Old 28-03-2017, 05:25 PM
DavidS (David)

Slow alignment process

Hi there.. I would appreciate some advice please.

I have an 8" SCT on EQ mount but I'm finding it takes me too long to align the scope 30mins generally because the back to front and left to right optics play with my head, my knowledge of the stars and my finderscope is too powerful (9x50) and the need to add calibration stars. I now understand if I can get the two star alignment done much quicker (2-3 mins) then my overall alignment will be much more accurate and I won't need the calibration stars as much.

To help me I've decided to go for a Telrad, green laser or a Rigel quick finder. I'm not keen on the laser and the size of the Telrad has me concerned even though most Telrad owners seem to like them.

Has anyone had any experience with Telrad v the Rigel? I'd be interested in their speed of alignment using either of these scopes.

Appreciate people's thoughts on how to improve my speed
Old 28-03-2017, 08:18 PM
Kunama

The Telrad is fast and simple to use, the boxy design is not really to my liking but it functions very well. I use one on my large scope as my only finder.

On my other scope, a 5" refractor on an Alt Az GoTo mount, I use the Baader SkySurferV which is a very well made red dot finder. I don't really use any other finders on this scope either.

I understand the Rigel is similarly quick to use but have not used them much. I only use a laser as a handheld pointer when doing some outreach events. I live next to a hospital helipad so no laser use at home.
Old 28-03-2017, 09:17 PM
iborg (Philip)

Hi

I make use of an app on the phone to select two alignment stars first, then I know where they are and what I am looking for. I have both a Meade finder (8 x 50) and an RDF. I mostly use the Meade finder for alignment.

I also a low power eyepiece first, then switch to an illuminated crosshair eyepiece for each alignment star. This seems to give me better accuracy.

I think 5mins for the process.

My scope is alt/az, and I think that polar alignment first would make it harder.

Philip
Old 30-03-2017, 02:35 AM
DavidS (David)

Thanks for the responses. I noticed you both have alt Az which I'm think might be making it easier as well as I do spend time tracking offline as the mount is EQ'd.

I like the idea of using the app first to pick the stars so I have a plan. I've learnt though the the scope will only let me pick stars lower in the sky to the east. I'll also check out reviews for the Baader.

David
Old 30-03-2017, 07:18 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

I use a Telrad on scopes smaller than yours. Its indispensable for me. The rings are easy to see and easy to line up a target inside them. The red dot types can be difficult to find the red dot especially on an eq mount where you almost have to stand on your head at times depending where the scope is pointing. Plus in practice the dot is bigger than the star or planet you are trying to place it on so when you move back to the eyepiece you dont know which direction it is when its not in the immediate field of view. The Telrad circles just work out so much better in practice to use and more accurate. Also the adjustments for red dot positions can be easy to move by accident in the dark when you go to turn it on or off, which is another drawback of these.. they are dark and silent, so its easy to forget its on as you're busy moving back to the eyepiece and handset setting up. At least the ugly bulk of the telrad is a more visible reminder plus the easy viewing angle and larger ring means if you leave it on you might catch a glimpse of the ring during the your session so it doesnt stay on all night. Dont know if any of these have an auto off feature, its a bad night when you set everything up and go to start alignment and find your finder still on from your last session and no dot or ring to be seen.

Adjusting the ring positions in the telrad view when you initially align your finder seems to be much broader than the red dot ones I have. So its more forgiving about mounting position being out a little bit. The downside of the telrad is its bulk, mine are double sided taped to my scopes, so storage and transport can knock it off. The scopes I use regularly are always on tripod ready to wheel outside with dust covers over them so for me its not a concern.

I've never felt the need to try a green laser with a scope. Its useful with friends to point out things in the sky and helpful for comet hunting with my DSLR where I'll use a star map to work out where a comet is and if its not near a prominent item I get my eye-in on the sky where it will be then point my camera there and lay a laser along the top and side of the lens to make sure its pointed at the patch of sky the comet is hiding in. Plus i do have a red dot finder that can mount into the flash hot shoe on the camera if I want to use that to align instead.