Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17-08-2018, 06:00 PM
andreaconsole

First time under the southern sky

Hi everyone! I'm Andrea, an Italian amateur astronomer currently living in Germany. To be totally fair, I must say that I don't expect to become an active user of this forum since I live on the other side of the globe. In reality, I'm here for just one question: in a few days, I will go to Australia for the first time on honeymoon. In particular, I will be in the Uluru area in September, just in time for the Uluru Astronomy Weekend (https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/e...ronomy-weekend), which looks like a big event for amateur astronomers in Australia (and which, by the way, seems to be a little late for the new moon of September). Surprisingly, I couldn't find any information on it in this forum. In particular, I would like to know if anybody of you has ever been there and if the event includes something like a star party (I've found no information about that on the website). Since I will not have the possibility to carry more than small binoculars with me, I strongly hope to join a group of amateur astronomers, hopefully with a big Dobson telescope, to enjoy the wonders of the southern sky. What can you tell me?

Additionally, here you can see part of my travel plan, just in the case you can suggest me any other astronomy related event:

01/09 Melbourne

02/09 Excursion to Phillips Island

03/09 Transfer by car to Melbourne-Port Campbell

05/09 Transfer Port Campbell-Robe

06/09 Transfer Robe-Victor Harbor

07/09 Transfer Victor Harbor-Cape Jervis and ferry to Kangaroo Island

08/09 Visit Kangaroo Island

09/09 Ferry and transfer to Adelaide

10/09 Flight Adelaide-Cairns

11/09 Coral reef tour

12/09 Rental car pick-up and transfer to Cape Tribulation

13/09 Transfer Cape Tribulation-Cairns

14/09 Flight Cairns-Ayers Rock

16/09 Transfer Ayers Rock-Kings Canyon

17/09 Transfer Kings Canyon-Alice Spring

18/09 Flight Alice Spring-Sydney
Old 17-08-2018, 06:15 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I am not familiar with the Ularu astro weekend but if you can get away from the lights of the resort you should have the chance of some really stunning skies. There is plenty of stuff around the south celestial pole that is very worthwhile with binoculars.

If you are able to get some sky views when at Phillip Island it is a good chance to see stuff down lower around the pole given from the southern coast of Phillip Island the next thing is Tasmania or King Island, over 150KM away!
Old 17-08-2018, 06:52 PM
andreaconsole

Thank you, Paul. I'm sure that a pair of binoculars is better than nothing, and they are probably the best option to watch the Magellanic Clouds. However, I'm sure I will miss my 300mm ball-dobson very much! In particular, I'm eager to finally see Centaurus A (NGC 5128), and I hope to have a chance to do so!
Old 17-08-2018, 06:56 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Andrea,

I am sorry to say, but the Uluru astronomy event looks like a bit of a tourist trap, without much amateur involvement.
Your itinerary is a bit tight, but the previous week in South Australia would be the time to contact astronomers with big dobs. Unfortunately you are not coming to NSW where most of us are.
I suggest you just enjoy your honeymoon and start saving for a real trip down under to mix with fellow astronomers who will show you the delights of the southern skies. April/June is the best time to visit, and it can be very cheap once here if you stay with fellow enthusiasts.
Old 17-08-2018, 07:04 PM
andreaconsole

Thank you, John. I had the same impression, but I didn't dare to say it. However, I will try to get the best out of it. Fortunately, astronomy has never been a priority in this travel... I will look for other opportunities in the future.
Old 17-08-2018, 07:35 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Ignoring anything else, if while at Uluru you can get yourself well away from the lights, the galactic center will really wow you and you don't even need binoculars for that.
Old 17-08-2018, 07:40 PM
andreaconsole

Perfect, thanks again!
Old 17-08-2018, 07:55 PM
spiezzy

Hi Andrea definitely take your binos you will see heaps up there but as a couple of people have mentioned see if you can get away from the light of the resort it will be worth it the skies i the NT are fantastic enjoy your honeymoon
cheers Pete
Old 17-08-2018, 08:02 PM
andreaconsole

Thank you, Pete!
Old 17-08-2018, 08:53 PM
leon

I will go to Australia for the first time on honeymoon, well if there are no stars to be seen, I say no more.

Leon
Old 17-08-2018, 09:11 PM
andreaconsole

Old 17-08-2018, 09:11 PM
Ausrock (Chris)

Andrea,

Your travel plans leave little spare time and I would suggest if you enjoy both the sky and especially this vast land, that as already been suggested, you plan another trip in the future.

If, in the future, you manage to return, I'll say this...........we recently spent a week in Broome (in Australia's north west), approx., 1200km from Darwin. Coming from the East coast it was a revelation. Provided you travelled in the dry season, April to November, you would be experiencing 27-30C temps.

Why I suggest this is that there is a guy, (Greg Quick) who reqularly runs astro nights, yes, it costs $, but as I understand it, he has an array of dobs and SCTs available.......Google "Broome astro tours".

Enjoy your honeymoon and keep an open mind.

Chris
Old 18-08-2018, 07:54 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

YES. Ayers Rock Resort (Yulara) does have an Astronomy tour.
I think they are called Voyages Outback Sky Journeys.
Try and google it.
Or just go to the Tourist Information Centre there.
They are very helpful.

But make sure you take the Uluru Sunset Tour.
Really special. With complimentary Champagne and nibblies!

I am sure you will enjoy. That is a special part of Australia.
And Kings Canyon is spectacular too.

BTW - Love your Ball Dob.!!!
Old 20-08-2018, 05:44 PM
andreaconsole

Thank you, guys!
I don't know if I will come back to Australia just for the sky: Africa is far closer to Europe and they have astonishing astronomical resorts in Namibia. Nevertheless, I thank you all, and in particular Allan_L (thank you for your kind words on my ball-scope), for the very useful hints!