Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Deep Space

Old 21-10-2020, 12:13 PM
Placidus (Mike and Trish)
Narrowing the band

Ngc 300

Just 5 hours 30 mins of luminance, but the seeing was amazing, at 1.5 sec arc. We've added colour data from way back in 2015.

(The luminance data are so much better than our 2015 data that we just put the old stuff in the round filing cabinet).

The thumbnail is a crop. BIG ONE HERE

This galaxy is so close to us, and so big on the sky, one gets the feeling that one is seeing individual stars in it. Perhaps the things that look like stars (by the tens of thousands) are actually star forming regions - each dot being hundreds of stars - but there seem to be implausibly many of them for that. Apart from a slight difference of opinion over colour (we think it should be warmer, Lee thinks it should be bluer), our image is almost pixel-by-pixel the same as Lee's recent image: we confirm each other's work, and the dots, whatever they be, are not artifact or noise.

There are very many far-distant galaxies in the background, a couple of which have long tidal tails.

Lum: 5h30 in 30 min subs. RGB: 4h per channel in 1 hr subs, 2x2 binned.

FLI PL16803 on 20 inch PlaneWave. All robotics (electronics, firmware, software), acquisition and processing software designed built written in house by us. Like a dog climbing a ladder blindfolded, the miracle is not that it works well, but that it works at all.

Expecting 40 to 75 mm of rain over the next few days, so this will be it for this month.

Best,
Mike and Trish
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (NGC 300 Lum 11h30 RGB 4h each Thumb.jpg)
165.4 KB170 views
Old 21-10-2020, 01:23 PM
Peter Ward
Galaxy hitchhiking guide

Not much to say other than: Bravo!

A sublime rendition of a not-so-easy target.
Old 21-10-2020, 01:35 PM
rustigsmed (Russell)

Simply Beautiful! - great work M&T!
Old 21-10-2020, 01:36 PM
Retrograde (Pete)
a.k.a. @AstroscapePete

Awesome work M & T!
Old 21-10-2020, 01:47 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Really nice, as usual!
Old 21-10-2020, 01:58 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)
Highest Observatory in Oz

He he, enjoyed the post as much as the image

Great looking NGC 300 there guys, well done .

Being so large on the sky, at a mere 6 million light years, its great to be able to peer so deeply into a nearby galaxy like this and yes, the background fuzzies compliment the near/far scene

As far as seeing individual stars in NGC 300, and to some extent NGC 247 et al, goes, I have also often thought, is that real stellar resolution or just "cluster" resolution..?..not sure? I am sure there a some big blue giants visible over 6million light years..?

The colour is of course a debatable thing, I think your product is probably closer to the natural mark but upping the blue does make it rather attractive too

Mike
Old 21-10-2020, 02:27 PM
multiweb (Marc)
ze frogginator

Nice one Mike.
Old 21-10-2020, 04:20 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Not much to say other than: Bravo!

A sublime rendition of a not-so-easy target.
Thanks very much Peter. We are much encouraged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustigsmed View Post
Simply Beautiful! - great work M&T!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrograde View Post
Awesome work M & T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahnpahwa View Post
Really nice, as usual!
Russell, Pete, JP, thanks very much indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongmanmike View Post
He he, enjoyed the post as much as the image

Great looking NGC 300 there guys, well done .

Being so large on the sky, at a mere 6 million light years, its great to be able to peer so deeply into a nearby galaxy like this and yes, the background fuzzies compliment the near/far scene

As far as seeing individual stars in NGC 300, and to some extent NGC 247 et al, goes, I have also often thought, is that real stellar resolution or just "cluster" resolution..?..not sure? I am sure there a some big blue giants visible over 6million light years..?

The colour is of course a debatable thing, I think your product is probably closer to the natural mark but upping the blue does make it rather attractive too

Mike
Thanks for your thoughtful and encouraging comments Mike. We're sure you are right: Just fantasising, if with some particular scope we could capture a bright star at 6 light years in a hundredth of a second, the same star in NGC 300, at 6 million light years, would need an exposure a million squared times longer, or just over 3000 years. Rats!

Colin, you're good at this sort of thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiweb View Post
Nice one Mike.
Thanks Marc!
Old 21-10-2020, 07:21 PM
gregbradley

Very nice. One of my favourite galaxies. Its quite photogenic.

Greg.
Old 22-10-2020, 02:50 AM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

That's stunning! not overly processed, and so many background galaxies.

Josh
Old 22-10-2020, 07:59 AM
marc4darkskies (Marcus)
Billions and Billions ...

A stunning and beautifully processed rendition M&T!! That's a three thumbs-upper for sure!
Old 22-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Ryderscope (Rodney)

A beautiful rendition of this sparkling collection of one very large galaxy and several smaller cousins peppering the scene
Old 22-10-2020, 10:30 AM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Both yours and Lee's version are absolute stop shelf

My first instincts were that you would be able to "resolve" individual stars BUT it did get me thinking about some of the brighter stars in our galaxy could be bright compared to their surrounding. Take Alpha and Beta Ori, they're both about Mag 0 but they have an Absolute Mag of -7.2 & -8.1 respectively which is crazy bright. At a distance of 6 million lightyears it means that some of the luminous supergiants would be around the Mag 18-22 and could show up as individual stars as they're so much brighter than everything around them; they stand out.
Old 22-10-2020, 11:33 AM
Andy01 (Andy)
My God it's full of stars

Nothing significant to add to the worthy praise noted already.

However, the high res appears to have black rings in the cores of the larger stars? And yes, to echo Mike, a bit more blue would aid the aesthetic impact of this already very strong image.

Great to see you guys back regularly pumping out these great images again!
Old 22-10-2020, 02:32 PM
vlazg (George)

Agree with all, a fantastic image .i am intrigued buy the cluster of galaxies in the top left hand corner, amazing.
Old 22-10-2020, 08:26 PM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

That's an awesome NGC 300 guys, congrats! There's a little distorted galaxy at about 1 o'clock that I'm quite fond of... shows up well in yours but it was right on the edge of the frame on mine and I had to crop it out.

Your data looks as clean as mine and you have 9.5hrs here while I had almost 21. I assume you'll be continuing to add to it and combine that Ha data? Looking forward to seeing the final product!

As for the colour, mine's almost certainly... shall we say "optimistic"? Yours is almost certainly more accurate. To be honest I'm not striving for accuracy, I'm not sure how that can be achieved... I don't even trust PCC after seeing how applying deconvolution before using it can impact the results.
Old 22-10-2020, 08:27 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
Very nice. One of my favourite galaxies. Its quite photogenic.

Greg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Bunn View Post
That's stunning! not overly processed, and so many background galaxies.

Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc4darkskies View Post
A stunning and beautifully processed rendition M&T!! That's a three thumbs-upper for sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryderscope View Post
A beautiful rendition of this sparkling collection of one very large galaxy and several smaller cousins peppering the scene

Greg, Josh, Rodney, Marcus, thanks very much indeed. The "tiny" galaxies give a feel for how huge the universe is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
Both yours and Lee's version are absolute stop shelf

My first instincts were that you would be able to "resolve" individual stars BUT it did get me thinking about some of the brighter stars in our galaxy could be bright compared to their surrounding. Take Alpha and Beta Ori, they're both about Mag 0 but they have an Absolute Mag of -7.2 & -8.1 respectively which is crazy bright. At a distance of 6 million lightyears it means that some of the luminous supergiants would be around the Mag 18-22 and could show up as individual stars as they're so much brighter than everything around them; they stand out.
Thanks so much for thinking that through Colin. The conclusion is kinda nice: some rare and very bright stars would indeed be visible at that distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy01 View Post
Nothing significant to add to the worthy praise noted already.

However, the high res appears to have black rings in the cores of the larger stars? And yes, to echo Mike, a bit more blue would aid the aesthetic impact of this already very strong image.

Great to see you guys back regularly pumping out these great images again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlazg View Post
Agree with all, a fantastic image .i am intrigued buy the cluster of galaxies in the top left hand corner, amazing.
Andy, George: Thanks muchly guys. Most kind. We really must pay more attention to artifacts though. My biggest struggle, not just being intensely colourblind but being the guy who wrote the software, is getting the colours right. The problem is dealing with stars with burned-out cores, where the colour info is already lost at exposure time. Fiddling with the colour balance can create some bizarre effects. Some times I'm bloody close to throwing it all in, in disgust, and focusing on gardening.

Best,
Mike
Old 22-10-2020, 09:14 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placidus View Post
Some times I'm bloody close to throwing it all in, in disgust, and focusing on gardening.
Don't you dare!!
Old 22-10-2020, 09:15 PM
strongmanmike (Michael)

...but...if you do.....can I have your scope?
Old 22-10-2020, 09:46 PM
Narrowing the band

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
That's an awesome NGC 300 guys, congrats! There's a little distorted galaxy at about 1 o'clock that I'm quite fond of... shows up well in yours but it was right on the edge of the frame on mine and I had to crop it out.

Your data looks as clean as mine and you have 9.5hrs here while I had almost 21. I assume you'll be continuing to add to it and combine that Ha data? Looking forward to seeing the final product!

As for the colour, mine's almost certainly... shall we say "optimistic"? Yours is almost certainly more accurate. To be honest I'm not striving for accuracy, I'm not sure how that can be achieved... I don't even trust PCC after seeing how applying deconvolution before using it can impact the results.
Thanks for the kind words Lee. For open clusters and globulars, I try to find a known G2V star and make it come out white. Mostly (especially for narrowband) I tend to use the "colour agnostic" approach of making the main subject look on average neutral grey, arguing that the human eye and brain are most interested in differences rather than absolutes. Sad that one can't ask a galaxy to hold a standard 18% grey card up to its chest. Even if one did, the side facing us would be black!

Anyways, absolutely love your version of NGC 300.

Best,
Mike