Old 23-12-2012, 10:09 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Solar mosaic

What is the software of choice for combining solar Ha images?

Previously I used the mosaic tool in Maxim to combine my images. However, after using Autostakkert to stack avi files and applying wavelets in Registax, the panels can't be combined in Maxim. If I prepare a new image in Maxim and open my images, the Mosaic tool is greyed out - which I assume means the processed images and blank file are incompatible.

Has anyone seen this before?

Assuming I can't resave the files in a suitable format, what programs do you use to combine mosaics? I've been - slowly - learning PI but can't work out how to use it for this?

Pete
Old 24-12-2012, 07:55 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)
PI popular people's front

Hi Peter,
Photoshop CS3 and up have a very good automatic layer merge function that I use for solar and lunar mosaics. I've never figured out how to do mosaics in pixinsight when there are no stars for it to register the panels. But I bet it can!
Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 24-12-2012, 09:36 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks Andrew

I used PS a few years back - seems like decades. I'll give it a go ove rthe next few days

Pete
Old 25-12-2012, 04:07 PM
gbeal

I'd hoped some smarter cookies had replied, but in their absence I'll toss my meager ideas in.
I use Photoshop, simple cut and paste, and then "blend" if (always) required. I did try the inbuilt stitching routine, to no avail. Manually aligning and then blending is how I do it.
Gary
Old 25-12-2012, 04:55 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Geez - I guess it must be worth repeating the only advice us dumb bunnies had offered then
Old 25-12-2012, 06:34 PM
pvelez (Pete)

Thanks lads

I've been playing with PS all afternoon - its been pretty wet in Sydney today and the family festivities have all been held.

I expect that there are PI ways of doing it but I found PS pretty good with this. There are a few tutorials about too that have been helpful.

This is what I have so far - from yesterday morning.

Thanks for the tips

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Sun_24_12_2012_with_proms.jpg)
199.7 KB39 views
Old 26-12-2012, 09:37 AM
clive milne

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeal View Post
I'd hoped some smarter cookies had replied, but in their absence I'll toss my meager ideas in.
if you knew him, I'd wager a weeks pay that you wouldn't say that to Andrew in person.
Old 27-12-2012, 02:40 PM
gbeal

Ha, I can see my comment has been taken in the context it wasn't meant, and for that I am eternally sorry, irrespective of what Andrew looks like. Anyone that knows me will attest that slanging someone off isn't where I'm at. I'll refrain from being a little social with my comments from now on.
Apologies Andrew.
Gary
Old 27-12-2012, 04:28 PM
alocky (Andrew lockwood)

Not sure what other context than a post on a newsgroup there is, but I shall turn my wrath aside after your moving and sincere apology and spare you.
I think Clive saw me throw an idiot out of a pub once - but honestly I don't look scary at all.
On the topic of the original post, I spent some time fiddling with the pixinsight registration tool. It's easy enough to register one image to another, and then add them using the pixel math tool to adjust the contrast and gain, but the process is extremely cumbersome compared to PS. All you have to do in PS is get them close using the opacity slider on the top layer, then Edit - auto blend layers , then merge layers.
I can't see any seams in Pete's image, so I think you've pretty much figured it out - other than ensuring the exposure and processing are identical for each frame, so you avoid the funny edges. All the sharpening and stretching should be done after you've completed the mosaic.
Cheers, Andrew

Last edited by alocky; 27-12-2012 at 06:22 PM.
Old 28-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Paul Haese

I use PS CS6 but CS3 up has the auto blend function. Make all the panels into layers on a base image and then highlight all the layers by using control alt then go edit autoblend layers. To get around differing panel tones use levels before blending to make eac panel similar in tone.