Old 10-07-2020, 08:48 AM
SB (Chris)

ASiAir V2 Wifi Range

Hi Folks
Has anyone experienced wifi range problems on the new Asiair?

I’ve just received an Asiair upgrade and given it a bit of a run. The Wifi range appears to be really poor at both frequencies. At some positions near the mount my ipad looses signal (only 1M from the device). Away from the mount signal is lost at 6 metres. Asiair v1 had a longer range and had a plastic case. It would appear that the metal case in Asiair v2 acts as a Faraday cage preventing wifi propagation and the slot openings of the case prevent uniform wifi coverage.

Has anyone encountered this problem and implemented any workarounds (eg range extenders, wireless routers using the ethernet port).
Thanks

Chris
Old 10-07-2020, 02:01 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

It is well known that the new version's wifi range is very poor due to the housing. The workaround is to either use a range extender or as I do with my version 1 run an ethernet cable to the air and then the other side to your router. In my case I have an extender in the garage which I connect the Ethernet cable to, this then allow me to set everything up and image from inside the house using the home wifi. There are 2 great dedicated aisiar user groups on facebook otherwise there are many youtube videos that can help. TJconnoly comes to mind.
Old 11-07-2020, 09:37 AM
SB (Chris)

Hi Nik,
Thanks for your information. I have connected the Asiair to an access point using an Ethernet cable and all works perfectly with much increased wireless coverage.

Thanks

Chris.