Old 27-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Daveskywill (David)

Hi: I got an ioptron cem120ec2

Hi: my mount has all the deluxe features of ioptron's cem120 line...the best. I guess you could say. It has even high res encoders on the RA and Dec....and has provision for training-out tube flexture and atmospheric refraction. Whew.

So here's a snippet from some post I gave the guys I'm following from Cloudy Nights...who some of them own either the ec or ec2 (like me) whew it was expensive.

But now, I'm hoping to get into LRGB deep-sky. And wish I had a 14" Celestron
RASA.

But wish I had a FLI Kepler on an apo refractor piggybacked on top of a cat using a smaller chip...on this mount so I could image either wide angle on top or narrow, high mag at the base.

Any advice? Thanks! See you:

One guy asked if I had much use of my new mount and I said:

Nope, not much usage...just been reading though parts of the owner's manual, unboxed it. And set it up, un-locked the locks and engaged the clutches...then with the hc plugged-in powered it on. And ran through a bit of stuff.

Basically slew...and time/date and stuff. Checked that the GPS auto-entered the lat. long and it did..and was right! But did you have this trouble. I had a difficult time, at first, finding the power switch. Like on my cem60 it was a rocker switch...

on the right hand side. But on this one it's a push on / push off switch at the bottom back, just to the right of the power input. Wow. Needed that in the manual. I thought.

No real...scope time usage though. And that's partly because, I don't have an ioptron pier nor do I currently have my observatory, I want to put it into, built yet! So we need to see about that. I know how important it is to put an observatory where it's clear.

in the sky that is. And feel a little let down, since my relatives are sometimes trying hard to make me stay here, in Indiana...and my dad passed away, at 96 and my mom is only 20 years younger...and I'm staying with her, to help her out in her older years.

She may have Alzheimers. Currently my mount is indoors, setup on the floor with a white towel over it, trying to protect it from light from our sunroof and any dust, and stuff that could get into it. Like we in Indiana live in the corn belt and when I was up in Michigan,

even southern MI, we had corn and better skies, at bit. And the corn thing and how close you are to a field where they harvest Is important. Because, during that harvest season, they will stir-up a lot of debris. into the air...and that micro stuff can get into almost everywhere.

Sometimes, my response was to shut my obs. up tight, and also maybe put a bit plastic trash bag over my telescope and mount....but the bag needs to be a big one...and if you're lucky you can be in communication with the farmer and get a more refined idea of when they are harvesting.

Which that season will be soon, for our corn and beans. The 2 bad crops where they let them dry out before harvesting.

PS: any recommendations on mounting this mount onto a Pier Tech 2 or 3? I feel I need my setup to be able to raise and lower. And I do know that these piers can allow a certain amount of polar drift during some of its travel; up and down. And heard it can be as bad as like 1/2 arcminute deviation.

Is that too bad, for my setup? Like I know that is 30 arcseconds. and sounds bad, because using 2 star alignment, one person I know (Paul Chasse, a beta tester for iopron, who only tests the 60's) says the 2 star is a good way of polar alignment: it tells you how much to move your mount with alt/and az. to

polar align. And it can get things down to like 1 arc second. polar error.

I did deem that I need a Pier Tech, because need to raise and lower my setup to get it higher, for one thing avoids the bad air of being lower in the atm., then there's it would allow me to image lower and keep a wall on the obs that doesn't require me to fold down the top 1.5 feet or so of it. Which in my opinion only

invites rain leaks. So that is a problem. Currently I'm trying to think-through and figure out how I'm going to have my observatory. Basically, after my dad passed, I live with my mom and she has her daughter who has daughter and she has a daughter, but the other 3 daughters don't say with mom and I.

My dad was a WW II vet. fought under Gen Patton's 3rd Army. and was buried with a Bronze Star honorable discharge and military burial. So even though I miss him, he was getting up there in years and we knew he might pass. My sister is that 1st daughter....who her and her husband own the land and

home out in the country, where I might have my observatory. And to the north is South Bend, IN.

I know that typically a person should mount the scope with the most fl closest to the mount, then work your way out and away. Partly because that will be bigger in dia and partly because the flexture, that the longer fl doesn't tolerate bobbing up and down..will be closer.

And things need to be stacked like a upright pyramid. It's good to use a cat with a small sensor for high mag. work and then an apo refractor piggybacked with a large sensor for wide angle work above. Isn't this right?

Yet my setup, I plan, on making my Celestron 11" RASA as my base scope then a 10" Orion Newt. as my piggybacked one. And at least that 10" is a lighter one.

Gonna need deluxe clambshell tube rings for that.

But maybe I'll choose to have an obs with the top 1.some feet roll with the roof too so I don't have to fold it down. Then just build a permanent pier. or do they make metal hand crank piers...like a manual version of the Pier Tech? that keep their polar alignment? better.

That's what I had up i Michigan...a 6" thick of concrete slab, that I had retro fitted a concrete pier (12 dia) to and made a plexiglass lazy susan eyepiece holding thing that could actually rotate around the concrete pier.

Still got the plexiglass thing, but it's probably made for too small as I deem that I'll need more like 18" dia or so sonotube of concrete for my newer pier...if I go with that..Any advice?

Wish I could move to where the skies are better and start using LRGB astro FLI Kepler camera and stuff! Whew! That'd be great!

Well talk to you guys later.

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (1download.jpg)
5.2 KB17 views
Old 28-07-2018, 04:32 AM
Daveskywill (David)

side by side

And I'd like to mount the 2 scopes side-by-side, but

One's heavier than the other one...and that means I'd need to use counter weights, and maybe add a dovetail bar to the side of the parallax clambshell rings on the Newtonian...and then maybe that'd allow me to alide the weights up and down and I could screw the weights in an out to adjust...maybe that's doable but, I'd like to get a heavy-duty H, side by side mount...and one that has about 24" of width...any ideas?
Old 28-07-2018, 08:29 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I would go for one scope per mount...in other words you may need a larger observatory.
Alex
Old 28-07-2018, 08:01 PM
TareqPhoto (Tareq)

Will watch you thread as this mount is likely more affordable to me in the future than AP/Paramount/Micron mounts, i can't justify something nearly $9k-15k for just a mount, so hope this one can accomplish the mission then.