Old 06-07-2019, 08:07 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Two Cars Same Rego!!!

My other half got a letter from one of the Adelaide councils about her daughters car being booked for illegal parking. There was no way it was her car as the expiation notice while it had the correct rego had the wrong car make and the fact that at the time it supposedly happened, the car was in our car port. (Her Daughter has been in Italy for the last month as well on holidays) Ok went to the councils web site and viewed a photo of the offending vehicle in situ and sure enough it was a different make, but bearing the same rego as her daughters car. Have not had a chance to ring the council being a weekend but rang the cops just to let them know that there was another car getting around with the same rego number. They basically said it was nothing to do with them and refer it to the motor registry. What a cock-up!!
Old 06-07-2019, 08:10 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

What is a rego

Happens all the time, surprised you don't know, people copy registration plates to avoid fines, surely you are aware of it, just write in explaining it
Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Jeremy not a shock, just not experienced this in my sphere, I know there are low-lifes all over the place. What I found was the total dis-interest of the Police, they basically could not give a toss.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:35 AM
JA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfso View Post
Jeremy not a shock, just not experienced this in my sphere, I know there are low-lifes all over the place. What I found was the total dis-interest of the Police, they basically could not give a toss.
I'm surprised that doesn't come under some sort of direct traffic offence: Displaying the wrong number plate. It is a form of fraud and if financial advantage is obtained that could also be classed as "obtaining financial advantage by deception", which is an offence under the crimes act. As an aside: It is for instance an offence in Victoria to display P plates if you are not a Probationary, but fully licensed driver.

Best
JA
Old 07-07-2019, 06:23 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

The disinterest of the Police hopefully is at the level only of the individual I expect and it would be interesting to read the reply to a letter sent to the Commisioner outlining the issue and your disappointment with that individuals responce..however if it is indeed " what can you do" policy I would be inclined to send a copy of such a reply to every politician both state and federal as well as to every shock jock and see how you can change policy overnight☺...you can always rely upon finding someone who is looking for a new axe to grind☺.

Perhaps we get the world we accept so maybe this is one of those things to pursue further...if such a car is out there you can probably find it..presumably it will remain in the general area and almost certainly reappear near where the ticket was issued or at the shopping center or the pub or chemist or any of the shops locals frequent...facebook???

It will be interesting to see how the Council responds as that may indicate that such is a rare or relatively uncommon event.
If common and they roll over attend the next Council meeting and demand change ...

There is more at stake than getting the council to back down really.

And at the meeting ask if they council have views on electric car noise☺...and if they see that as important and double plates just something that happens☺.

If you get your view promoted I can almost guarantee the Council will pass a law saying it is an offence to park with a copied plate which no doubt will fix the problem☺.
Alex
Old 07-07-2019, 07:47 AM
doppler (Rick)

Page 3, 47 d, its an an offence and there are probably more like driving an unregistered car. You probably should go to road transport and get some new plates issued to avoid any more fines ie red light cameras, petrol drive offs or even worse if that car is used for robberies or other illegal activities.

https://lawhandbook.sa.gov.au/media/...ber%202014.pdf
Old 07-07-2019, 07:56 AM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
What I found was the total dis-interest of the Police, they basically could not give a toss.
This is quote common in my experience. There seems to be a filter at the front desk:
Civil case or Criminal? Civil = "get lost".
Criminal - can it be solved? If no = "get lost"
Criminal to be solved - anybody got hurt, or someone important lost money (you're not important btw...)? If no = "get lost".

Funny, all the police I deal with a wonderful individuals. I only deal with them when they need evidence from the numerous CCTV systems I manage for friends around town. Best people you could meet, seeing as though I have what they need. In the past I've been shafted many a time, only to experience the "get lost" flowchart above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
I'm surprised that doesn't come under some sort of direct traffic offence
Best
JA
Some quick googling confirms this from various states' roads departments. They didn't state the penalty however.

Most of the time, I'd put forth that the plates are not copies, but old non-returned plates who's numbers have been recycled. It's not hard to find old plates laying about. During the Townsville floods this year, I walked past no less than 7 plates which had been torn off cars driving in deep water. My neighbour's deceased estate uncovered a dozen or so plates just hanging on the wall.

EDIT: Peter - The best thing to do would be to bring the fine, the photo report of the perp, proof of ID for your daughter (or whoever the rego is under, AND a clean photo of your daughter's car to the motor registry. Make sure pics are in colour. Prove the issue exists, and get a signed letter from them proving the case of double plates. Make sure name and contact details of the Motor registry worker are present on the letter. Don't accept any notion of "we'll handle it". They won't, and your daughter will get a court summons on her return.

Once you have this, go to council, and get the fine revoked. You face 2 challenges here: getting the motor registry + council admin worker to show an IQ in double figures (or equivalence in concern), AND getting them both to achieve this in the same week. Godspeed.

Last edited by AndyG; 07-07-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:05 PM
Exfso (Peter)

The car with the correct rego had the plates issued when it was a brand new car around 3 years ago, so whoever this clown is I suspect the plates he has were made up illegally, obviously to avoid fines etc. I cannot see how motor registry could issue these. What happens when he, and I know the owner is a male as the council photo shows a middle age male getting into the car, does about rego himself, or is he blatantly breaking the law. My other half is contacting the council tomorrow with the details to see what their take is on the matter. hopefully this is not going to turn into a crap fight..
Old 07-07-2019, 04:26 PM
billdan (Bill)

Well if the council does not come out in your favour, I'm sure Channel 7 or 9 will publicise the story.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:56 PM
Exfso (Peter)

Well, it turns out that the council stuffed up, the last letter in the rego is N and on their photo, although quite grainy looks like an N, but they have a higher res photo that shows it is actually an H. Someone there assumed it was an N without checking properly and our rego came up. Apparently they are quite apologetic and fixing up the mess.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:55 PM
The Mekon (John Briggs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukastronomer View Post
What is a rego

Happens all the time, surprised you don't know, people copy registration plates to avoid fines, surely you are aware of it, just write in explaining it
Jeremy, number plate making in Australia is strictly controlled by the government, unlike the UK where I believe you get your plates through other means. So this is a very unusual case.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:31 PM
torana68 (Roger)

Yeah, na, you can have plates made outside of the motor registry’s, not in any way legal but can be done.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:23 PM
AndyG (Andy)
No. I am a meat popsicle.

Quote:
Well, it turns out that the council stuffed up, the last letter in the rego is N and on their photo, although quite grainy looks like an N, but they have a higher res photo that shows it is actually an H. Someone there assumed it was an N without checking properly and our rego came up. Apparently they are quite apologetic and fixing up the mess.
Best outcome ever, short of not happening at all
Old 09-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Exfso (Peter)

I agree Andy, useless bloody councils....