Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2020, 06:21 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

Mini Camera or Monochrome Camera for guide scope?

I'm in the throes of setting myself up for astro photography and am looking into the future and wanting to get a guide scope/camera. I have the scope now but cannot figure out why there are mini guide cameras like the ASI 120mm mini guider, as well as things like the ZWO ASI120MM-S Monochrome, which can be used as a guide camera too. There's only $69 between the two so in a hobby that isn't cheap, there's no appreciable difference.

Which brings me to my question... which one? I'm leaning towards the ZWO ASI120MM-S Monochrome as it appears to be a good general camera for planetary photography.

thanks
Old 08-07-2020, 08:48 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

The biggest difference to the mini cams IMO is that the smaller packaging can make them easier to fit in an image train. If I were using a DSLR, my 290MM mini would fit but a normal one would foul the DSLR body in most orientations.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:46 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Depends on the whole situation.
Are you using an OAG and what type. Will you be using a thread connection to connect your guider to the OAG and can you get adapters to do this at the correct focal length or can your OAG adjust focal length for the guide camera.

Focus of the guider is the biggest issue.

And then do you mind if your DSLR is upside down to clear the OAG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xa-coupe View Post
I'm in the throes of setting myself up for astro photography and am looking into the future and wanting to get a guide scope/camera. I have the scope now but cannot figure out why there are mini guide cameras like the ASI 120mm mini guider, as well as things like the ZWO ASI120MM-S Monochrome, which can be used as a guide camera too. There's only $69 between the two so in a hobby that isn't cheap, there's no appreciable difference.

Which brings me to my question... which one? I'm leaning towards the ZWO ASI120MM-S Monochrome as it appears to be a good general camera for planetary photography.

thanks
Old 08-07-2020, 02:17 PM
xa-coupe (Jeff)

Thanks guys.

I'm using a ZWO 30 F4 guide scope, so I would count it as a 'regular' setup. In the end, I don;t really care how the DSLR sits, if I don;t like the pic I can rotate it.
In the end, with the metro lockdown coming into effect tonight, I decided on the ZWO ASI120MM-S Monochrome, I'll have to live with any deficiencies should they arise.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:15 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

I have the Zwo 120 mms and it works fine. Much better than the earlier models.
If you are using a guide scope there will be no complications.,

If you switch to an OAG the advantage for me is that the MMs has an inner t thread and so will screw directly on to the guider focuser threads and remain solid in the same orientation while shortening the focus path to achieve correct focal distance.

If your DSLR has a hinged rotating screen then the orientation is not so critical .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xa-coupe View Post
Thanks guys.

I'm using a ZWO 30 F4 guide scope, so I would count it as a 'regular' setup. In the end, I don;t really care how the DSLR sits, if I don;t like the pic I can rotate it.
In the end, with the metro lockdown coming into effect tonight, I decided on the ZWO ASI120MM-S Monochrome, I'll have to live with any deficiencies should they arise.