Old 02-02-2011, 02:40 PM
coldlegs (Stephen)
Chopped its rear end off!

Toucam bias frames question

During a normal nights attempt at astrophotography I take some dark frames and then tilt the scope over until it points at the granny flats plain blind and set the gain to give me about one third of maximum illumination for the lights but I've never taken “BIAS” frames. Is there any use in doing them for a toucam long exposure camera? The threads I've read talk about taking the frames as fast as possible but k3ccdtools has a lower limit of 0.5sec and I'm not sure about wxastrocapture. It may have a lower limit of 0.1sec but I need to check that.
Regards
Stephen
Old 02-02-2011, 04:43 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

No dont worry about them Stephen. They are part of the darks anyway so when you subtract your darks then its removed at the same time. If you want to remove it from your flats then take longer flats that then require dark frames. Then you remove both at the same time. Not a bad idea to darks for flats anyway for a ToUcam, they are pretty noisy.

BTW I don't know if its the same with a ToUcam but from memory the optimum time for flats is between 2 and 10 sec. Not many follow this though and usually adjust the camera to the light source and not vica versa.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:35 PM
coldlegs (Stephen)
Chopped its rear end off!

I'm one of the guilty parties who adjust the camera to the light. I'll have to think about a light box or something.
Thanks Paul
Regards
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by [1ponders] View Post
No dont worry about them Stephen. They are part of the darks anyway so when you subtract your darks then its removed at the same time. If you want to remove it from your flats then take longer flats that then require dark frames. Then you remove both at the same time. Not a bad idea to darks for flats anyway for a ToUcam, they are pretty noisy.

BTW I don't know if its the same with a ToUcam but from memory the optimum time for flats is between 2 and 10 sec. Not many follow this though and usually adjust the camera to the light source and not vica versa.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:16 PM
[1ponders] (Paul)
Retired, damn no pension

Me too