Old 23-04-2013, 08:10 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Attaching a filter to DSLR at prime focus

I am wondering if there is a simple way to mount a filter between a DSLR and a telescope when imaging in prime focus mode.

I am not looking for a 5 or 8 position filter wheel; rather just a simple device in which I can install one filter.

Chris
Old 23-04-2013, 09:00 PM
mithrandir (Andrew)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
I am wondering if there is a simple way to mount a filter between a DSLR and a telescope when imaging in prime focus mode.

I am not looking for a 5 or 8 position filter wheel; rather just a simple device in which I can install one filter.
My Sony adapter from http://www.telescopeadapters.com/ is threaded for 2" filters. I also have a T-ring and the focuser tube it screws onto is 2" threaded too.
Old 24-04-2013, 04:41 AM
gbeal

In addition to what Andrew said, if you have a Canon EOS, they (most do) accept a clip-in filter from "Astronomik".
Gary
Old 24-04-2013, 08:45 AM
Garbz (Chris)

The filters I have used screw in to the telescope itself. I then run Telescope -> 2" filter -> 2" field corrector -> t-thread adapter -> Nikon adapter -> DSLR.

Sounds like a lot but it doesn't take up too much space.
Old 24-04-2013, 09:39 AM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

I'd advise getting the 2" filters as apposed eos clip in filters, as you may want to upgrade to a ccd at some point and the clip in style filters will be redundant.
I've just went down this path and had to rebuy all my filters.

Sandy
Old 24-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Astro_Bot

You could use a Baader T-ring/Nosepiece combo for maximum flexibility. It has a 2" filter cell within the "T-ring" housing. Actually, it's not just a T-ring as it also can do M48 thread adaptation (e.g. for a Skywatcher 0.85x focal reducer). That lets you use standard 2" filters in any situation (AFAICS). I just bought one of these, but it's still in the post.

On a related topic, Baader also make a DSLR lens adapter for 2" filters for the front of the lens - I haven't really looked in to this one, but at first glance, it looks alright, assuming you want to use regular lenses for astrophotography at some point.
Old 24-04-2013, 07:46 PM
ChrisM
Sandy Ridge Observatory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrandir View Post
My Sony adapter from http://www.telescopeadapters.com/ is threaded for 2" filters. I also have a T-ring and the focuser tube it screws onto is 2" threaded too.
Thanks Andrew - that option would be a possibility, depending on the filter configuration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
In addition to what Andrew said, if you have a Canon EOS, they (most do) accept a clip-in filter from "Astronomik".
Gary
Thanks Gary - I've got several cameras including a Canon 20D so I guess that might be an option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbz View Post
The filters I have used screw in to the telescope itself. I then run Telescope -> 2" filter -> 2" field corrector -> t-thread adapter -> Nikon adapter -> DSLR.

Sounds like a lot but it doesn't take up too much space.
Thanks Chris - I didn't realise that filters were available to mount directly to the back of a scope. I've got an adapter for the Feathertouch focuser on the back, so I'd have to check out that one further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Rabbit View Post
I'd advise getting the 2" filters as apposed eos clip in filters, as you may want to upgrade to a ccd at some point and the clip in style filters will be redundant.
I've just went down this path and had to rebuy all my filters.

Sandy
That's sound thinking Sandy - a CCD camera is on the list!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astro_Bot View Post
You could use a Baader T-ring/Nosepiece combo for maximum flexibility. It has a 2" filter cell within the "T-ring" housing. Actually, it's not just a T-ring as it also can do M48 thread adaptation (e.g. for a Skywatcher 0.85x focal reducer). That lets you use standard 2" filters in any situation (AFAICS). I just bought one of these, but it's still in the post.

On a related topic, Baader also make a DSLR lens adapter for 2" filters for the front of the lens - I haven't really looked in to this one, but at first glance, it looks alright, assuming you want to use regular lenses for astrophotography at some point.
Thanks Astro Bot - I'll look up the Baader option.
Chris