Old 31-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Craig_

HaRGB with OSC - filter question

Hi all,
Just wondering, if I wanted to do an HaRGB image using an OSC, would there be a practical difference between shooting the Ha channel with a dedicated Ha narrowband filter versus extracting the red channel from a stack taken using a dual-band filter (in my case the Optolong L-Enhance)?

I already own the Optolong, and my understanding is that there should be minimal if any leakage of the blue/green OIII data into the Ha channel through that filter. Ignoring potential differences in filter quality (eg an Astrodon 3nm Ha vs the 10nm pass of the Optolong) would I actually see any difference between the Ha shots if I extracted Red only from an Optolong stack vs the red channel from a dedicated Ha filter stack?

I'd like to try HaRGB (as oppose to simply shooting solely with the Optolong which I have been doing) and wondering if this can be achieved with existing equipment or if the results would be noticeably different/better with a dedicated Ha filter?

Thanks
Old 31-07-2020, 12:23 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I've been doing same with a similar filter, STC Duo. Pretty good Halpha with the filter through the red on an osc camera. Maybe not as good as some Halpha filters but why not when you already have the optolong filter
Old 31-07-2020, 01:13 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
I've been doing same with a similar filter, STC Duo. Pretty good Halpha with the filter through the red on an osc camera. Maybe not as good as some Halpha filters but why not when you already have the optolong filter
Yeah, my preference would absolutely be to try and just use what I have if I can. Was just interested to understand if using a dual-band filter to extract the Ha component would leave me with a half-baked result compared to using a dedicated Ha filter.
Old 31-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

APP allows for channel extraction and O3 extraction. then you do an rgb combine looks great
Old 31-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Craig_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
APP allows for channel extraction and O3 extraction. then you do an rgb combine looks great
Yeah I've been using that feature, albeit with mixed success. Eg I've tried doing an RGB combine of M8 into HOO with that tool, but the resulting image looks nothing like an HOO combine using actual narrowband data of the same object that I found online - like, a dramatically different palette. So far, I have not been able to get a satisfactory output in HOO using that tool with images taken with the Optolong, but quite easily can do so using sample NB data from the internet - which is what prompted this post, really.