Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 10-11-2020, 11:31 PM
AdamJL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Hi Adam

I use Astropixel processor.
It allows me to combine my images and also to split the channels when stacking.
The L-extreme filter only allows a narrow band of light from Hydrogen Alpha and Oxygen 3
When using APP I stack them using the channels HA then the channels O3 in the stacking setup.
Then I combine the 2 channels using RGB combine HA being red and O3 in the green and Blue channels, Tweak it, play around save it then process it in Photshop.
In the meantime the HA channel is also used as a luminance layer which brings out the finer details in photoshop.
This processing alone took 2 hours of tweaking to get right as I'm fussy.

Hi Nik

Thanks for explaining! This is very much beyond my skills currently, but it's a good ceiling to aim for.
I tried to shoot this nebula tonight in Sydney. Not very good results as I only shot 60 seconds at ISO 800. I got the core of the main nebula but it's so far below your image it's not worth it

I mean, check this out.. compare yours to mine, haha.
Oh well, this is a long term hobby, there's loads to learn. Every mistake is an opportunity to get better!

(edit: time to have a look at that filter too, btw!!)
Old 11-11-2020, 07:13 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJL View Post
Hi Nik

Thanks for explaining! This is very much beyond my skills currently, but it's a good ceiling to aim for.
I tried to shoot this nebula tonight in Sydney. Not very good results as I only shot 60 seconds at ISO 800. I got the core of the main nebula but it's so far below your image it's not worth it

I mean, check this out.. compare yours to mine, haha.
Oh well, this is a long term hobby, there's loads to learn. Every mistake is an opportunity to get better!

(edit: time to have a look at that filter too, btw!!)

Where is your image mate? I'd still like to check it out
Old 16-11-2020, 06:03 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Vondel View Post
Nice image and inspires me to investigate that new filter
Thanks MAx. You won't regret it.
Old 22-11-2020, 05:13 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

That's excellent. Really like the colors and details.
Old 22-11-2020, 07:08 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

I've finally got my L-Extreme ... and had one session with it (whilst sorting out back spacing) and the result sucks compared to this. Knowing it can do images like this keeps me going !!
Old 22-11-2020, 09:00 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
That's excellent. Really like the colors and details.

Thanks mate it's a labour of love

Quote:
Originally Posted by xa-coupe View Post
I've finally got my L-Extreme ... and had one session with it (whilst sorting out back spacing) and the result sucks compared to this. Knowing it can do images like this keeps me going !!

Keep working on the processing, the acquisition is just the beginning. It's taken me 2 years to get to this level and there is so much more work to go.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:50 AM
Robert_T
aiming for 2nd Halley's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
Hey Mike
I'm not sure if it's the filter that makes it "different" It's a first light for me and only the second time I've imaged this. I processed it by extracting Ha and 03 then combined them in APP processed them in photoshop. This is the result of the processing with APP
Nik I've been gathering a lot of data on this with the L extreme on two OSC's the asi533 and 071; it's clear to me that it's more your skilled processing than the filter in play though perhaps the filter makes it possible... any guidance or links to how Ha and O3 can be extracted... I currently just use DSS and Photoshop... but have been thinking on a more dedicated tool.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_T View Post
Nik I've been gathering a lot of data on this with the L extreme on two OSC's the asi533 and 071; it's clear to me that it's more your skilled processing than the filter in play though perhaps the filter makes it possible... any guidance or links to how Ha and O3 can be extracted... I currently just use DSS and Photoshop... but have been thinking on a more dedicated tool.

Hey Robert
I use Astropixel Processor to stack and separate the Ha and O3 channels, then recombine them using the HOO in the RGB combine in astropixel processor. Ha for red O3 for green and blue, you can then adjust the nuances of the different colours, then run a light pollution routine before saving it as a 32 bit tiff and processing on photoshop. The photoshop process takes longer with layer masks etc to bring out the final details.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lki-TfkrlQ&t for further help and there are a few others there as well.
Old 11-12-2020, 02:15 PM
tornado33

Great shot. I love that L Extreme filter, if they made a clip in version for the EOS R mirrorless cams Id get one in a heartbeat, as then Id be able to off axis guide with full spectrum starlight ahead of the filter
Old 16-12-2020, 11:09 AM
Geoff45 (Geoff)
PI rules

That is spectacular Nik!
Old 16-12-2020, 04:07 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

Really nice Nik! My l-extreme filter is sitting there languishing in a cold, unappealing box waiting for the clouds to go away...
Old 16-12-2020, 05:34 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff45 View Post
That is spectacular Nik!

Thanks Geoff it took a while to process the final image, a labour of love.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Really nice Nik! My l-extreme filter is sitting there languishing in a cold, unappealing box waiting for the clouds to go away...

I know how you feel it's been a month since I've used my scope again with the filter, got a good Orion but because of poor spacing (57mm instead of 55mm for my 0.6 reducer I had elongated outer stars consistent with too long backfocus my fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado33 View Post
Great shot. I love that L Extreme filter, if they made a clip in version for the EOS R mirrorless cams Id get one in a heartbeat, as then Id be able to off axis guide with full spectrum starlight ahead of the filter

Wonder if there was a way of adding a filter drawer in between