Old 26-06-2018, 09:46 AM
sj777 (Dave)

Modded webcam vs a real guidecam

I am using a logitech C270 webcam as a guidecam on the cheap with PHD2. Even after playing with the gain and exposure of the webcam props, it really only shows me pretty bright stars such that there might not be one that is usable in the direction of the imaging scope. Would a proper guidecam such as an ZWO ASI120MC or MM be more sensitive and show more star to choose from?

I do some basic imaging with my Canon EOS M6 on a Star Adventurer mount. For my 300mm FL shots I have found that guiding has a marked improvement on the outcome. I tried to do it on the cheap by modding the logitech C270 with a 3d printed 1.25 inch nose piece and a 50mm orion guidescope I got on icetrade. It's not too bad a situation at the moment as I can point the guidescope in a different direction to the dslr using a ball head adaptor. But if I decide to get a WO Z61 or 71 at some point I'd like to go to a piggyback config and I might not get a star to use in the fov. I'm happy to buy a proper guidecam but if it's not going to give me more choice then there is no point.

I do the RA control from PHD2 via an ardiuno ASCOM/USB-ST4 convertor.

Thanks
Dave
Old 26-06-2018, 10:30 AM
Merlin66 (Ken)

An ASI 120MM or the QHY5III would certainly be an improvement over the webcam.
Old 26-06-2018, 12:27 PM
xelasnave
Gravity does not Suck

I think you will get a surprise if you get a ZWO.
I certainly was.
In the old days, doing manual guiding, it would take ages to find a star bright enough to see and so the guide scope was mounted in those little rings so you could adjust and find something.
With the ZWO I have never had to move it and as to selecting a guide star I use the auto find function.
Take advantage of the new gear it is well worth it.
Alex
Old 26-06-2018, 12:39 PM
ZeroID (Brent)
Lost in Space ....

ZWO, Yup ... I rarely have to adjust my 120mc and 80F5 to find a suitable star. Sometimes even trying to find a fainter star to get a better profile. the 120mm is more sensitive. They are pretty cheap now being older models if you buy them direct.
Old 26-06-2018, 05:05 PM
sj777 (Dave)

Thanks all. Sounds like that is the right way to progress. I'll put on my wishlist.