ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Terrestrial Photography
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25-11-2013, 12:20 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Super Storm Shelf Thurs 14th Nov Goldcoast

Hi Astro-liano's

Most peeps in NENSW & SEQLD would remember this day well.
I had some failing storm chases the previous week or so, mainly due to the Northerly dry slot riding southward across the face of the trough & up untill this day, I had covered some 1500ks, hurts my pocket somewhat, tho by Thurs the trough neared the coast & was being directly influenced by the very saturated easterly onshore inflow, upper level steering winds were also very favourable, so I finally got lucky with picking a spot for this Thursday the 14th.
The storm day proved well to build into a huge long Wall/Shelf/Guster from Byron Bay to near the Sunny Coast, approx 200ks distance, give-take 20-30.
I chose to await the potential Stormage from the well known Tweed Heads Point Danger Lookout. About an hour beforehand I wait in wonder, it's not going to happen, hence 'patience is a virtue' & only 25k from home !

1st Pic) 9 panel pano. What this line turned into once it engaged with the coast. View is to the South over Kingscliff.

2nd Pic) 7 panel pano. The massive Guster wall to the North, in the strong sunlit yellow lower right of center, is Surfers Paradise !
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (XIIS010001.jpg)
73.0 KB130 views
Click for full-size image (XIIS030001.jpg)
62.5 KB138 views
Old 25-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Dennis
Dazzled by the Cosmos.

Amazing scenes Bob – I’m just so glad that I wasn’t under that lot. Nice work on the pano’s by the way.

Cheers

Dennis
Old 25-11-2013, 07:58 AM
h0ughy (David)

fantastic shots - they must have hit really hard afterwards
Old 25-11-2013, 08:06 AM
AstroJason (Jason)

Wow Bob, some great shots there. Very green cloud! Must of looked really impressive seeing that coming in. Not so great to be caught in it.
Old 25-11-2013, 09:06 AM
RickS (Rick)
PI cult recruiter

Very cool pictures, Bob!
Old 25-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Derek Klepp

That second one is a cracker.Itwas agreat arvo for snaps
Old 25-11-2013, 03:14 PM
leon

Wow that is impressive, beautiful images.

Leon
Old 25-11-2013, 04:07 PM
RB (Andrew)

Wow is right !
Excellent captures Bob.

Old 25-11-2013, 04:26 PM
sheeny (Al)
Spam Hunter

Impressive and well captured, Bob! Not far from getting proper willy-willies out of that.

Al.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:00 PM
tilbrook@rbe.ne (Justin Tilbrook)
JHT

Awesome Bob!

A long way to get to your backyard huh.

Cheers,

Justin.
Old 25-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

Fantastic, Bob!

I was on the Sunshine Coast on Saturday/Sunday and witnessed the awesome lightning behind the Glasshouse Mountains from Mary Cairncross. I didn't have my tripod with me, but, an obliging fencepost did the job of supporting the 5D Mark III and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. Got some reasonable images!

Then, got totally pounded at the airport (MCY) last night. Sat on the tarmac for an hour waiting for the cell to pass as it was directly in the take-off path.

H
Old 25-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Excellent photos Bob. Loving the composition and drama. Nature certainly paid u back for your efforts in these.
Trevor
Old 25-11-2013, 11:06 PM
gregbradley

Sensational images. I had to look twice at those because they are so wild at first I thought it may have been a made up image. Nicely done and worth the wait and effort.

Greg.
Old 25-11-2013, 11:21 PM
RobF (Rob)
Mostly harmless...

I just love the first one Bob!
Heck, if I'd been there I reckon I'd have been eyeing that concrete bunker dunny (the one built like a bomb shelter) across the road as an escape route as it closed in!
Old 25-11-2013, 11:39 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Great Photos Bob, Captured with the 600D I presume ?
We have been getting some real interesting weather up here too with the now Ex TC Alessia. More to come though I think with the low set to enter the GOC where it could reform into a TC. I spend a bit of time on the North Aus Chasers site at this time of the year !
Old 26-11-2013, 12:23 AM
ourkind (Carlos)
There is no substitute

Wow now that's something!
Old 26-11-2013, 07:01 AM
cybereye (Mario)
Mozzies love me!

Amazing images Bob - I was scared just looking at them let alone being there!!

Cheers,
Mario
Old 26-11-2013, 11:47 AM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Amazing scenes Bob – I’m just so glad that I wasn’t under that lot. Nice work on the pano’s by the way.

Cheers

Dennis
Thanx Dennis, was an amiazing experience to see, and run 100mtrs back to car cover after it hit mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0ughy View Post
fantastic shots - they must have hit really hard afterwards
Cheers David, calm one minute Then Whooosh, wind and sidways rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroJason View Post
Wow Bob, some great shots there. Very green cloud! Must of looked really impressive seeing that coming in. Not so great to be caught in it.
Appreciated Jason, Quite a sight for sure, good the camera pack is weather proof, not me tho, but interestly a great feeling when back in car, 'wet' and thinking, coool, got the most out of thaat sucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickS View Post
Very cool pictures, Bob!
Cheers again Rick'o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Klepp View Post
That second one is a cracker.Itwas agreat arvo for snaps
Thanx Derek, The 600D might have nearly paid for itself now, pretty happy with these 'snaps'

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Wow that is impressive, beautiful images.

Leon
Cheers Leon, a very impressive Storm Front indeed. I have only seen one other near this massive before, back in prob near 2008'ish, but not from an advantages lookout, very spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB View Post
Wow is right !
Excellent captures Bob.

Thanx Andrew, Gobsmacking sight, speshly having a little understanding on how these fronts actually become organised in this form etc, very cool to witness live, eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeny View Post
Impressive and well captured, Bob! Not far from getting proper willy-willies out of that.

Al.
Thanx Al, Willy Willies, was too amaized after to think of looking for some once passed and over the ocean, may have well been a water spout or two ! There has been a few reports of various twisties recently
Cheers . .
Old 26-11-2013, 01:38 PM
astronobob (Bob)
Casual Cosmos Capturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilbrook@rbe.ne View Post
Awesome Bob!

A long way to get to your backyard huh.

Cheers,

Justin.
Appreciate your comment Justin, truely awesome without doubt. I had covered quite a few K's the previous week but this view was only 25K's away, 20mins drive back with big grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane View Post
Fantastic, Bob!

I was on the Sunshine Coast on Saturday/Sunday and witnessed the awesome lightning behind the Glasshouse Mountains from Mary Cairncross. I didn't have my tripod with me, but, an obliging fencepost did the job of supporting the 5D Mark III and the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM. Got some reasonable images!

Then, got totally pounded at the airport (MCY) last night. Sat on the tarmac for an hour waiting for the cell to pass as it was directly in the take-off path.

H
Cheers H. The Glass house mounts would be a magic scene for storms etc, speshly with the 5D III and a fence post Good stuff I have a mountain viewing location up on, yep, Mountain View Rd near Maleny for just this type of situation, eg, a Southerly Buster or an incoming SW'erly over the Glasshouse Mounts, havent known of a storm 3hrs beforehand to get there in time yet
Sounds like fun getting smashed at the Airport, not ! Great to hear you catching some wild weather photos, Good fun hey. cheers again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Excellent photos Bob. Loving the composition and drama. Nature certainly paid u back for your efforts in these.
Trevor
Hey thanx Trevor, It not easy obtaining interesting weather photos with such drama as I was a little skeptical in going out again that day, but persistance has paid off this time I reackon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Sensational images. I had to look twice at those because they are so wild at first I thought it may have been a made up image. Nicely done and worth the wait and effort.

Greg.
Hey Thanx Greg Stoked with the capturing side of things, Grad Filter worked a treat & have them in Raw file aswell, looking forward to processing them, print & possably sell one day, yep, selling a photo will be a 1st for this duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
I just love the first one Bob!
Heck, if I'd been there I reckon I'd have been eyeing that concrete bunker dunny (the one built like a bomb shelter) across the road as an escape route as it closed in!
Glad you Dig it Rob. yeah, I'm amaized at the 1st also, quite a sight eh Didnt think of a Bunker mate, I just kept photog'ing, watching in Awe, kept photog'ing, then all of a sudden, heavy hard rain, wild wind & some loud thunder, and I'm like, OOH Not this Sh*t again, wheres that dam car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
Great Photos Bob, Captured with the 600D I presume ?
We have been getting some real interesting weather up here too with the now Ex TC Alessia. More to come though I think with the low set to enter the GOC where it could reform into a TC. I spend a bit of time on the North Aus Chasers site at this time of the year !
Cheers Ian, and yep, the 600D I have been breifly squizzing your Hectic weather situation up there, not sure what Ex Alessia is doing in coming days, might reform in the lower bight, tho they have mentioned that the reform may actually be another new system as Ex Alessia has deteriorated to pretty much extinction, not sure what classifies 'extincted' as in technical terms tho ?
Thought Id drop a Link to you of the Global Hazards Web Page, they have a good map of where tropical nasties have been and what can be there predicted intensities, paths etc. You may already have it ? Takes a few moments to load and this page will set-up in the Philippines Area, wait for it to load with temperature coloured moisture/cloud layer, click on the map and drag or scroll mouse to zoom out etc, If there are any cyclones about, they will be clearly marked with tracks etc

http://atlas.pdc.org/atlas/?id=5100

All the best..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourkind View Post
Wow now that's something!
Cheers Carlos, kinda makes up for the near Non existing Storm seasons here the last few years mate, was worrying me, this Global warming caper, looks to be true in some regards, as in, the weather is not doing much, then it is all Totally EXTREEM for 10 days, Finally great to get a break actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybereye View Post
Amazing images Bob - I was scared just looking at them let alone being there!!

Cheers,
Mario
Thanx Mario, good I didnt post the full screen size then Whoo back ! !
Old 26-11-2013, 03:55 PM
Octane (Humayun)
IIS Member #671

I'm back this Friday until Sunday and storms are forecast for both Friday and Saturday.

H