Old 30-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Camera question

Hi all, just got a Canon 60D DSLR and am setting it up for planets. In the 640x480 Crop video mode that I plan to use, when I set it on PAL (for Australia) I can only get 50 frames per sec. But on NTSC, I can get 60 fps. Was hoping to use 60 fps, does it matter if I set it on NTSC, or can you only use PAL in Australia? Think it should be OK? Cheers.
Old 09-05-2020, 05:24 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Hi Nick,
I remember the same query back 15-20yrs ago with my 1st 400D.
I believe the Pal system was used to suit Aus for when you actually plugged the camera 'something cable' straight into the TV socket. This was a cool idea back in the day as what ever you showed on the Cameras Screen would show up on the TV monitor. photos, videos, home screen etc. And in truth, I never tried with the NTSC option, tho I think there were reports that it still worked with NTSC but not as 'Compliantly"

That Said, I believe that for Planetary crop video in both Pal 50fps & NTSC 60fps can work because the file is being used with Planetary stacking software and not a tv as such.

I'm not sure of current video files from recent Dslr's and whether one can simply import the whole Vid File into software, Last times I did was with Zwo Planet Cams, ,

Some-one else will hopefully 'chime in' and know if ok or not from experience.

The way we used to do it was 'Extract' every frame out of the Vid with the Canon software pack, then import all the frames into RegiStax or AutoStakkert

Either way, I doubt any trying would harm anything, , try a small short NTSC vid, just a few seconds of a wall, tree or anything, upload it and then see if your planetary software excepts the file - if it does, then I'd say "your good to go "

Hope this was useful ..
Old 09-05-2020, 05:40 PM
raymo

You can shoot at 60fps, but you won't be able to show it on a TV in Oz.
I shoot at 60 when sending the video to my relative in the U.S.
raymo
Old 10-05-2020, 07:38 PM
Quopaz (Nick)

Thanks guys, sounds like it's a TV thing. I have now tried it on NTSC for planets and it worked. I have no real need to put it on TV anyway. Bob I import the whole vid file into PIPP, haven't had to extract every frame out of the vid.