, and buy from him as well.
I am extremely happy with the QHY8, and feel there is little out there that offers the bang for buck it does. Ditto with the QHY5, it is becoming the default guider.
BTW, welcome aboard.
Gary
Old 02-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Hagar (Doug)

Hi Robert, I don't know at what stage of the imaging slippery slide you are up to but can say. I owned a QHY9 and like all QHY cameras they are quite nice cameras but the QHY9 fault list seems huge but in real terms almost every problem has been addressed by QUI. The cameras are quite stable and give very nice results.. I for one didn't enjoy LRGB imaging. I found it very time consuming compared to the QHY8 OSC and the results I was getting were no better. Bear in mind I didn't want the camera for NB imaging just RGB and found the QHY8 a much easier process. The Kodak CCD is a nice sized chip but quite noisy requiring a lot of dark subtraction. That aside the mono CCD is sooooooo sensitive and should I reinvent myself back to black and white or Mono Ha I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Irrespective of which camera you choose is it is from the QHY range speak to THeo/ Gama on this forum, his knowledge and after sales service is second to none. Nothing is to much trouble for him. I can't praise this side of the buisness enough.

Good luck with it.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 AM
CometGuy

Mine has worked perfectly since I recieved it 2 months ago. I've used it extensively since.

Also support is excellent from Theo and the Qhyccd forum.

As for frosting, I don't see any problems from Brisbane and -10 C. Banding is there but too small to be of any real consequence.

Terry
Old 02-07-2009, 11:52 AM
sootyandsweep

Thanks for all your responses. It's always good to hear of other people's experiences before parting with a lot of money.

I thin I will go for one. I had considered an QHY8 Gary but I do a lot of narrow band so the most sensitive camera is the best for me.

Robert
Old 02-07-2009, 12:30 PM
gbeal

Hi Robert,
it was a sort of loaded answer, as the QHY8 provides all the "pretty pictures" I need (as it does for others, Hagar etc).
I do Ha imaging with my QHY8 as well, so unless you are a real die-hard it can work.
Regards,
Gary
Old 02-07-2009, 04:33 PM
AlexN
Tunnel Vision

some of the most amazing tri-colour narrowband images I've seen have come out of QHY8's... That said, I think there is undoubtedly a few advantages to shooting narrowband with a mono sensor... I think you could do MUCH MUCH worse than buying a QHY9.. By far the cheapest way to get into a KAF-8300 mono sensor..

good luck, and as others have said, speak to Theo (Gama) as He's the local distributor, he can answer any of your questions regarding these cameras.. Probably better than anyone else..

Cheers.
Alex.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Gama

As some have said, when the first QHY-9's were released late last year, there was some issues with minor things, like stray light from the L.E.D's leaking inside during Darks, etc.. But as with anyhing new regardless what, the first versions will always have minor bugs or improvements needed.
I held bringing in any new models until i felt i was confidant enough most of the big events are taken care off.
If you recall, the same was for the QHY-8, people said it was unreliable, too many problems etc. Now its one of the most used and sort after cameras. Theres not many that come up for resale, and when they do, there snapped up.
The biggest issue with the QHY-9 was that users applied too much power to the camera (15V, 18V etc instead of 12), and damaged the shutter assembly board. The newer design prevented users errors, and at the same time improved the features of the camera. Best of all, every camera was refitted with the newer designed shutter board at no cost.
Of course, there is times when an individual has an issue with his camera, but that doesnt mean eveyone has the same fault. This is on parr with other manufacturers models too, as there are many big name manufacturers cameras failing in the field too.

But in a nutshell, electronically, there is absolutely no problems.
The only issues currently being investigated, is trying to get the camera to work in High humidity, like >90%. At these levels, anything will start to fog up, its like a turkish steam bath almost .
Anyway, if you need any further information, let me know by email.

Theo.
Old 03-07-2009, 10:28 PM
renormalised (Carl)
No More Infinities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gama View Post

....But in a nutshell, electronically, there is absolutely no problems.
The only issues currently being investigated, is trying to get the camera to work in High humidity, like >90%. At these levels, anything will start to fog up, its like a turkish steam bath almost ....

Theo.
That's why they're of no use up here in the north for at least 5-7 months of the year. 90% humidity is quite common during late spring-summer, and in any case you're wasting your time trying to image anything then. It's just too cloudy and the humidity ruins transparency completely.

On the other hand, winter is just perfect....zilch humidity and clear as glass, except when some joker is burning off!!!!.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Gama

Carl, you have the benefit of heat though. Most issues are caused by the high cold humidity.
Further, the Gel packs to be sold by QHY for any camera, not just QHY, have a huge absorption capability. Which is great for many cameras, and very small and thin, so fitting is simple.

Theo