ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Entropy

Installing Robofocus to FSQ106EDXIII

Hey guys,

Just purchased Robofocus for my FSQ and having a few problems installing it.
I have the shaft installed on to the focuser knob and I'm now trying to fit the bracket.

Do I remove the two hex screws shown in the photo below?
They seem to be either very tight or glued in, and I'm worried they might be part of the collimation or something. (However there are sets of tiny grub screws either side that seem to be collimation screws, I just dont want to stuff it up)
Should I just put a bit more force into it and not worry?
Should the bracket go somewhere else?
Or is there some technique to get these out without using brute force?

Thanks guys

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2a4f68e6.jpg
Old 25-04-2014, 07:30 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Did you buy the specific FSQ106 adapter /clamp that RF make? (I have one if you need one). I believe that ALL Tak screws with the focuser, including the tensioner/placement screws at the top are factory sealed (with what, not sure), and require a drop of acetone to loosen (and if you miss, you will dissolve the lovely Tak green paint, so be CAREFUL!) I was also of the understanding that the RF only attaches to the removed 7:1 knob shaft, NOT the entire shaft (rough focus shaft).

I will fit a Sharpsky Pro to my 106EDXIII, and Dave at Sharpsky explicitly said it MUST be attached to the shaft of the &:1, NOT the main shaft (you will NO get the step precision required otherwise). This is particularly critical if you plan using yours reduced at f/3.6, where critical focus is 40 MICRONS - the non-ratioed/rough focusing won't cut that!

Personally, I will NOT touch the Tak focuser,so designed an alternative mounting system that does not even touch the focuser body at all - it mounts to my Losmandy plate via 3mm thick aluminium bar sock. Solid as a rock. I also designed a compression ring system that attaches to the 7:1 knob WITHOUT removing it.

If you need the specific RF 106 EDXIII adapter, let me know and I part with the one I have.
Old 25-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Hans Tucker (Hans)

I think the following link will give you an idea how the RF bracket should be mounted.

http://bf-astro.com/roboFocus.htm

Although some FSQ users have installed a specially made right-angle bracket to the very screws you enquired about.

http://www.astro-land.net/?p=253

I guess it depends on what bracket you have.

Last edited by Hans Tucker; 25-04-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 26-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Entropy

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help, I have now installed the Robofocus unit, Yay .
I bought the custom Tak bracket which was designed to go to the screws in the original post.
The only issue I had was that I needed to make a spacer to go between the bracket and the telescope but this wasn't too difficult.
I spoke to Technical Innovations about whether the motor goes on the coarse or fine focuser know and they assured me that it should go on the coarse side. Perhaps the resolution of the motors has been improved? You would think that regardless of the resolution, you would see a benefit by placing it on the fine focuser control , wouldn't you?

Any way thanks again for your help
Old 26-04-2014, 12:01 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

I installed mine on the coarse side of the rack and pinion as recommended. The critical focus zone will be about 4 steps with the standard robofocus motor at the native focal length of the FSQ106.
Never had a problem getting good focus since using the SGPro autofocus routines.
Cheers,
Andrew.