Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21-01-2021, 08:37 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Looks like a clear patch tonight if it eventuates. Clear now.

Looked like a perfect clear might in the images. Cool is good.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:16 AM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Bit of diverging forecasts for tonight with cloud coverage depending on where you look but the seeing is supposed to be fantastic. So if it clears a pretty good night indeed. Chances of rain are very minimal in the evening and overnight, air pressure is high and stable, so might be worth a setup. Moon up at 23:35. NB south imaging is a possibility. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:00 AM
Karlz (Karl)

Up here at the Lake is looking good tonight, getting the rig out after a little hiatus
Old 03-02-2021, 01:35 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlz View Post
Up here at the Lake is looking good tonight, getting the rig out after a little hiatus
Bit of high level haze here. Although the temp never went over 25c yet so it''s a cool day. Here's hoping it clears as the sun goes down.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:04 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Well I didn't setup and it is cloudy here. That low south of us is spewing a lot of clouds. Whoever has clear skies must have a terrific night on the coast. The jetstream is at an all time low.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:08 PM
Karlz (Karl)

Seeing conditions were great, a little cloud but it moved on quick. I had some issues with PHD2 and a lack of a good view around, if it's not tree it's a building lol. There is always next time Marc
Old 03-02-2021, 11:14 PM
glend (Glen)

It is very clear up my way, no cloud, no high haze, very stable sky. But I didn't bother tonight. The forecast for the next couple of days, and nights, seems to be clear. I will wait for the Moon to be less of a nuisance.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:16 PM
Karlz (Karl)

I think you're some what close to me Glen.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:24 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Was clear for about an hour at 9.30 and then the clouds rolled in. Good thing I was simply trying some settings on a reduced rig.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:18 PM
Startrek (Martin)

Absolutely beautiful night in Sydney tonight after that massive low pushed across during the day
Transparency good
Seeing very good
No wind
No dew
No mozzies
No moon
Imaging Carina at the moment
Hasn’t been a night like this since December last year
Anyone out tonight ??
Old 06-02-2021, 11:27 PM
glend (Glen)

Nah, to damp here. It was raining most of the day, really only cleared a few hours ago, did not even consider tonight as an option. Humidity is 89%.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:50 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

I'm out and trying to image skull and crossbones, and sourly missing a guide cam (on backorder), so wasted about an hour trying to work out how to improve my polar alignment via star trails, sadly only down to about 2 seconds subs without trails on 750mm

Oh mystical grey beards, how the heck do you quickly get polar without a synscan mount or a guide cam,
Old 07-02-2021, 01:52 AM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerouter View Post
I'm out and trying to image skull and crossbones, and sourly missing a guide cam (on backorder), so wasted about an hour trying to work out how to improve my polar alignment via star trails, sadly only down to about 2 seconds subs without trails on 750mm

Oh mystical grey beards, how the heck do you quickly get polar without a synscan mount or a guide cam,
Sharpcap polar alignment will work with your imaging camera. Just download it. This is quick.

Or learn to drift align, plenty of examples on how to do it on The Net.

Then there is DARV,

https://www.cloudynights.com/article...ert-vice-r2760
Old 07-02-2021, 07:55 AM
Sunfish (Ray)

Yep . I am with Glenn. Drift Align. The skull is pretty faint but comes up more clearly in mono Ha.

Did look very nice out there at 10.30 but by that time it was too late for me.
Old 07-02-2021, 01:39 PM
Rerouter (Ryan)

Will give it a try on the next clear night, as for today I worked out when solar noon would be and found my actual north / south direction line, placed the south leg on the line and measured out the distance between the tripod legs to be equal length to a point on that line, Now have marks set out for the next night.

Turns out I was like 18 degrees off, and that my trust in phone magnetometers has drastically fallen, I should have caught on earlier that rotating the phone 180 degrees offset the reading by about that much.

Based on how I did it, I should now be within 10 arc minutes for north / south, which should make things much easier, and leave drift analysis for a trim,
Old 07-02-2021, 03:00 PM
AdamJL

I was out last night at my parents house, B4/5 or so.

I went to test my new guiding setup (50ED + ASI290MM), and boy it went well!!

Never tried guiding before, and started the night at 1.4-1.8 arc seconds and dropped down to 0.8-0.9 within an hour. Really pleased with that for a first time effort! It helps that the seeing really cleared up. I wasn't even properly in focus on the guide scope and main camera for the tests

A few more months of practising before it'll be time to upgrade the main camera and start shooting seriously.
Old 07-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Sunfish (Ray)

Phone compass systems do not work.
An iPad is slightly better but still not accurate enough.

Only a 3 satellite GPS system will get you close enough to find octans in the viewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerouter View Post
Will give it a try on the next clear night, as for today I worked out when solar noon would be and found my actual north / south direction line, placed the south leg on the line and measured out the distance between the tripod legs to be equal length to a point on that line, Now have marks set out for the next night.

Turns out I was like 18 degrees off, and that my trust in phone magnetometers has drastically fallen, I should have caught on earlier that rotating the phone 180 degrees offset the reading by about that much.

Based on how I did it, I should now be within 10 arc minutes for north / south, which should make things much easier, and leave drift analysis for a trim,
Old 08-02-2021, 05:40 PM
rkshar (RK)

Looks good tonight! Or I could be wrong.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:39 AM
RugbyRene (Rene)

Does anyone have a long range forecast that can tell us when the weather in Sydney will improve. It's been weeks of clouds with no end in sight.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:54 AM
Startrek (Martin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyRene View Post
Does anyone have a long range forecast that can tell us when the weather in Sydney will improve. It's been weeks of clouds with no end in sight.
We are currently experiencing a La Niña which generally means a long wet summer
As long as those big low pressure fronts keep developing near the bight every week and push across Victoria and up the NSW coast we will have limited clear nights ahead ie: predominant S to SE winds carry a stack of low level moisture
Once we see some consistent dominant high pressure off the coast ie prevailing NE winds to NW winds , then we may get some more frequent clear nights
The long range forecasters are saying this current trend which has been with us since November, won’t change until April
Hang in there , it’s not like this every year or season and the Universe is not going anywhere in a hurry
Astronomy requires a lot of patience , you jut have to try and suppress your frustration ( some how ) and divert your enthusiasm and energy to something else in the meantime
Hang in there , a clear night will pop up sooner than you think