Go Back   IceInSpace > Beginners Start Here > Beginners Astrophotography

Old 05-04-2012, 09:22 PM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

Finally DSS and Pentax K5 raw result

Been struggling with DSS and my Pentax K5 raw for some time now but finally have it sorted i think with some help from tips on a few threads here on IIS.

Here are a few images that have each been stacked from four or five light frames only, no darks or flats as i was and still am experimenting with equipment setup to see what I want to work with, eg field size etc and i still need to get a field flattener for both scopes as well but at least the stacking side is working and the images should improve somewhat with darks and flats from here on in, oh and the flattener of course.

I wont bother with details of the images as they are nothing special other than to say they were shot with a std Pentax K5 through my SW ED80 and also my Meade 8"sct 4-5 light frames iso 800 and stacked in DSS.

Centaurus A
ETA Car wide
ETA Car a little closer
And Mars with the Leo Triplet

I'm happy to be making progress and I hope you like them.

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Centaurus A copy.jpg)
128.7 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (eta2 16bit copy.jpg)
201.0 KB37 views
Click for full-size image (eta close copy.jpg)
212.1 KB47 views
Click for full-size image (Mars with Leo Triplet copy.jpg)
133.0 KB38 views
Old 05-04-2012, 09:26 PM
Poita (Peter)

Great stuff.
What is your process for getting them to this stage?
Old 06-04-2012, 12:21 AM
Nico13 (Ken)
Galaxy Hunting

As I've just been using a small number of light frames I load the raw images select 100% stacking so all images are used.
Other settings are 4% on star detection and a median filter before registering for reduced noise and then median combination method and RGB background calibration also.
Result mode std
Light mode median
Alignment automatic
Intermediate files are created for each light frame
and a debayered image saved when raw img processing.

Autosave an output tiff in 16 bit file which is reloaded to allow curves adjustment for contrast and saturation although I have not been adding any saturation really just improving the black point for better contrast.
I then save the final file to a new location that is then loaded into CS5 for colour adjustment in selective colour as the file looks almost black and white from DSS but the colours are soon brought out in photoshop.

That comes down to your personal choice then, as you are bringing the colour up from almost nothing you can easily over or under do the colours so you realy need to look at what is an accepted image by others I guess. Can be a bit of a fiddle to get right