Old 14-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Placesinthedark (Stephen)

Got the 10" Dob! Thanks all

Hi all,

Got the 10" dob from Astro-Anarchy. Pete was great to deal with and helped out with my over-obsession with 2" pieces lol. I was about to get an 8" but Pete was like "just get the 10" and I'll help out getting a 2" eyepiece" he spoke my girlfriend's language as he said I wouldn't need to upgrade - after that, I knew she approved and it was time to buy!

I was able to set it up same day and had two nights of great observing and I love it so much more than the 90GT wifi. Firstly, it's so much easier just moving the scope myself, the set up is easy and it's an impressive unit to behold impressing many.

What surprised me most was the Orion barlow I had worked really well, probably from the gain in light from the 90mm to the 250. I was looking at a nebula in the small Magellanic cloud and by god the things I could see! I saw what looked like actual dust swirls, and the longer I looked and let my eyes adjust the better it got. It's like using a VHS (90GT) and then upgrading to Blu-Ray.

It's a comfortable height to sit down next to and view from 45 to zenith so I feel pretty lucky it works out so well.

The 2" inch eyepiece needs to be taken out a little from the focuser to get it to actually focus but it's no big deal.

The set up for the 90GT was such a pain, but the dob stays in the shed where the temperature is closer to outside so it doesn't need a long cool down.

Overall a great buy and I hope QLD people give Astro-Anarchy a try, I wish they stocked the GSO dobs with all the bells and whistles but at the end of the day they are all pretty similar
Old 14-12-2018, 09:12 PM
gaseous (Patrick)

You can't really go wrong with Pete and Mike, and a 10" dob will serve you well for many years, particularly if you get a decent nebula filter. If only these clouds would take a hike.
Old 18-12-2018, 08:22 AM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

Awesome Steven and .

Yes a 10 inch will keep you going for years and years , I have a mate here with one and it's simply one of the best scopes I have ever looked through , you will enjoy using and learning with this very powerful instrument . .

Enjoy and what an excellent Christmas present , Merry Christmas .

Brian.
Old 19-12-2018, 12:15 AM
AEAJR (Ed)

Congratulations on your new scope. Yes, that 10" is going to show you a lot that a 90 just can't reach.

As for pulling the eyepiece out a bit. You can add something called a parfocalizing ring to it.
https://agenaastro.com/blue-fireball...-eyepiece.html

Ask your shop about it. You pull the ring on the eyepiece, then pull the eyepiece out to the proper position and then lock the ring down. Now the eyepiece will be right every time.

People use these to make disparrate eyepieces parfocal so they don't have to refocus when they change eyepieces.

Do you have an adjustable observing chair?

Denver Chair – Works Great!
I built this one . It took about 2 hours. Can be built from scrap or new.
http://valleystargazers.com/Chair.pdf
Old 19-12-2018, 06:30 PM

I'll have to look into a nebula filter, how much does a decent one go for?
Old 19-12-2018, 06:34 PM

I don't have a good chair, but was at Supercheap Auto and saw those gas lift chairs which seem stable enough with a round seat.

Actually at the moment I don't mind the set up, it's more the dammed clouds and now a full moon to contend with!

I think i have a 1inch ring that came with the scope but not that short one you linked to, so I'll have a look at grabbing that, maybe with a nebula filter in the future
Old 19-12-2018, 07:45 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placesinthedark View Post
it's more the dammed clouds and now a full moon to contend with!
Those clouds are doubly a frustration when what you are wanting to look at is the Moon.