Old 28-07-2018, 03:30 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Electric focuser.

Any suggestions for a easy way to add electric focuser to a a 80 mm espirt?
So it can be controled via the computer...maybe heat sensor?
Alex
Old 28-07-2018, 03:34 PM
leon

Alex, not to be hash probably, no
Old 28-07-2018, 04:29 PM
Benjamin (Ben)

You could try contacting Leon Palmer at Rigel Systems. I use his stepper motors, custom built brackets and nSTEP controller to control the focuser on my BD ED80, 8” Newt and ED100. Works seamlessly in Sequence Generator Pro. I have it setup to autofocus at the start of the sequence, on filter change and every 1° drop in temp. It comes with a free temp sensor too. Installing it took a wee bit of fiddling but got there in the end. Once the brackets are on you can detach the motor at will to transfer between scopes if needs be.
Old 28-07-2018, 04:41 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

I’ve got a SharpSky Pro that works brilliantly on my 130mm refractor but many people also use a RoboFocus. In the cheaper side there is also a Sky Watcher focus motor. Without a temperature sensor you can have it refocus every hour.

With SharpSky, when you order the focuser he’ll 3D print a custom bracket for you
Old 28-07-2018, 06:47 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

I would love an electric focuser for my Esprit. Although the telescope is Sky-Watcher, I'm led to believe the Sky-Watcher electric focuser doesn't fit the Esprits. I've been quoted a complete replacement Feathertouch focuser with stepper motor for $1900 - hard to justify when it's 2/3 the price of the scope!
Old 28-07-2018, 06:50 PM
Merlin66 (Ken)

Kevin,
I’ve been successful in fitting the SW focus motor to all my refractors, worst case this means using a belt drive to a 10:1 focus knob.
Old 28-07-2018, 08:06 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

In the future if i get an APO refractor such as this Esprit or anything else then i am thinking to use one of two focusers, either a Moonlite or FeatherTouch one, both can be used with a motorized focuser device, but i am not in rush as i am still spending on another things and still learning, so i won't jump quickly to that.

I saw a store selling Pegasus system for autofocusing, not sure about that system performance, but i feel that anything is better than nothing, it will always be easier than my manual focusing anyway, and temp here is nearly constant every night so the change isn't that huge or big to need a precise or accurate autofocusing with temp control.
Old 28-07-2018, 08:52 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The Skywatcher can be controlled via ASCOM which I should have known as I have one on the eight inch... $100 for one and you need a twenty dollar cable.
I would like to mountvit with a bracket coming off the foot that sits on the mount and use a belt drive so the motor can be located inboard under the focuser but not on it.
Alex
Old 28-07-2018, 08:58 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

It may not be temp controlled but that would be a big step forward not to have to go near the scope.
And I gather I will be able to open and close the cube via ASCOM.
So I will get that focuser and lead for $120 it will be a start.
You sure can spend some cask on a focuser...but if that is what it takes..I mean you may have a great scope and get more out of it...that would seem the case...like flinching at the price of a good eye piece.
Alex
Old 28-07-2018, 09:06 PM
acropolite (Phil)

+1 for the Sharpsky pro, as Collin pounted out the sharpsky has temperature compensation as well as inbuilt dew heater controller. The sharpsky is beautifully engineered and support from Dave Trewen is excellent. I did a bit of a write up on it when I bought mine. http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/s...d.php?t=112059

The sharpsky site www.sharpsky.net

Last edited by acropolite; 28-07-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 28-07-2018, 11:31 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Yes very impressive and the end game I hope.
The $120 solution is a placeholder...I hope.
Alex