Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 25-03-2018, 09:18 AM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

Dark day in Aussie cricket

Speachless....

The worlds best batsman since The Don and Aussie captain, Steve Smith... is plain and simple a blatant cheat...dear 'o dear....

I'm heart broken this morning...

Mike
Old 25-03-2018, 09:39 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Mike & All,

Indeed a very sad state of affairs.

I think the only honourable course of action is for Australia to forfeit the match and for Steve Smith to stand down from the captaincy for the rest of the series. I have a high regard for Steve Smith and of course this isn't the end of his career nor his captaincy, there are a plethora of similar instances even in test cricket that have not ended the career of the perpetrator. Smith's opposing captain (Faf du Plessis) was found guilty of a similar offence only a couple of years ago. However, ball tampering is abhorrent and must be stamped-out by stern punishments.

I can well imagine a number of former Australian captains and players are turning away in shame.

Best,

L.
Old 25-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Tropo-Bob (Bob)

"Be a good sport" used to be said to encourage better standards of behaviour.

I gave up watching the NRL years ago when one of my favoured teams dropped the ball before the line, and knew it, but managed to fool the referee into awarding the try. They all celebrated so shamelessly that it made me feel ill.

Gilly deserved to receive special awards for bringing cricket into repute for the manner that he would walk when he knew he was out, regardless of the ref's decision.
Old 25-03-2018, 10:09 AM
Hoges (John)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropo-Bob View Post
"Be a good sport" used to be said to encourage better standards of behaviour.

Gilly deserved to receive special awards for bringing cricket into repute for the manner that he would walk when he knew he was out, regardless of the ref's decision.
Hear hear. Far, far too often have the Australians stooped to insults and threats on the cricket field - I'm not saying other teams have not, but it sets a really poor example.
Old 25-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Saturnine (Jeff)

I was actually listening to the ABC online broadcast of play last / early this morning when the incident was brought to light and have to say that I'm dismayed and disappointed. Any ethical and moral high ground that the team may have had after the sledging incidents and crowd abuse has evaporated. That it seems it was a premeditated plan to scuff the ball and to be caught out so blatantly should involve match suspensions and fines. Should Steve Smith lose the captaincy, probably not, going by previous incidents of ball tampering by other teams but it is a low light in our proud cricketing traditions.
Old 25-03-2018, 10:43 AM
GrahamL
pro lumen

Would the leadership team also include the coach ?

If so boot the lot of them , the captain of any team takes on with the role that unenviable measure of responsibility for when things go wrong beyond there control ,but when they are agreeable to cheating and knowingly set the tone , I cant see how he can go on in the position .Great batsmen but surely no longer the right person to lead the team.
Old 25-03-2018, 11:20 AM
AndrewJ
Watch me post!

Its just the next step in our lowering of the bar of social acceptance for what can be done these days.
The cricketers are just taking a lead from our pollies.
Do whatever it takes and hope you dont get caught.
If you do get caught, obfuscate your way around it till the 24 hr news cycle moves onto something else.
Nothing to see here, move on :-(
Sad really.
Andrew
Old 25-03-2018, 11:32 AM
billdan (Bill)

I was watching the game live on Fox Sports and I was dumbfounded when I saw what Bancroft was doing in front of 30 TV cameras zoomed in on him.

At the time I thought it was just him acting alone, but later in the press conference where Capt' Smith said the leadership team formulated this plan over lunch, was downright suicide.

Didn't anyone put their hand up and say "guys this is illegal what you are proposing". What if Bancroft had said "No boss, I'm not doing it, that's illegal", would he then be dropped for the next test for not being a team player.
Old 25-03-2018, 11:37 AM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

That there was collusion from the leadership team in the tampering decision
So they all must be considered in any punishment that is metered out by the ICC.
The Australian team has shown over the period of this test series to be ill disciplined,and even after the punishment received by Warner and others have said we will carry on in the same way.
So the punishment and warnings have had no effect.
Buff seems to condone most of the actions of the team and should also be sanctioned.
I too was ashamed as what had happened when I woke up this morning and saw the interview on line.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:08 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

It is clear, as the actual perpetrator of the illegal action, that Bancroft needs to be suspended immediately but as far as I am concerned, a premeditated colluded plan to break rules in such a clandestine manner, by a captain of a national team, should mean immediate expulsion form the captaincy role and a significant suspension as well.

I don't care what other players of other countries have been dealt after such things in the past, in my opinion there is simply no room for premeditated plans to pervert the rules of a game, especially at international level.

My estimation of Steve Smith has dropped to rock bottom, his brilliance in batting at test level means nothing if he has no integrity.

Mike
Old 25-03-2018, 12:21 PM
JA

I think that some of the on-field (and recently off-field) insults and slurs are far worse in terms of bringing the game in to disrepute - If their detail were to become widely known amongst the public.

Best
JA
Old 25-03-2018, 12:24 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

I haven't supported Australian teams since that repulsive maggot t.chapel demonstrated his disgraceful underarm problem against the Kiwi's, decades ago...

Have seen little to indicate any change of attitude since and have found it truly ironic that they whine when the S.African team have shown they are better at "sledging" than Australia.

Aussies love to brag at being the supposed "best" in sport, but have proven they will stoop pretty low to achieve the title.

Sportsmanship pretty much died out a long time ago when the great god $ arrived on the field; money killed cricket just as it killed football.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:28 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
It is clear, as the actual perpetrator of the illegal action, that Bancroft needs to be suspended immediately but as far as I am concerned, a premeditated colluded plan to break rules in such a clandestine manner, by a captain of a national team, should mean immediate expulsion form the captaincy role and a significant suspension as well.

I don't care what other players of other countries have been dealt after such things in the past, in my opinion there is simply no room for premeditated plans to pervert the rules of a game, especially at international level.

My estimation of Steve Smith has dropped to rock bottom, his brilliance in batting at test level means nothing if he has no integrity.

Mike
I agree whole heartedly.
They have brought the game in disrepute.
Smith's halo has definitely disintegrated.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:32 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

Unfortunately i think this has been brooding for a long time. Australian cricketers like to bandy the phrases "hard but fair" and "within the spirit of the game", which over time, due to the higher and higher stakes involved, have been eroded to mean "be as obnoxious/illegal as humanly possible without actually being caught/fined". I think cheating is the next logical step. After the positively abhorrent behavior of that graceless oik David Warner (who after years of acting like a complete tool both on and off the field gets rewarded with the vice captaincy), it's not unreasonable to assume that winning at all costs gets taken to its inevitable conclusion. I love cricket, but over the last 10-15 years the aussie cricket team has just become an embarrassment of loutish, immature, and uncouth overpaid man-children.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:35 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA View Post
I think that some of the on-field (and recently off-field) insults and slurs are far worse in terms of bringing the game in to disrepute - If their detail were to become widely known amongst the public.

Best
JA
I disagree, there is poor, rude behaviour or sledging in the heat of the game.. and then there is out right flagrant premeditated cheating and this is worse and by a fair margin....
Old 25-03-2018, 12:39 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Saw Steve Smith on that press conference this morning apologizing to no end then saying he wasn't considering stepping down because he still thought he was the right person for the captain's position. If he did instruct his guys to do this and the bloke who got caught and suspended was following his orders then that doesn't add up. He's delusional. Can't help thinking of all the young kids watching this and aspiring to play for the aussies one day. Some role model...
Old 25-03-2018, 12:41 PM
clive milne

Cricket Australia is a privately owned corporation... matters of ethics are window dressing by definition.
Old 25-03-2018, 12:42 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Saw Steve Smith on that press conference this morning apologizing to no end then saying he wasn't considering stepping down because he still thought he was the right person for the captain's position. If he did instruct his guys to do this and the bloke who got caught and suspended was following his orders then that doesn't add up. He's delusional.
Agree ...I am, and I am sure millions of other Aussies today, totally pissed at this revelation. I am sure Cycling enthusiasts felt similar when they discovered the seemingly immortal Lance Armstrong was in fact just another drug cheat...shameful

Mike
Old 25-03-2018, 12:51 PM
Shano592 (Shane)

I was so dirty about this, upon reading it. I cannot believe that this mentality exists still. That this was the captain's idea is staggering. Talk about shades of Hansie Cronje. I was gutted for the game back then, too. I was always admired the way Cronje carried himself on-field.

In my youth, I was always taught to put your toe to the line, but never go over it. If you can't win from inside the rules, then take up another sport.

A match hard won is a great experience. A match hard lost is not far off it either. You did your best, and you kept your honour intact.

I'm struggling to understand Smith's motivation, and also why he wasn't man enough to do it himself, if it was such a great idea. Whether Bancroft volunteered or not, Smith should never have put this into the players' minds... and certainly not into a junior player's hands.

Now I want to know if the whole team knew about it, but did nothing. If they did, then wholesale changes need to happen.

I'm going to be cheesed about this for weeks. This is my sport, and those at the top are ruining it.

As for sledging, I heard a great response from one of our players in our final, last weekend: "There is nothing that these guys can say to me, that my Year 8 maths class hasn't already said to my face." For me, I am yet to hear anything in my league that comes remotely close to the stuff in the WA Suburban Turf league of old.
Old 25-03-2018, 01:20 PM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Yes ... Devastated ... Disappointed

What an unbelievably bad decision this was.
Corrupt and Fraud come to mind.
Steve Smith ... I still can't believe he would be party to such crap.

I, like others, am totally sick of the need to play dirty
(and still call it within the spirit of the game).
But this is a new low low.

Same thing for NRL (my other love).
Dirty blows, tricks, and milking.... stinks and reduces the value of the win.

As someone said earlier ... if you cant win on your own ability and within the rules then find another sport.
Totally un-Australian.

Like you Shane, I am fuming.

And like you Bob, we need more Gillys in the game.