ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Equipment Discussions
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15-01-2014, 12:43 PM
T-Dogg (Ted)

What to buy???????

Hello all,

I'm new to the world of astronomy but have always had a keen interest of the sky.

I want to purchase my first telescope, go-to mount, guide and eventually a camera, however, with so many options it has bcome overwhelming.

Could I please get some advice what package I should get for a budget of around $2000.

I would like to be able to view distant galaxies, track comets, view the sun and eventually commence taking photos.

Many thanks
Old 15-01-2014, 01:35 PM
Marios (Marios)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dogg View Post
Hello all,

I'm new to the world of astronomy but have always had a keen interest of the sky.

I want to purchase my first telescope, go-to mount, guide and eventually a camera, however, with so many options it has bcome overwhelming.

Could I please get some advice what package I should get for a budget of around $2000.

I would like to be able to view distant galaxies, track comets, view the sun and eventually commence taking photos.

Many thanks

Thats a big question... Id say join a local astronomy club and get a feel for what people are using. My personal opinion would be this package in your price range. Good for both visual use and astrophotography with the steady NEQ6 mount. In time you can always trade up to a more expensive refractor, remember the mount is the heart of your setup.

http://www.andrewscom.com.au/site-section-10.htm

Guan Sheng GS-630 SDX
8" f/5 imaging Newtonian on Skywatcher EQ6PRO "Go-To" equatorial mount with tripod

***Super low price!***

$1899 AUD
In stock!
Why pay A$2199 elsewhere?

Absolutely outstanding quality and value 200mm x 1,000mm parabolic mirror Newtonian reflector on the
EQ6PRO super h/duty equatorial mount with adjustable tubular stainless steel tripod legs.
Photo shows a mount
Crayford style microfocuser with 10:1 fine focusing!

Last edited by Marios; 15-01-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Old 15-01-2014, 02:07 PM
gaa_ian (Ian)
1300 THESKY

Hi Ted
Welcome to IIS :-)
I am not really into imaging (not even after 10 years in the hobby), however this page I have set up for getting a first telescope may be of assistance.
That said I have done some lunar and planetary image with afocal photography using Alt/Az mounts. Beyond that the advice of Marios is correct, in that you need an EQ mount (and a good one !)
Cheers
Ian
Old 15-01-2014, 02:51 PM
ClearSkiesTV (David)

Hi Ted,

imaging can be an expensive and frustrating path to take in astronomy. It is best sometimes to keep things as simple as possible, and image within the limits of your ability, using more imagination than expensive equipment.

Just remember, somebody will always have better gear than you, and once you've imaged M42 for yourself once, there's really no point in doing it again.

I enjoy looking at other people's creative images rather than the same old things re-hashed over and over again.

My main astrophotography rig is a standard tripod, digital SLR and cable release. I use that about 90% of the time.

Regards
David
Follow on Twitter @clearskiestv
Old 16-01-2014, 12:29 PM
eeyore (David)

Just rekindled my interest in astronomy, my past stint was a out 10 years ago. You got a healthy budget, I'd suggest an EQ mount with Goto, and a relatively small scope, 6" or smaller for Mak or Newt, or a 4" or smaller refractor. With that budget, I'd also suggest quality over aperture and size, especially. Given you have an interest in astro photo. Actual suggestions, SW ED80 with EQ5, 127/150 Mak on EQ5. Hope it helps. I started with a WO Megrez 80SD and a EQ5 mount (not goto, but motorised).
Old 16-01-2014, 01:16 PM
T-Dogg (Ted)

Thank you all for your replies, it has been very informative and giving me a basis and aim what to look for now.

Can someone please inform me whether there is much interest in solar viewing? I've seen solar telescopes, can you actually view sun spots, solar flares and take photos of them?

Sorry for the silly question.
Old 16-01-2014, 01:32 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Dogg View Post
Thank you all for your replies, it has been very informative and giving me a basis and aim what to look for now.

Can someone please inform me whether there is much interest in solar viewing? I've seen solar telescopes, can you actually view sun spots, solar flares and take photos of them?

Sorry for the silly question.
Hi Ted,

Lots of people have solar telescopes for viewing and photographing. they can be quite expensive however, so you might need to decide if you solely want to do solar (for now) or buy a 'normal' telescope and buy or make a solar filter for it.

Cheers,

Rusty
Old 16-01-2014, 11:40 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

You can buy dedicated solar scopes. I use a Coronado Solar Max 60 which is very nice. This is a dedicated Ha scope so the images are composed soley of light emitted by ionised hydrogen, this enable it to show flares and prominences as well as the surface granulation on the sun. It also is great for sunspots. I have used it for imaging using a DMK Mono camera. However it cannot be used for anything but solar.
An ordinary scope can be used with appropriate accessories for solar work. A full aperture solar filter will enable white light observing or imaging to be done. You can observe sunspots with this sort of setup. It is possible to get filters etc to modify a refractor for Ha use also but that is a more expensive proposition, it does have the advantage that you can still use the refractor for ordinary night time use.
Be aware that solar work is potentially dangerous, using a scope on the sun without proper filtering can (and by "can" I mean "will"!) destroy your eyesight. Also you can sometimes come across things called eyepiece solar filters. If you ever come across one of these DO NOT USE IT! and preferably destroy it with a sledgehammer.
If you are genuinely interested in solar observing, attending a multiday star party is often a good way to start as if the sun shine the solar scopes usually come out, even at little ol' Snake Valley we often have half a dozen or more scope of various types and sizes.

Malcolm
Old 15-02-2014, 07:55 PM
T-Dogg (Ted)

Thanks all for your help and assistance, after careful research and looking at what I want to achieve I obtained the following:

- Guan Sheng RC-6" f/9 astrograph w/M-CRF focuser;
- Lunt
LS35THaDX 35mm Ha; and
- Skywatch NEQ6PRO mount.

And I'm loving the experience.
Old 16-02-2014, 07:49 AM
OzStarGazer
Nerd from Outer Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Also you can sometimes come across things called eyepiece solar filters. If you ever come across one of these DO NOT USE IT! and preferably destroy it with a sledgehammer.
Malcolm
Do you mean something like this?
http://www.ozhut.com.au/skywatcher-1...elescopes.html

It is not really an "eyepiece" solar filter though, as you place it in front of your scope. Are there also really small ones you use like other filters? I wouldn't trust them either.
I was thinking of buying one one day, but not before I have everything I need for night viewing.
The only problem is that all the other accessories can also be used with a bigger scope (and I will buy one one day), but this obviously cannot.
Old 16-02-2014, 09:55 AM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzStarGazer View Post
Do you mean something like this?
http://www.ozhut.com.au/skywatcher-1...elescopes.html

It is not really an "eyepiece" solar filter though, as you place it in front of your scope. Are there also really small ones you use like other filters? I wouldn't trust them either.
I was thinking of buying one one day, but not before I have everything I need for night viewing.
The only problem is that all the other accessories can also be used with a bigger scope (and I will buy one one day), but this obviously cannot.
Oz
That is a full aperture filter and is perfectly OK (as long as it has no holes in it!) The eyepiece filters are ones that screw into the eyepiece similar to normal filters. These are very dangerous. They were designed to be used with a mask that only left a small hole for sunlight to enter the scope but if you left that off the amount of light and heat would be enough to shatter the filter and the eyepiece resulting in a burnt retina and shards of glass entering the eye.

One other point of confusion for beginners contemplating solar observing is that solar scopes are sometimes described as Ha scopes. It is possible to buy a Ha filter for night time use but these cannot and must not be used for solar use for exactly the same reasons as an eyepiece filter.

Malcolm

Last edited by barx1963; 16-02-2014 at 11:06 AM.
Old 16-02-2014, 10:41 AM
Logieberra (Logan)

Get a NEQ6 Pro from Bintel or Andrews Communications. In your price range, it's a superb foundation.