Old 05-04-2014, 03:20 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Any Nikon users on the forum?

Hello.

I know this is pretty much a 'Canon users' only forum.But are their any Nikon users here?

I have been asked to write a wildlife/outdoor photography article for a national magazine.Will keep the mention of makes and models limited,but will have to briefly mention gear that can be used.So need to give a mix.

I am wondering what the similar Nikon model is to a Canon G1X / G12/G15 camera?

There are many Canon users here with 300 mm L F4 prime,100-400 mm L series zoom,and 400 mm L prime f5.6.

What are the similar models in Nikon? and roughly price-from my limited knowledge Nikon lenses they may not make these similar lenses,and are usually much more expensive.What is the grading structure of Nikon lenses? i.e -Canon has a few rungs in the ladder,with 'L' being quite high.
Nikon must have some similar?

Any help,would great-thanx
Old 05-04-2014, 04:05 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Have a look at the BH photo website or spot.lofici.com.au for a complete list of lenses, cameras with specs and prices. Nikon make equivalents of most if the lenses you listed, and are certainly direct competitors to Canon, so the fact that both companies still turn a profit means there really isn't any massive difference in value or quality, despite the blinkered opinions of millions of devotees of both brands.
Main difference I'm aware if is Nikons range of DX lenses, only suitable for crop sensors and hence cheaper than full frame. I don't think canon went that route.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:34 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alocky View Post
Have a look at the BH photo website or spot.lofici.com.au for a complete list of lenses, cameras with specs and prices. Nikon make equivalents of most if the lenses you listed, and are certainly direct competitors to Canon, so the fact that both companies still turn a profit means there really isn't any massive difference in value or quality, despite the blinkered opinions of millions of devotees of both brands.
Main difference I'm aware if is Nikons range of DX lenses, only suitable for crop sensors and hence cheaper than full frame. I don't think canon went that route.
Cheers,
Andrew.
Yes,thanks-that is the helpful viewpoints I am looking for,I had a look at 'Fred Miranda' site too.

Yes,certainly want to keep away from blinkered opinions,and keep away from the usual 'Ford vs Holden' type of views.

I'll check Fred Miranda site for what Nikon might make similar to a Canon G1X/G12
Old 05-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Nikon doesn't label their lenses as high or low quality. They consider all of their lenses to be optimal for a certain purpose and budget.

Most of their cheap kit zooms are excellent performers in terms of contrast and resolution, but in order to fit the target price range they contain design compromises such as leaving certain amounts of geometric distortion or CA, for example. Those aberrations are easily dealt with in PP (or in-camera in most cases these days) and don't diminish the usefulness of the lenses for their intended purpose.

Also, as mentioned, Nikon has a line of lenses for their DX format DLSRs, which are (usually) not useful with FX cameras. DX lenses are generally cheaper than FX lenses, but not automatically inferior.

Nikon has a 300mm f/4 lens, an 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 zoom, a 200-400mm f/4 zoom as well as fast 200mm f/2, 300mm f/2.8, 400mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4, 600mm f/4 and 800mm f/5.6 tele primes (I have never seen the latter in the flesh).

I'm not too familiar with Nikon's compact camera line-up, somebody else will be able to enlighten you there. I don't generally consider their compact cameras as desirable as those by some other makers. The Nikon 1 system is an exception, though.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:07 PM
hotspur (Chris)

thanks Steffen.

I also notice Nikon call their lenses 'Nikkor'.

Yes-the 300 F4 gets great reviews on FM,I notice they make a 80-400 and its around similar range of the Canon 100-400.

Be interested in feed back on larger 'compact' cameras they make.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:31 PM
killswitch (Edison)

If its got a gold ring on it and an N symbol (nano crystal coat), expect it to be pro quality and expensive. The new 80-400mm is a good prosumer level lens for wildlife/outdoors, short of the super tele primes.

As for compact and superzoom cameras, Nikon has their Coolpix range.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:41 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Check out www.dpreview.com best online camera resource out there. Side by side comparisons, reviews & recommendations etc. it's awesome. Btw I'm a Nikon user
Cheers
Andy
Old 06-04-2014, 09:12 PM
DavidTrap (David)
Really just a beginner

Ed has summed it up quite well.

Nikon don't have a modern equivalent of the Canon 400 f5.6. The 300 F4 gets good reviews and can be coupled with a 1.4x teleconverter to achieve a similar result. The 80-400 is the "entry-level" long zoom lens, after that, the prices become really offensive!

Not sure about their compact stuff - we've got a G12 for that side of things.

DT
Old 06-04-2014, 10:02 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
If its got a gold ring on it and an N symbol (nano crystal coat), expect it to be pro quality and expensive.
In general, yes. Note that some DX lenses have "earned" the gold ring too, like the 17-55mm f/2.8, the 12-24mm f/4 and the delightful 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye. No DX lens has been given the nano-crystal treatment so far.

Quote:
The new 80-400mm is a good prosumer level lens for wildlife/outdoors, short of the super tele primes.
Yes, unlike the original version (which was a bit of a dog) the new AF-S version of the 80-400 is very decent.

As for the larger "compacts" like the Coolpix P series, I personally don't see much of a point in those, given the size, price and capabilities of the D3300/D5300 DSLRs.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:19 AM
killswitch (Edison)

Another wildlife lens thats worth a mention is the most recent Sigma 120-300mm f2.8. Its not made by Nikon but you can get it on a Nikon Mount.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Star Hunter

I use the Sigma 120-300/2.8 with the D3S along with a Canon 24-70/2.8 and 1DMkIV. Both are mounted on an EQ6 and guided with a B&L 1000/10 g/scope and Orion SSAG. All give superlative results.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 PM
hotspur (Chris)

Thanks everyone,some helpful and useful information.I'll be able to go forward and make use of it

That sigma 120-300 F 2.8 lens sounds interesting,it would be fairly large and heavy I guess-anyone here using one,be interesting to hear about it and see some images.