Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Celestial and Astronomical Events

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 13-04-2014, 11:41 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Dam Qld Cyclone, aint gunna see much sun or moon till weds'ish around 'ere
Old 13-04-2014, 12:06 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

In UTC the eclipse starts on 2014-04-15 at 05:57 and finishes at 09:33

US timezones:

4/14 18:57 SST - 22:33 SST
4/14 19:57 HST - 23:33 HST
4/14 20:57 HADT - 00:33 HADT
4/14 21:57 AKDT - 01:33 AKDT
4/14 22:57 MST - 02:33 MST
4/14 22:57 PDT - 02:33 PDT
4/14 23:57 MDT - 03:33 MDT
4/15 00:57 CDT - 04:33 CDT
4/15 01:57 EDT - 05:33 EDT

Canadian timezones:
4/14 22:57 PDT - 02:33 PDT
4/14 23:57 CST - 03:33 CST
4/14 23:57 MDT - 03:33 MDT
4/15 00:57 CDT - 04:33 CDT
4/15 01:57 EDT - 05:33 EDT
4/15 02:57 ADT - 06:33 ADT
4/15 03:27 NDT - 07:03 NDT
Old 13-04-2014, 01:33 PM
pfitzgerald (Paul)

Hi Folks
I'm going to try and image the eclipse at home here in Melbourne with the view of using said images to calculate the Moon's diameter with my Astronomy Club students in the new term. Melbourne being what it has been in recent weeks (months) I don't fancy my chances. So if possible could I please ask for the opportunity to use one or two images from those of you lucky enough to view the eclipse.
Kind regards.
Paul
...and TYAIA.
Old 13-04-2014, 01:35 PM
glenc (Glen)
star-hopper

It looks like it will be cloudy here on Tue at 16h.
http://www.bom.gov.au/australia/char...er/index.shtml
Old 13-04-2014, 03:06 PM
lazjen (Chris)
PI cult member

I'm preparing for it as well, but it's not looking very good for the conditions...
Old 14-04-2014, 08:19 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

The weather forecast for my location at the time of the eclipse is HEAVY RAIN.
I cannot find any decent words, so I will refrain from commenting.
Old 14-04-2014, 08:44 AM
AstralTraveller (David)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
The weather forecast for my location at the time of the eclipse is HEAVY RAIN.
I cannot find any decent words, so I will refrain from commenting.
Just in case it's relevant, there will be some hardy/optimistic/desperate astronomers down at Flagstaff Hill near the lighthouse. But you're right, the forecast is less than optimistic. In fact most of eastern NSW is a write-off. Adelaide looks good and flights aren't too too expensive. Unfortunately the salt mine calls.

At least we are being warned well in advance. It's worse when you go out expecting to see something and then it clouds at the last minute. Oh well, there will be other eclipses and they won't all be clouded out.
Old 14-04-2014, 08:49 AM
h0ughy (David)

i made the trip to qld at the last moment last time, not this time though? id love the moon to eclipe the 8 suns near me
Old 14-04-2014, 08:59 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
At least we are being warned well in advance. It's worse when you go out expecting to see something and then it clouds at the last minute. Oh well, there will be other eclipses and they won't all be clouded out.
True, but yesterday for a very short time the forecast for the time of the eclipse was nice (chance of rain only 10%) and I was hoping... oh well...
Old 14-04-2014, 09:30 AM
killswitch (Edison)

Looks like its clouded out . I had some plans in mind.

I was gonna attempt to partially frame the Opera House sails as the foreground and the eclipse as the background. It lines up in TPE http://db.tt/QEqLwu9Q

The result would have looked something like this (in my head anyway)
Old 14-04-2014, 09:33 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstralTraveller View Post
Just in case it's relevant, there will be some hardy/optimistic/desperate astronomers down at Flagstaff Hill near the lighthouse.
Thanks for letting me know. I have no idea how comfortable I will be with my dob on a trolley (yeah, I bought the trolley for the eclipse) and how far I can go (it would be the first time I really go out with it!), but thanks for letting me know. I am sure it will have to be collimated when I finally stop, but it should be fine. I have learned to collimate it pretty quick.
If it is cloudy I might still go out (in case it gets better - at least for a few minutes!), but if it is raining I think it is pointless, particularly with my dob on a trolley.
I will have everything ready though in case the rain stops.
Old 14-04-2014, 01:29 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

The most part of the Aus East Coast is now under the influencs of both the downgrading Cyclone Ita, and the Tasman Low, Grrrr.
Forecast has SE QLD under a sky with 15 - 30 % cloud cover and while this sounds promising, unfortunately when in a situation of a moon rising ON the Horizon, well, one typically needs a cloud free area of sky in that direction for several hundreds of Klm's !
Considering the bulk Remnants of Ita will be several hundred K's East of NSW/Qld Boarder and made up with low level and medium level cloud _ Im thinking the best bet would be locating as high as possible and further west on a Mountain. This way, atleast there is possible better chances of seeing some moonage as it rises ? That said, this does Not rule out a percentage of Local cloud on the coastal fringe ! !
Just my asessment as Im thinking Mnt Tambourine at this stage
Wish all the best to those going ahead as well
Old 14-04-2014, 02:51 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

For those who live in a place plagued by bad weather...
The eclipse will also be streamed online.
I live in the East, close to the beach, and will have to watch it online (most probably)... Better than nothing... Provided the place where the streaming is supposed to be will not be plagued by bad weather too...
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/total-luna...1.html#xb03WWO
Old 14-04-2014, 06:05 PM
OzEclipse (Joe Cali)

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post
The most part of the Aus East Coast is now under the influencs of both the downgrading Cyclone Ita, and the Tasman Low, Grrrr.
Forecast has SE QLD under a sky with 15 - 30 % cloud cover and while this sounds promising, unfortunately when in a situation of a moon rising ON the Horizon, well, one typically needs a cloud free area of sky in that direction for several hundreds of Klm's !
Considering the bulk Remnants of Ita will be several hundred K's East of NSW/Qld Boarder and made up with low level and medium level cloud _ Im thinking the best bet would be locating as high as possible and further west on a Mountain. This way, atleast there is possible better chances of seeing some moonage as it rises ? That said, this does Not rule out a percentage of Local cloud on the coastal fringe ! !
Just my asessment as Im thinking Mnt Tambourine at this stage
Wish all the best to those going ahead as well
Hi Bob,
I misspent my youth observing from Arthur Page's Mt Tamborine observatory on the east face of Mt Tamborine. Spent more weekends up there than I care to admit to at all times of year. Back in the 70's and early 80's, when it was clear and seeing and transparency was good-Wow! But believe me, the last place you want to go when the weather is less than ideal, is a rainforest. On that east face, moist air pushes in from the ocean, up the mountain and condenses as a cloud cap often with rain right over your head.

cheers
Joe
Old 14-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

NSW Central Coast

Weather permitting, I will be heading to Crackneck Lookout near Bateau Bay for this event.
As this was previously a popular spot for the Lunar Eclipse, I am hoping there will be plenty of others to join me there. (wishful)
Old 14-04-2014, 06:42 PM
doppler (Rick)

Look like we might be in luck in Mackay, fingers crossed. The couds have mostly cleared. Here is a reconisance snap from tonight at the Emio surf club car park, Mackay.

Cheers and clear skys Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (moon2.jpg)
170.2 KB28 views
Old 14-04-2014, 06:57 PM
swannies1983 (Dan)

Looking to be clear in Adelaide which makes up for the cloud spoiling the previous two eclipses. Just disappointing we aren't going to see much of an event.
Old 14-04-2014, 07:03 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Things are looking up, I've tracked Ita as doing approx 400ks in the last 12hrs to 8pm tonight ! means with 20 odd hrs left, should put Ita well around 1000ks from the coast, if not more
Only need local cloud to co-operate now, so expecting 50-50 chances for a ball park estimate at this point in time ,,,,
Old 14-04-2014, 07:09 PM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Some unexpected clear patches tonight. Hopefully it will be the same tomorrow...
Old 14-04-2014, 07:39 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzEclipse View Post
Hi Bob,
I misspent my youth observing from Arthur Page's Mt Tamborine observatory on the east face of Mt Tamborine. Spent more weekends up there than I care to admit to at all times of year. Back in the 70's and early 80's, when it was clear and seeing and transparency was good-Wow! But believe me, the last place you want to go when the weather is less than ideal, is a rainforest. On that east face, moist air pushes in from the ocean, up the mountain and condenses as a cloud cap often with rain right over your head.

cheers
Joe
Appreciate your imput Joe and yes, late night and early morn condensation is often the case, there is also moisture still rampent in the atmoshere particularly in the low and mid levels, hence local cloud formation, coming from the south, also, anyones guess to where some sun will be shining to thin this out a bit ? Fortunately there is no onshore flow around tomoro,which would certainly add to the frustration. apart from that, this event is only early in the evening, temps should be mild with a bit of wind chill, so, some warm clothes may be on the gender
Ill be taking further asessment with your good advise of local conditions tomoro midday'ish to determine which location in my area may be best suited

Cheers again Joe & all the best, if your going out to watch/photo