Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 07-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

The Latest Dr.Who - Initially Poor, Getting Better

Two Sundays ago, the drama involved the Doctor's assistant Clara acting like a five year old girl for most of the program.

A couple of weeks earlier both the Doctor and she had been on their lefty anti-military personnel kick, but her boyfriend turned good last Sunday, by dropping out of the military (I think Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart would be turning in his grave).

But last Sunday, in 2049 the moon suddenly got as much gravity as the earth, causing huge tides on earth - with no explanation of how a planet's worth of extra mass suddenly got there, while the moon maintained the same volume.

I was puzzling over that nonsense when a big bird hatched out of the moon. Apparently birds grow very big and get that extra mass as dense as lead, and nearly as massive as the earth, from nothing.

Anyhow, the moon blew up, the bird flew away (how does a bird fly in a vacuum?), then the moon congealed again, and all was well.

Oh, and the Tardis keeps appearing behind a glass door in a school corridor where all the students can see it, and no students says anything about it.

With such pathetic scripts, the show has either reverted to a young juvenile format or I think they've given up on it.

Any thoughts?
Renato

Last edited by Renato1; 17-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:52 PM
blink138 (Pat)

................ did not enjoy it then i gather?
pat
Old 07-10-2014, 07:17 PM
JB80 (Jarrod)
Aussie abroad.

I have no problems with a Space chicken flying away and laying a new moon.

Getting everyone to switch off their lights on call was a bit of a stretch though.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 PM
Amaranthus (Barry)
Thylacinus stargazoculus

I actually thought the new Doctor and new series has been the best in ages! I was getting sick of boyish actors and "save the universe" plots every episode. We're back to old school, and me like. Give me grumpy Docs and narrow but interesting storylines anyday!
Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 PM
Regulus (Trevor)
Regulus - Couer de Leon

Yup. Story lines are weak.
I sad because I am finding it really difficult to like the new Dr's personality.
Given that I would have thought they'd go for better stories.
I hope it changes soon or I will be calling for him to regenerate.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Terry B
Country living & viewing

I must agree that I was concerned about the poor physics with the moon episode. Dr Who doesn't really need physics to work but the extra mass that the moon creates out of nothing was a pretty big stretch. No explanation at all like a "flux capacitor" or some other inter-dimentional trick to accrue mass.
Still fun to watch though.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:27 PM
rat156

Let me get this right...

You're complaining about a time travelling alien, with a box that's bigger on the inside that, for some reason, takes an interest in our planet and its inhabitants breaking the "laws" of physics??

It's entertainment people, get a grip. If you don't like it, turn it off.

Science fiction in the popularist form that gets made into either TV or film is not accurate, 2001 was the last film where it was silent in space, no film or TV series has ever got an asteroid field correct...

Next you'll be questioning the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Cheers
Stuart
Old 07-10-2014, 09:30 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

Only over a really hot cup of tea.

I am struggling a bit with the new doctor, it seems like they have not quite figured out what personality to give him.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 PM
SimmoW (SIMON)
Farting Nebulae

Have to admit I like the new Doc, agree that the youthful ones just don't cut it imho. But Clara is pretty nice on the eyes! Though none will ever match 'my' Sarah Jane Smith. At her peak, my god she was so cuuuute!
Old 07-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Gets a no vote from me too. As a long term fan (still remember hiding behind the couch as a kid when daleks & cybermen were on) i'm hugely dissappointed with the new guy.

Agreed the last couple of Drs were young & teen fan friendly but this new fellow is not winning mature audiences over either.

All that Clara drama at the end was so annoying I actually turned it off before it finished! Dont get me started on the bird thing.

I live in hope, inside the Dalek episode was pretty cool so I havn't completely given up yet, but he's on notice!

Cheers
Andy
Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rat156 View Post

Science fiction in the popularist form that gets made into either TV or film is not accurate, 2001 was the last film where it was silent in space, no film or TV series has ever got an asteroid field correct...

Next you'll be questioning the Infinite Improbability Drive.

Cheers
Stuart
Hi Stuart,
The newer series of Battlestar Galactica was silent in space.

Science fiction and fantasy requires some suspension of disbelief to work. Even if Dr.Who were fantasy, and he had a big Genie in a bottle conjure up the massive bird in the moon, it wouldn't have worked, as the Genie would have been Good.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 07-10-2014, 11:17 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmoW View Post
Have to admit I like the new Doc, agree that the youthful ones just don't cut it imho. But Clara is pretty nice on the eyes! Though none will ever match 'my' Sarah Jane Smith. At her peak, my god she was so cuuuute!
I like the new Doctor too, they just aren't using him right. And why is he forever chasing after Clara to go with him?

My favourite assistant was the Australian Airline Stewardess (whatever her name was) who eventually had had enough and told the Doctor she'd had it and left - with no tearful goodbyes.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 07-10-2014, 11:18 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink138 View Post
................ did not enjoy it then i gather?
pat
No, I didn't - I felt I'd wasted an hour of my life which I'll never get back.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 07-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB80 View Post
I have no problems with a Space chicken flying away and laying a new moon.

Getting everyone to switch off their lights on call was a bit of a stretch though.
I guess they could have made it interesting - with a giant Colonel Sanders.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 07-10-2014, 11:24 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaranthus View Post
I actually thought the new Doctor and new series has been the best in ages! I was getting sick of boyish actors and "save the universe" plots every episode. We're back to old school, and me like. Give me grumpy Docs and narrow but interesting storylines anyday!
I'm rewatching the boyish Dr.Whos on Syfy channel, and to me the episodes seem more gripping than first time round. Though I must admit that "save the earth" episodes are just far too many, while "save the universe" or "universes" were a bit hard to swallow.

Hopefully, someone gets some decent scripts to this more mature Doctor who I had high hopes for.
Regards,
Renato
Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus View Post
Yup. Story lines are weak.
I sad because I am finding it really difficult to like the new Dr's personality.
Given that I would have thought they'd go for better stories.
I hope it changes soon or I will be calling for him to regenerate.
It takes a few episodes to accustom to the new Doctor's personality. This guy could still wind up good. Let's hope.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 07-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
I must agree that I was concerned about the poor physics with the moon episode. Dr Who doesn't really need physics to work but the extra mass that the moon creates out of nothing was a pretty big stretch. No explanation at all like a "flux capacitor" or some other inter-dimentional trick to accrue mass.
Still fun to watch though.
It would have been a really big stretch even with those tricks, but without them it wasn't science fiction but magic fantasy.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 07-10-2014, 11:33 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_bluester View Post
Only over a really hot cup of tea.

I am struggling a bit with the new doctor, it seems like they have not quite figured out what personality to give him.
Yes - currently, while mature, he seems more insecure with possible loneliness than either of his two much younger predecessors. Seems to be acting a bit like of a teenager at times.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 07-10-2014, 11:39 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Gets a no vote from me too. As a long term fan (still remember hiding behind the couch as a kid when daleks & cybermen were on) i'm hugely dissappointed with the new guy.

Agreed the last couple of Drs were young & teen fan friendly but this new fellow is not winning mature audiences over either.

All that Clara drama at the end was so annoying I actually turned it off before it finished! Dont get me started on the bird thing.

I live in hope, inside the Dalek episode was pretty cool so I havn't completely given up yet, but he's on notice!

Cheers
Andy
Yes I'm finding Clara extremely annoying - I think she votes Green.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 08-10-2014, 12:05 AM
cometcatcher (Kevin)
<--- Comet Hale-Bopp

That last Moon episode was... well totally stupid, even for science fiction.

But it would be nice to blow it up, or at least push it a bit further away.