Old 26-10-2009, 10:38 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

Playing with a Quickcam

So I thought I 'd try the Logitech quickcam experiment seeing as it would cost me nothing.

First time out I set up during daylight and got it to work focused on distant trees. I thought maybe this might work and be some fun. Once it got dark I could not pick up anything with it. I think I just wasn't getting lined up properly and there was no moon at the time.

Tonight was my second outing. Setup again before dark and lined up on the trees. All good so far. Then swung around to the quarter moon.

First thing I noticed was this was zoomed in far more than I expected. I was thinking I would have a full shot of the moon and that would be it. This was more magnification than I get from my smallest EP.

The image started out all washed out but then either the camera or software (wxAstroCapture) was adjusting something and toned things down so the craters could be seen. If I can stop the wind I might even get a picture out of this.

Next I moved over to Jupiter. All I could get was a bright disc that looks like oncoming headlights. With the amount of magnification I am getting I would hope to actually pick up a bit of extra detail than I can see with my eyes.

I really don't know what I am doing here. Any suggestions as to what I need to adjust so I can see something?

Michael.
Old 27-10-2009, 12:48 AM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaellxv View Post
First thing I noticed was this was zoomed in far more than I expected. I was thinking I would have a full shot of the moon and that would be it. This was more magnification than I get from my smallest EP.

The image started out all washed out but then either the camera or software (wxAstroCapture) was adjusting something and toned things down so the craters could be seen. If I can stop the wind I might even get a picture out of this.

Next I moved over to Jupiter. All I could get was a bright disc that looks like oncoming headlights. With the amount of magnification I am getting I would hope to actually pick up a bit of extra detail than I can see with my eyes.
I had the same problem when I first started to image. As far as the moon I take AVI that contains every part of the moon that I need. The next step is the processing side, sitting down at a computer 5 time longer than it takes to get the AVI sometime longer.

Jupiter as well as the moon to get the right exposure you may need filter, the first thing is to manually reduce the exposure on the camera filter settings. I am having problems using the (wxAstroCapture) software you are using with my camera so as long as you can turn off the auto exposure and the auto whitebalance setting and manually adjust them. I would start at minimum and raise it up as you go. My webcam is spec'ed low light so I need minimum settings as well I need 3 filter, IR, Moon and another moon filter. At the moment I use 2 polarising filter and adjust them to compensate. The IR filter give great contrast.

Webcam software default is auto exposure and when Jupiter comes into picture here is still too much black in the picture to allow the auto exposure to adjust correctly.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 AM
michaellxv (Michael)

First moon shot

Well I downloaded Registax tonight and ran the moon avi thru just see what would happen.

I was pleasantly surprised. Compared to the very poor quality of the avi the final image actualy looks like part of the moon

There enough there to make me keep trying.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (moon_20091026_0939_027.jpg)
28.3 KB46 views
Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 AM
Spanrz (Brett)
Always fixing a CAT.

Did you take off the front lens for these shots?

These quickcams are great to use for mucking around with. There is a few websites around that show you how to modify a webcam (quickcam) for better astrophoto's. I think youtube has a few of these vids.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:53 PM
michaellxv (Michael)

yeah, I took the front lense off the camera and pulled a door stopper of the wall (as per the instructions in the project). My door stopper was a bit smaller than 1.25" so is a loose fit which probably doesn't help.

I will look at finding a better adapter for the camera. Also need to try again on a night with no wind. Even a light breeze blows my scope around all over the place. Obviously need a better mount if I was ever going to do this seriously.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 PM
White Rabbit
Space Cadet

Nice one, it looks as though your just a tad out of focus there.

For a first attempt though it's not bad

Sandy