Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 14-05-2014, 04:35 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Just looked at the Brisbane forecast for 9:00pm tonight and it predicts intermittent rain.

Oh well, there is always the next lifetime…

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Brisbane Forecast 14 May 2014.JPG)
21.7 KB3 views
Old 14-05-2014, 04:44 PM
julianh72 (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Just looked at the Brisbane forecast for 9:00pm tonight and it predicts intermittent rain.

Oh well, there is always the next lifetime…

Cheers

Dennis
Aaaggghhhh!!! Something like 75% cloud cover at the moment as I look out my office window.

Luckily, we may not have to wait a lifetime - the next occultation of Saturn is in just a few months - 4th August 2014 at 21:19 - 22:27 in Brisbane.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articl...47.htm#eclipse
Old 14-05-2014, 06:29 PM
mozzie (Peter)

Sorry guys the moon and Saturn are looking good here..no clouds at all
Just about getting the 2 in the field of view in my binos ..have the semi apo filters in the eyepieces and it does darken the objects just nicely and there is a very slight hint of a yellow/violet color on the edge of the moon..very happy
Old 14-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Kunama

Clear sky in Canberra for a change, bit of moisture in the air but should be a great view.
Old 14-05-2014, 07:05 PM
alphamone

Got perfect skies here in Canberra. I have even tested out my telescope camera with a barlow lens and have gotten some nice image quality (and worked out how to make youtube use the telescope camera rather than the built in webcam), and should be perfectly set up for later tonight.

I will do another test once Saturn gets close enough to the moon to find it by manual scanning with the fine movement knobs (i don't have a goto scope, and dont have any ground level enough to put my telescope on for the RA; DEC measurements to be useful) to get the manual exposure settings set.

What will really be fun will be trying to time the reappearance at 10 pm, probably going to just track the point of the moon where it will reappear, start recording a few minutes before it is due to show, and just edit it in post.

Hopefully I will have a youtube link in about two hours time.

edit: got my settings set, waiting for saturn to get within the FOV of my camera to do final adjustments and start recording.

Not a very high framerate or resolution, but here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtZerdHtNEU

Last edited by alphamone; 14-05-2014 at 08:59 PM. Reason: updating status of preperations.
Old 14-05-2014, 08:43 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Cheapo webcam stream:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/test-32342412

If it shakes its because im watching from a second scope
Old 14-05-2014, 08:44 PM
Suzy
Searching for Travolta...

Waaaaaaaah ! My telescope got rained on for the very first time in 5 years. I was being wildly optimistic to view the Saturn/Moon occultation tonight so wheeled it out to cool mirror down, and Russ was super keen to take pics spending the last couple of days getting stuff prepared for it. He still thinks we got a chance with optimism that would tug at ones heart strings (I blame him for scope getting wet lol). With an hour yet to go for the event, I really don't think this is going to happen- it'd take a miracle. Boooooh Brisbane!
At least I got a very quick look at Saturn near the moon between a cloud gap, so I'll have to be happy with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1 View Post
I have written to Gianluca re contributing some images after he contacted me but stressed that I was not into AP and take photos holding the SLR to the eye piece. It's as low-tec as it gets but has yielded reasonable results in the past - at least for documentation purposes. The weather is pretty marginal here in Dunedin at the moment, so it may be a non-event for me.

Suzy, you should have no trouble imaging Saturn with your 10" dob and SLR. The dob provides so much light that exposure times should be able to be kept sufficiently short . The only other problem might be the dynamic range of the pair, so be sure to shoot RAW.

Then again, I'm really in no position to give advice since I don't even do prime focus
Hi Mirka, thank you on behalf of so many people (including me by the looks grrr!) for having a go at contributing. In my opinion, any image is a good image as it allows the people missing this event (moi, for one ) to see it. Thank you also for the tips- tho....
Old 14-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Astroman (Andrew Wall)
<><><><>

Well it cleared up nicely for the occultation
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (occult1.jpg)
14.8 KB56 views
Old 14-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Steffen
Ebotec Alpeht Sicamb

So far so good, the first half of the attraction went down under perfect conditions, even the seeing was alright. I hope it holds for the reappearance.

Cheers
Steffen.
Old 14-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I got some nice shots with my Neximage 5, although it was tough to control the brightness difference between the Moon and Saturn!

Edit: First conversion was rubbish, so redoing!
Old 14-05-2014, 09:12 PM
killswitch (Edison)

Yours looks good minus the shake.

I didnt even bother exposing for the moon till after. Mines here:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/47543821
Old 14-05-2014, 09:13 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Doing a new one now, hang on - the conversion didn't go well!
Old 14-05-2014, 09:15 PM
mozzie (Peter)

We'll that was fantastic..perfect skies good seeing...quick cup of tea then out for the finale..
Old 14-05-2014, 09:16 PM
Kunama

My son and I took turns at the eyepiece though I doubt I will see him for the 3rd contact.......
Old 14-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

Right - here is the "non-shake" version, 4 different short videos spliced (10 MB total, .MP4 compressed file), total time 45 seconds.

The last 5 seconds gets Saturn's final disappearance nicely: http://goo.gl/opKFJv

Taken with Celestron 8SE SCT at f/10 with Neximage 5, captured in iCap and converted in FVC
Old 14-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Occulta (Chris)

Recordings x 2

I recorded the D using my occultation DVR with timestamp via a Watec 120N and another to the laptop via a ASI120mm.

Both worked well so now for the R.

Chris
Old 14-05-2014, 09:25 PM
noswonky (Peter)

My raw video of the disappearance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzhLaW6Aum0
Old 14-05-2014, 10:03 PM
mozzie (Peter)

Thank goodness I finally had an event without cloud and rain!!!!
Very pleasant evening
Old 14-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Here’s my effort. Around 8:40pm we saw that the clouds were breaking up so we set up our 77mm Leica spotting ‘scope on a photo tripod and were enthralled by the view, as the Moon drew slowly closer to Saturn. When the next wave of clouds obscured the fantastic scene I sprinted upstairs and grabbed the Canon EOS-M with EF-M22mm F2 lens to try my hand at some old fashioned hand-held afocal eyepiece projection.

This was one occasion where viewing the image on the rear LCD was beneficial, not to mention the complete absence of mirror slap, as the EOS-M is a mirrorless camera.

I combined a shot exposed for Saturn with one of the better ones of the Moon and was very pleased with how the last minute project turned out. We missed the actual occultation as the clouds returned and it looked they were here to stay so we packed up.

What a night! What a sight!

Cheers

Dennis
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Canon EOS M - IMG_2090 Collage Crop 1024 Text.jpg)
95.1 KB52 views
Old 14-05-2014, 10:16 PM
alphamone

Tried to get the unblocking, unfortunately, as my camera lacks the dynamic range to get both saturn and the moon in detail at the same time, I could only aim at the vague area where it would be emerging, and unfortunately, was unable to catch it emerging.

Though it does not matter, as I still got to see it disappear behind the moon as well as doing some direct observation in the hours prior to occultation.

Next one is in three months time.