Go Back   IceInSpace > Equipment > ATM and DIY Projects

Old 09-03-2013, 10:12 PM
toc (Tim)

What type of Welder? stick? mig?

Kind of off topic What sort of Welder would you guys recommend? I was thinking of a stick welder, because it looks slightly less complicated. I thought that mig welding needs some sort of gas bottle, but Im seeing gasless models at bunnings
Old 10-03-2013, 12:05 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Hi Tim,
Ive had a stick welder for about 15yrs now, it was affordable ! Ive never looked back, It has been awesome for what I use it for, Built a dozen trailors over the yrs, also built some wharehouse Frames for stock storing and a large steel framed workshop appox 7 x 4mtrs with benches etc, Plus lots of smaller stuff !

I find the advantage with a stick welder is they are cheap per inch of weld, prob atleast half, maybe a 1/3rd of a gas welder, Mig or Tig what have you, Plus stick welders are pretty much Maintainance free.

I won't be bias tho, Stick welders do have restrictions, like types of materials, mainly usable on good ol Steel, tho you can get sticks for Cast, Stainless and some Alloys, but they dont do a great job with these, but if your just working with steel, then they a great !

Migs, gasless & Tiggs very much do a much cleaner job, as they do Not produce the Slagg that stick welders do, which you have to hammer off, its a little extra work on bigger jobs but if your welds a good, the slagg comes with just a knock or two, !

Ive seldom used a tig, mig or gasless, so I dont know the ins and outs that well, tho I do know thay sometimes have probs feeding the wire which can jam if not carefully looked after & maintained ! Gass assisted welders also need attention every use, particularly with the nozzles that deliver the gas to the weld site, they need be clean all the time as the gass's main purpose is to create an enviroment for the weld burn. if its not delivered properly, it can be messy ! In saying that, A new welder of these type, would be fine for a fair while, tho it still need maintainance from day one, Only if they are neglected then many a problem will accure ! !

Hope this helps ,,
Old 10-03-2013, 12:36 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Bob's right about stick welding being very affordable.

There's some other things about the four main welding methods, oxy is the other:

* The area heated by an oxy welder is very large, stick is large, mig's heat area is smaller, Tig's is the smallest and also gives the finest control.

* All electrial three welding forms produce huge amounts of UV radiation. You need to make sure you are covered completely, eyes, face, skin. You need a welding helmet, not goggles, for these welding forms. Oxy doesn't produce the light or UV of electrical forms of welding, so goggles are fine.

* All four welding methods also require different darkness of the welding lens, oxy the least dark, Tig the darkest. You can't safely use an oxy grade lens to do stick. Likewise, Tig requires a darker lens than stick and Mig. You can get away with a stick helmet with Mig, but not recommended.

* Gas Mig and Tig require the use of Argon gas to isolate the welding process. Gasless Mig can work, but it isn't as good as Mig using Argon.

* Oxy requires investing in acetalyne and oxygen bottles. You can do soldering and brazing with oxy-propane too, making it a little cheaper. Soldering and brazing can actually produce a strong union than welding can - not hearsay, but from seeing test pieces being loaded using all three oxy joins.

* Regardless of the type of welding you do, you do need to understand the various energy requirements of the thickness of the materials you are going to weld, otherwise you won't get the depth of weld if it is thick, or you may just blast a hole in the job if you go too hard on a thin material.

* All four types have different way of being handled too. Some you push away from you as you weld, others you pull towards you. Some require both hands to be used, one on the welder and the other holding the filler wire.

I would suggest you do a short welding course. You'll learn how each method works, how to do it safely, and what works best and where, and then you'll be able to make the best choice for yourself. I did such a course through TAFE some four years ago - best thing I could have done too. The course won't make you a qualified welder ready to get a job, but it will give the lay man the necessary understanding to not blow themselves up.

Mental.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:32 AM
2stroke (Jay)
The devil's advocate

Sticks aka arc is the best way to go if its only small jobs, those cheap mig welders are junk from many people i know and have read about who have bought them. I love mig, though the price is to rich for small jobs to justifie buying one the welds are sweet and slag free. Mig welding takes a bit to get use to because of the feed speed and juice rate, then the art of welding on top of that.

Anyhow simple answer is grab a stick if your only doing a few small jobs around the house, just get the biggest you can get if your welding heavy plate. As for tafe courses, do a short if you have the time but if not theres tons on youtube and the internet. Lol i've had my share of weld flash but its not that dangerous, just use common sense, long sleeves, jeans and a pair of boots with jeans covering as you don't want hot foot haha. Just practice with some scrap of the same material you plan to use to get the amps rights and the weld good. If i could oxy fusion, mig and arc back in yr 8 after bugger all teaching i'am sure you can at your age, its not the complicated though getting the feel and a good weld takes experience.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:51 AM
marki
Waiting for next electron

MIG is the most versatile and is the easiest to use especially on gas and is the welder I use for most jobs. They also allow you to weld thin metal which I would not attempt with a stick welder. MIG's are restricted when the metal gets thick and if you want to weld anything thicker than 1/2 inch you will be looking at big bucks and probably 3 phase. I have a Lincoln 180C which is a magic little welder that will weld from about 0.5 mm steel using 0.6 wire through to about 6mm steel on 0.9 wire on the gas. It will weld up to 12mm plate in several passes using 1.2 mm gasless flux core wire which I actually did today. In standard form it is good for most types of metals with the exception of aluminium. To weld ali you need to buy a spool gun torch with costs almost 1/2 the price of the welder itself and not all MIG,s have this option especially the cheap ones (more trouble then they are worth usually). You can use gasless wire (flux core) on a MIG so it works much like a stick welder but you get much nicer welds on gas. The problem here is if you go gasless the wire is very expensive and you have to clean up flux and splatter but you can weld thicker metal. If you go with gas the wire is cheap and the gas is expensive (refill costs + monthly rent) but there is no clean up but you are restricted to thinner metal. I normally use argosheild gas for most things and pure argon gas for stainless and ali. You really need to use both gasless and gas wire to have full versatility with a MIG.

Stick welders come into their own if you are welding heavier metals, say 3mm upwards. They are more difficult to use then a MIG as some skill is required to lay down a good weld bead. You also have the problem of removing flux and splatter from your work which gets quite tedious after a while. On the up side they are simple machines requiring very little maintenance and the welding rods are reasonably cheap.

TIG welders are also very versatile in that you can weld pretty much anything but must use pure argon gas all the time or the weld will be rubbish and you will be burning electrodes at a prodigious rate (electrodes are expensive and the thorium type have radioactive isotopes present). Like the MIG they are great for thin metal but stick is a better option for the thick stuff. I also have a Boss 200A TIG inverter which means it can also be used for stick welding so it's two machines in one. If you use it as a stick welder then no gas is required and you just need to set the amps correctly. If you use it as a TIG then better get practising as TIG welding is IMO is the most difficult to master and requires great skill to produce a decent weld. It is also very slow compared to the other types and depending on what level of machine you buy, the most complex to set up. For my MIG it is just current and wire speed, for stick it is just current, for TIG there are more buttons and knobs then the space shuttle.

A word of caution, don't buy a MIG or stick welder from Bunning's, those Ortiz or what ever they are called are rubbish and I don't know anyone who is happy with one. A good quality welder will last for years and it is best to go to a reputable store and buy one even if you get stick welder and be prepared to pay a premium price, it's worth it in the long run.

Mark
Old 10-03-2013, 09:43 AM
acropolite (Phil)

I currently own a Mig welder and have in the past owned a stick welder.

MIG wins hands down IMO, the biggest downside of the MIG is the gas bottle rental cost, which can be overcome by using the small disposble bottles available from mist welding suppliers.

Disposable Gas mix bottles are expensive for the quantity of gas being used but cheap if you're like me and only use the welder occasionally, simply rent a full sized bottle when you have a large amount of work to do and return as soon as you're finished.

As a guide, the rental cost on a large bottle is around $17 per month, highway robbery IMO, price fixing is the norm, so you won't get a cheaper deal.

Gas suppliers get away with such rates because of regulations, (set when gas supply was in monopoly hands) which prevent you from owning bottles (supposedly the need for regular testing and maintenance). Mark mentioned Argoshield, some metals are better welded with gas mixes, usually a mix of Argon and CO2 is used for mild steel.
Old 10-03-2013, 01:26 PM
toc (Tim)

Thanks for the awesome info guys - I think for the small odd jobs I might be doing (i.e welding a steel pier, fixing a gate) the Stick welder might be better for me.

I might just do a short course, but to get me started Ive found this guy was pretty informative.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChuckE2009?feature=watch
Old 10-03-2013, 02:48 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

I've had a little AC welder for years and a couple of years ago bought an inverter welder - 180A 100% duty cycle for just over $200. Seriously look at an inverter DC welder rather than AC. You get a bit more flexibility (+ve/-ve polarity) and its easier to use.

One of the contractors at work was telling me he bought a little gasless MIG for just over $300... I was kicking myself for not getting one of these till he mentioned that they are fine while your are using them all the time, but as soon as the nozzle oxidizes, the wire feed is very troublesome. So it looks like its better for the constant use a contractor may have than the hobbyist.

For those who have gas MIG/TIG setups, there is now an alternative to bottle hire. I'm told there is a supplier in Katoomba, I think, who you can buy bottles of inert gases from (i.e. you can't buy oxy or acetylene, but you can buy argon and nitrogen, etc). There may be others in your local area. For me the cost of bottle rental has kept me away from MIG, TIG and oxy... I just don't do enough of it to warrant the cost, but buying a bottle at least you know what your costs are up front. I don't know any more about it, but if its like an LPG bottle exchange, then I think it would have to be a winner.

Al.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM
acropolite (Phil)

Quote:
but as soon as the nozzle oxidizes, the wire feed is very troublesome.
I believe it's the other way round, it's the wire that oxidises (rusts) and the rust then clogs the nozzles. Some wire is copper coated to prevent rust forming. I've had the same roll in my welder for over 6 years without issues.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Ok, plenty of info there !
I might add, that any welding is an art in itself, some pick it up straight away and others can never get it ? It very wise to have someone else who can weld looking with mask as you weld so they can point pout what needs to be attended to etc, , How strong, how far from the material, how fast/slow to move, it all varies with every job ! things you'll learn as you go !

As for stick welding Peirs, Than thats some moderate thick steel, 10-12 even 15mm, maybe more ,, thick plate. I used 12mm bottom plate to 10mm gussets and an 8mm wall pipe, my 40-140amp welder was struggling to penetrate into 10mm or more, so I had to do some 'fish welds' youll learn about them in due time, but I think its pretty strong, besides, it is only a telescope peir, Not brackets holding a multi story building Lift, : ) Some smaller arc/stick welders only max out at 100ampsand will be struggling to penetrate 7-8mm.
In theory,rule of thumb, but not quoting, a 1 inch weld in 10mm steel properly done should hold a tonne of weight ! !
Once you learn welding, it sure come in handy ! cheers & all the best with it ! !
Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 PM
asimov (John)
Planet photographer

Won't bother adding a lot here but suffice to say I used to get payed poorly to weld lol..Bob's spot on & I have to laugh at the fish welds mate...You want chips with them or what!?

Go the arc welder but it's an art form in itself.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Poita (Peter)

Get a good Mig if you think you are going to do a lot of welding, but go do a course first before spending the $$$. The person who runs the course can then recommend you a reliable unit.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:48 PM
clive milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by astronobob View Post

Ive seldom used a tig, mig or gasless, so I dont know the ins and outs that well, tho I do know thay sometimes have probs feeding the wire which can jam if not carefully looked after & maintained ! Gass assisted welders also need attention every use, particularly with the nozzles that deliver the gas to the weld site, they need be clean all the time as the gass's main purpose is to create an enviroment for the weld burn. if its not delivered properly, it can be messy ! In saying that, A new welder of these type, would be fine for a fair while, tho it still need maintainance from day one, Only if they are neglected then many a problem will accure ! !

Hope this helps ,,
I think the maintenance issues (elaborated above) are somewhat over stated. You can get away with a fair bit of spatter stuck to the nozzle without any problems.(unless it is windy).... The gas comes out at 20L min after all.

The only time you will be faced with repetitive nozzle cleaning duties is if you are welding galvanised steel. If you are welding 'hot dipped steel' you really should grind away the zinc before attempting to weld it.

To basically eliminate spatter sticking to your nozzle, there are a couple of products to consider. Nozzle dip, the synthetic stuff is better than the traditional lanolin. Anti-spatter - the detergent type is much cleaner to use than the oil based stuff in the pressure cans.

To reduce clogging of the tip, feed a foam earplug on to the wire just before it goes through the drive rollers. It basically brushes the wire clean before it goes in the hand piece.

You can run aluminium wire through a normal MIG as long as you are careful. Use an eraser to keep the vee grooves in the rollers clean (regularly). Keep the hose going to the hand piece free of bends and don't weld in dip transfer mode.

Helmets: You can get a reasonable auto-darkening helmet from ebay for 70 bucks.
If you are going to be welding often, a Speedglas should be on your shopping list. The entry level model (100V) is $300. That sounds like a lot of coin, but once you use one, you will never want to go back.
Which ever helmet you choose, just make sure you can easily get replacement clears.

~c
Old 10-03-2013, 10:55 PM
tempestwizz (Brian)

My main use is for Aluminium.
I have built a couple of Dobs so far using aluminium.i tried using a cheaper MIG the first time, and a combination of under power and under-gassing did not allow ideal results. The weld stuck to the surface rather than penetrating the base material. The other issue I found with MIG is that the welding material begins to come out as soon as you pull the trigger, and you have to be ready to handle it.
The outcome has functioned quite OK I must say.

After practising with a friend's TIG, I bought my own, and have had much better results. I would call TIG the 'gentlemans' welder. It is not fast, and probably more expensive to run, but I find the results far superior. The area to be welded is heated with a plasma, then filler rod is applied as and when required. (Unlike MIG which spurts out wire whenever trigger is on)

I am self-taught, and would probably improve with some formal training, but managed the TIG quite OK with a bit of help from the Web.

My vote is for TIG
Old 11-03-2013, 12:51 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive milne View Post
I think the maintenance issues (elaborated above) are somewhat over stated. You can get away with a fair bit of spatter stuck to the nozzle without any problems.(unless it is windy).... The gas comes out at 20L min after all.

The only time you will be faced with repetitive nozzle cleaning duties is if you are welding galvanised steel. If you are welding 'hot dipped steel' you really should grind away the zinc before attempting to weld it.

To basically eliminate spatter sticking to your nozzle, there are a couple of products to consider. Nozzle dip, the synthetic stuff is better than the traditional lanolin. Anti-spatter - the detergent type is much cleaner to use than the oil based stuff in the pressure cans.

To reduce clogging of the tip, feed a foam earplug on to the wire just before it goes through the drive rollers. It basically brushes the wire clean before it goes in the hand piece.

You can run aluminium wire through a normal MIG as long as you are careful. Use an eraser to keep the vee grooves in the rollers clean (regularly). Keep the hose going to the hand piece free of bends and don't weld in dip transfer mode.

Helmets: You can get a reasonable auto-darkening helmet from ebay for 70 bucks.
If you are going to be welding often, a Speedglas should be on your shopping list. The entry level model (100V) is $300. That sounds like a lot of coin, but once you use one, you will never want to go back.
Which ever helmet you choose, just make sure you can easily get replacement clears.

~c
Lol, your a funny man Clive Thats quite a list mate, and I for one appreciate you filling in all them gaps, parden the Pun, but sometimes you end up with gaps when your welding
But yeah, thanx for backing me up

Quote Re Asimov : You want chips with them or what!?
Lol John, Are you implying my welds are full of pitts & chips mate
Old 11-03-2013, 03:29 AM
marki

Quote:

~c
You would need to change the torch liner to Teflon if you are not going to use a spool gun and that's a PITA as you have to be so careful not to run the wire if the cable is bent more than about 5 deg. I would not try with the standard liner as knowing my luck the wire would melt right back to the drive wheels.

Mark
Old 11-03-2013, 06:39 AM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acropolite View Post
I believe it's the other way round, it's the wire that oxidises (rusts) and the rust then clogs the nozzles. Some wire is copper coated to prevent rust forming. I've had the same roll in my welder for over 6 years without issues.
I thought it sounded weird too, Phil, and we discussed it. He was using copper coated wire, and tried new rolls. As new it worked fine, but after leaving it standing for a couple of weeks while he was on leave, he said it gave him trouble. He didn't say how long it took to fix it, or how many times he's experienced it.

It might just be something peculiar to his handpiece too, so not saying its a fault with all gasless MIGs - just something to keep in mind.

Al.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 PM
clive milne

A couple of points with respect to welding aluminium with a MIG.

You don't absolutely have to use a spool gun or a teflon torch liner, although they will make life easier.

You don't absolutely need a high current welder to weld heavy gauge aluminium. The welder I have at home is only 130 amps, and while it is true that most people will struggle to get a decent weld on anything greater than 3mm plate with it, it is also true that you can get decent penetration and a cosmetically perfect fillet on 1/2" plate using the same welder.

The trick to it is to break the oxide layer first, then preheat the weld site using a propane torch.

Easier still is to just use a TIG. If the dimensional stability of the piece you are welding is critical, TIG is the only game in town (for aluminium).
Old 14-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Poita (Peter)

For Aluminium, I agree wholeheartedly, a TIG makes it realtively painless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempestwizz View Post
My main use is for Aluminium.
I have built a couple of Dobs so far using aluminium.i tried using a cheaper MIG the first time, and a combination of under power and under-gassing did not allow ideal results. The weld stuck to the surface rather than penetrating the base material. The other issue I found with MIG is that the welding material begins to come out as soon as you pull the trigger, and you have to be ready to handle it.
The outcome has functioned quite OK I must say.

After practising with a friend's TIG, I bought my own, and have had much better results. I would call TIG the 'gentlemans' welder. It is not fast, and probably more expensive to run, but I find the results far superior. The area to be welded is heated with a plasma, then filler rod is applied as and when required. (Unlike MIG which spurts out wire whenever trigger is on)

I am self-taught, and would probably improve with some formal training, but managed the TIG quite OK with a bit of help from the Web.

My vote is for TIG
Old 26-03-2013, 04:14 PM
marki

Quote:
A couple of points with respect to welding aluminium with a MIG.

You don't absolutely have to use a spool gun or a teflon torch liner, although they will make life easier.
To maximise both performance and tool life it is best practice to follow the manufacturers instructions. Welding aluminium without a spool gun or at the very least a Teflon liner could result in expensive damage to the torch and the machine itself. Of course the choice is always yours just don't complain when things go pear shaped.