Old 23-04-2018, 09:39 AM
kosborn (Kevin)

Guide camera suggestions

Hi all,

I have an ASI120MC (USB 2.0) that I am using as a guide camera. I bought the colour version so I could also use it for planetary imaging. I have significant issues with loss of sync and split frames while guiding to the point where I lose many subs if I don't sit and watch it the entire time. I am using the latest driver with Windows 10 and from my reading there doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem. I am looking at options for a replacement (just for guiding so mono would be appropriate). Are there any good suggestions? Does anyone know if the AS120MM-S (USB 3.0) has the same issues with sync and split frames?

Thanks, Kevin
Old 23-04-2018, 09:45 AM
Imme (Jon)

I have the USB3 and it seems to work fine (for the last 6 months)
Old 23-04-2018, 09:52 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I had the usb3 one and it was weird. You need to make sure you pick one driver and stay with it - don’t swap between the Ascom driver and the manufacturers driver. Mine almost bricked as a result and if you update drivers, totally remove the old stuff first otherwise no worky at all.

I found the native driver better but it still lost sync or dropped frames. I wasn’t enthralled with it. I jumped on the ZWO train then got off at the next station (QHY should have been enough lesson)

I use lodestar - never an issue - but just bought a Moravian fan cooled g1-0300 which also has a Sony sensor, so will see how that goes.
Old 23-04-2018, 10:37 AM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Whats the views on nikon D810 A otherwise..I am swayed by to few adds I have seen an wonder if it would be a good choice to stay from going narrow band...not as good but seems better.
Alex

Last edited by xelasnave; 23-04-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 23-04-2018, 10:50 AM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Wrong thread me thinks Alex
Old 23-04-2018, 03:25 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imme View Post
I have the USB3 and it seems to work fine (for the last 6 months)
Jon,

Encouraging that the USB3.0 version is working for you. Are you using it for guiding or imaging?

Kevin
Old 23-04-2018, 03:37 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisM View Post
Wrong thread me thinks Alex
Yeh I looked for replies where I thought it went but not only were there no replies my post was not there either...I was up late last night imagining so befuddled no doubt.
Alex
Old 23-04-2018, 08:59 PM
luka
Unregistered User

I had exactly the same split-frame issues with the ASI120MC and eventually gave up trying to use it for guiding. The USB 3.0 version should not have the same problems.

I opted for ASI290MM mini which is also USB 2.0 but does not suffer from the split-frame issues. It works amazingly well.

The old ASI120MC got delegated for planetary use only.
Old 23-04-2018, 09:23 PM
Imme (Jon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosborn View Post
Jon,

Encouraging that the USB3.0 version is working for you. Are you using it for guiding or imaging?

Kevin
Purely guiding at present but will eventually get around to imaging with it.
I've probably put 40 hours on it so far.
Old 24-04-2018, 01:27 PM
ChrisV (Chris)

I've got an ASI290MM (USB3) that is great for guiding and live imaging.

If I was just going for guiding I agree with Luka, I'd get the ASI290MM mini autoguider. Its USB2 and is $200 cheaper !
Old 24-04-2018, 07:17 PM
kosborn (Kevin)

Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
I've got an ASI290MM (USB3) that is great for guiding and live imaging.

If I was just going for guiding I agree with Luka, I'd get the ASI290MM mini autoguider. Its USB2 and is $200 cheaper !
Bintel has the ASI290MM mini listed at $399 but the ASI120MM (USB3) at $329. I'll shop around to see what's best. I'm imaging with the ASI120MC guiding as we speak and around every 60 seconds the damn thing loses sync. Luckily my focal length of 550mm is forgiving of rubbish tracking (and coincidentally rubbish polar alignment ).

Kevin
Old 25-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

I've used both the ASI224MC and (more recently) the ASI290MM to guide my Esprit using a small WO scope piggybacked.

Both of those are really sensitive, not appreciably better guiding between the two, but the 290 picks up globs, galaxy cores, nebulae in 2 second guide subs...

Incidentally, you might want to resolve your so-called rubbish polar alignment use the polar alignment feature in Sharpcap if you have view of the SCP, works like a charm.
Old 25-04-2018, 12:30 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

I concur - Sharpcap is a dream to use. I got mine from pick up and carry outside to EXCELLENT alignment is 5 minutes last time out.

I still swear by Lodestar - not once have I sworn AT it, unlike other guidecams I have used.
Old 25-04-2018, 12:39 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

I've been guiding with the ASI120mc for last few years without a problem. Only issue I've had is to make sure the 1600mm-c is powered on 12v first otherwise Sharpcap finds the 120mc instead.
My 120 is one of the earlier versions, not sure if that has anything to do with it. It's also been good on solar, planetary and lunar imaging during my early experimental learning times.