Old 07-05-2018, 09:58 PM
Sunix

Guide scope Orion Mini VS SW 80

Hi guys,

In the process of getting my gears up-to-date for astrophotography, I'd like to grab some feed backs regarding a guide scope.

The Orion seems to be good for light weight I'm just concern by the FOV for guiding...
That's why I'm leaning towards the SW80 even with 1kg and $30 extra.

Thank you.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:45 PM
billdan (Bill)

Welcome to IIS Johannes.

The SW80 will provide better guiding at 400mm focal length compared to the 162mm focal length of the Orion mini.

Just make sure its bolted down tight and there is no wobble, also it should be pointing at the same spot as the main telescope. Sometimes getting it pointing correctly and bolted down tight can be incompatible.

Cheers
Bill
Old 08-05-2018, 09:44 PM
Sunix

Thanks Bill,

I get the idea of having it tightly fixed on top. I'd use solid clam shell type rather than set screw ring.

Can I check your thoughts if I had the opportunity to get a 102x500 at a good price?

I know it would be an extra kg or so, more weight to counter balance etc... But visually is it worth better or simply not for guiding?

I aim to put a 130 refractor (9 -10 kg) on my EQ6.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:38 AM
billdan (Bill)

I think the added weight of the 102/500mm guide scope will get into borderline territory for the EQ6. For imaging, the payload weight on the EQ6 shouldn't be higher than 15Kg. You have to also consider the weights of the cameras, cables, dew heaters and filter wheel if you go mono imaging.

However I have read about people with heavier payloads on an EQ6 imaging successfully. But general guidelines are the payload for imaging should not be more than 75% of total payload capacity, which I think is 20Kg for the EQ6.

The 500mm focal length guide scope will not provide any better guiding than the 400mm guide scope.

Cheers
Bill
Old 10-05-2018, 09:39 PM
Sunix

Thanks mate, that's pretty much all I needed to know.

Appreciate!