Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2014, 06:27 PM
rogerg (Roger)

SharpSky Pro - installed!

Hi all,

Very happy to finally have my SharpSky Pro focuser installed and working both connected to the PC and manually.

Manual operation was achieved a while ago, but various factors delayed full operation:
- bushfires
- lack of time
- hot days and nights
- problems with ASCOM and my computer
- USB hub issues

.. but .. happy now.

Great support from Dave @ SharpSky.

Regards,
Roger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (2014-02-08-11.29.08-sharpsky-pro-web.jpg)
105.5 KB96 views
Click for full-size image (2014-02-08-11.29.17-sharpsky-pro-web.jpg)
82.3 KB92 views
Click for full-size image (2014-02-08-11.28.57-sharpsky-pro-web.jpg)
114.1 KB92 views
Click for full-size image (2014-02-08-11.30.35-sharpsky-pro-web.jpg)
130.8 KB84 views
Old 08-02-2014, 07:09 PM
allan gould

Very nice, Roger. I'm sure you will get as much pleasure out of your as I do mine. Couldn't do without it now and coupled with SGP clear sharp subs from the focus/temperature control.
Allan
Old 08-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Logieberra (Logan)

Very nice Roger. How do these compare to Robofocus? What sets these schnazzy kits apart? Cheers.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:16 PM
rogerg (Roger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan gould View Post
Very nice, Roger. I'm sure you will get as much pleasure out of your as I do mine. Couldn't do without it now and coupled with SGP clear sharp subs from the focus/temperature control.
Allan
I'm looking forward to getting to know it more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logieberra View Post
Very nice Roger. How do these compare to Robofocus? What sets these schnazzy kits apart? Cheers.
To be honest there's very little that sets them apart. I'l be doing a full review once I've used it more and will comment on the differences then. I'll post an update here when I do.
Old 14-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Sorry to revive an old thread.

Roger, are you able to comment, re: Sharpsky Pro vs RoboFocus?

I have the 3FI RoboFocus, but, I've never been able to use it. When I first bought it and tried setting it up, on my first V-curve run, the focuser decided to ramp in and out constantly. I ended up sending the unit back to the vendor to get it fixed. It took months to get it back. In the mean time, I just got used to using a Bahtinov Mask and the Bat Grabber software to fine tune the focus by hand. Not exactly perfect when dealing with a 55 micron critical focus zone.

On the weekend, I went out to the dark sky property where I had my gear set up and tore it all down (moving to the Sunshine Coast) and noticed that the RoboFocus on/off switch is busted. I opened the unit, and, while the switch can likely be replaced, I like the look of the Sharpsky Pro. I only came across it in an unrelated thread and thought I'd do a search to find more information.

The product looks really well built and the support behind the device looks to be good, too.

Any words of wisdom since you've had it installed? I am wondering whether I continue down the RoboFocus path after fixing the on/off switch, or, just completely switch over to this new snazzy system.

Cheers!

H

Last edited by Octane; 15-04-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Old 15-04-2014, 11:00 AM
rogerg (Roger)

I have the RoboFocus on my 12" and SharpSky on my 90mm refractor. So my comparison is not apples for apples, but ...

SharpSky quality of service: excellent. Very helpful with some ASCOM issues I had and he did everything he could to get it to me ASAP.

Product quality: It feels every bit the high quality and well built piece of equipment it looks in the photo's. Neat well sealed boxes, plugs, cables, etc.

Accuracy: I've auto focussed on the 90mm no problem, using manual controlls is easy and the fineness of movement able to be controlled from very course to very fine (too fine for my 90mm, at it's finest). Most of my use has so far been using the manual hand control and certainly it's finest pre-configured setting is extremely fine. Movements are repeatable in both directions without any backlash or such that I've found.

Usability: I find the turn dial and press button easier than the RoboFocus two button controls. I find the cable length to the hand controller on the SharpSky too short and need to extend it, it's a bit annoyingly short for my scenario, but it would depend where you mount the main control box, for me it's on the ground, if it was at mount height you'd be fine. Software is easy to use to configure firmware settings but I did have initial trouble getting it talking to my PC, ended up uninstalling all ASCOM and SharpSky driver and re-installing and then worked. We still aren't sure why it didn't work first time round.

In the end they both do a flawless job of focusing. The Sharpsky is packaged neater, I prefer it for a portable setup. I can't think of a technical reason to buy one over the other as they both have very fine movements, repeatable movements, accurate PC control. I do wonder if the movement steps of the Sharpsky are actually finer than my RoboFocus, but not sure how I'd quantify that and not sure I have the time to bother

If I bought another one right now, I'd probably just go SharpSky but either would work fine. If you are looking at the cost difference of a new switch of trivial cost or a new focuser of $500, it might not be worth the $500.

Old 15-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Thanks for your insight, mate!

I'll hold on to the RoboFocus for now. If I can't fix it, I'll turf it and get the Sharpsky Pro.

H
Old 15-04-2014, 12:10 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I bought ANOTHER Sharpsky recently - still working out the mounting details, but trial runs off scope are excellent.

Customer servie is OUTSTANDING - Dave is one heck of a guy. He custom drilled my adapter twice now for the Vixen and the Takahashi. No charge, just did it. He helped me through step by step determining if the Sharpsky will work precisely with the f/3.6 system, which it does.

Not wanting to remove ANYTHING from the Tak (I have a habit of misplacing things), I am getting my machinist to turn up a compression type adaptor (will post pics when I get it), and the motor itself I made an angled bracket for that mounts to the Losandy plate, NOT to the scope in any way (and it is still more than rigid enough, using 3 mm thick aluminium bar stock).

Just to actually use it now.
Old 18-04-2014, 12:36 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I fixed my RoboFocus last night. Cost me $8.80; saved myself $300+ on a new controller unit.

Now, to find a RS232-USB adapter that works. The same adapter that let's the Gemini talk to the computer, doesn't seem to work with the RoboFocus. But, I've used it before. Unless, I've busted something else inside the unit.

For now, manual operation is a start!

Last edited by Octane; 18-04-2014 at 06:47 PM. Reason: s/seen/seem/
Old 19-04-2014, 04:41 PM
acropolite (Phil)

@H, the Aten RSB-232 adapter I use has never let me down on anything I've thrown at it, I've seen it recommended by some astro equipment suppliers as well, costs around $35 from memory. It works for me as well programming PBX's where as most others don't. From memory, one thing I did was to turn off buffering as that can upset time critical operations.

Not sure if the Robofocus has temperature compensation, the Sharpsky has, plus Dave's simple control utility has logging capability you to track your focus adjustments against temp which can then be used to work out the necessary calibration data.
Old 19-04-2014, 05:01 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Thanks, Phil.

I picked up a $20 jobby from Jaycar. If it doesn't work, I'll take it back. It came with a driver disc, so, I'm assuming it has a little more potential!

And, yes, the RoboFocus has a temperature sensor for compensation, too.

H