Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 16-05-2014, 08:44 PM
VirTel (Italia)

Lunar occultation of Saturn: amazing work from Ice In Space members

Dear All,

I wish to thank also here the IIS members who joined our live coverage of this splendid occultation.

The event was great, with excellent images and, above all, an evident love for the skies and passion in sharing your involvement.

The live feed was possible thanks to an handful of amazing observers in Australia and New Zealand: John Stevenson, Chris Stockdale, Geoffrey Wyatt, Dean Hooper, Matthew Wastell, Duncan Waldron and Mirko Harnisch. Many of them are on this forum.

Thanks to images coming from different places, I composed an image showing the parallax effects pretty well:

http://www.virtualtelescope.eu/2014/...tacular-image/

Soon, a full report will follow, meanwhile I wish to thank again the people involved, as well as Suzy Webb for supporting the "recruiting" campaign and for sharing a few images with me on-fly!

All the best to all of you
Gianluca Masi
Old 16-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Hi Gian,
You put on a fantastic event for us to enjoy, me included, as I missed ingress due to cloud. I can't praise you highly enough for the tremendous outreach work that you do, thank you so much. It was an absolute pleasure for me to help contribute some images of our members- my fingers were going at lightning speed on my lappy at the time, messages everywhere, dowloads, a zillion tabs open waaaaah 'tis amazing that I didn't get fried .

And thanks for the mention on the live stream- haha took me by surprise as I was working my digits to the bone and then running outside to make sure Russ was taking those piccies when the cloud buzzed off. Of course.... it was a beautiful clear night here in Brisbane after the event....