Old 13-11-2016, 04:45 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Atik 16200

I have just noticed that Atik is introducing a new 16200 camera on their website. No info on the price as yet, but there is an interesting test image taken with this camera.
Old 13-11-2016, 06:08 PM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
I have just noticed that Atik is introducing a new 16200 camera on their website. No info on the price as yet, but there is an interesting test image taken with this camera.
The 16200 is the best sensor around for most astrophotographers at this time in my opinion.

It has the same sort of characteristics as its big brother the 16803. same QE, good well depth, 6 micron pixels suits many setups and local seeing conditions and it has very low read noise, lower than 16803 so in that way its an upgrade. I love mine its one of the best sensors I have used. Realistically also it may be one of the last high end CCDs as progress in that market seems slow and all the work is being done in CMOS for digital cameras like the ASI1600 has shown. Plus that is just with the Panasonic M43 sensor not the U-beaut Sony Exmor R sensors. Imagine the Sony A7r2 sensor backside illuminated full frame mono sensor with its advanced pixel desgin, sub 1 electron read noise at low ISO, very high QE in a 16 bit and cooled body - wow, that would suddenly make CCDs seem like dinosaurs.

Greg.
Old 13-11-2016, 09:37 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

For medium + focal lengths this camera is probably the second best on market at the moment (behind the 16803) but as Greg mentions, CCD progress these days hasn't moved too far.
The problem with the CMOS market at the moment is that there just isn't any big mono sensors out there in the sub $15,000 (thinking Nikon specific here). As far as I have been able to find, the largest native mono sensor out there is the M43 design. This is of course with the exception of CentralDS to modify DSLRs and mono them like the 5D Mk II&III and the 6D.

The problem with most of the Central DS cameras at the moment is the back focus, being just modified DSLRs they have an unmanageable back focus once a filter wheel, OAG ect.

We are entering a brave new world, just need bigger more larger sensors to choose from
Old 13-11-2016, 10:23 PM
gregbradley

I see QHY are developing some full frame CMOS cooled sensor cameras:

http://qhyccd.com/MediumCOLDMOS.html

The 36mp one is probably the same sensor in the Sony A7r and Nikon D800 cameras and now the Pentax K1.

The 24mp one is probably the same sensor as the one in the Sony A6000 camera.

Greg.
Old 13-11-2016, 10:28 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
For medium + focal lengths this camera is probably the second best on market at the moment (behind the 16803) but as Greg mentions, CCD progress these days hasn't moved too far.
The problem with the CMOS market at the moment is that there just isn't any big mono sensors out there in the sub $15,000 (thinking Nikon specific here). As far as I have been able to find, the largest native mono sensor out there is the M43 design. This is of course with the exception of CentralDS to modify DSLRs and mono them like the 5D Mk II&III and the 6D.

The problem with most of the Central DS cameras at the moment is the back focus, being just modified DSLRs they have an unmanageable back focus once a filter wheel, OAG ect.

We are entering a brave new world, just need bigger more larger sensors to choose from
Hmm, my own experience with CentralDS was not great. They are relying on debayering and this usually (in my experience), produces anomalies in the sensor. The one they did for me had remnants of the debayer layer left on the sensor and the epoxy wire protection got onto the surface. They refunded my payment, eventually. I have debayered a few myself now and usually i am left with a compromise sensor that makes dithering and flats mandatory. Best to buy a sensor that comes from the factory without a bayer matrix - like the Panasonic sensor in the ASI1600mm. But as stated, in the full frame size there is no obvious cmos chip at this time.
Old 13-11-2016, 10:47 PM
Atmos (Colin)
Ultimate Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I see QHY are developing some full frame CMOS cooled sensor cameras:

http://qhyccd.com/MediumCOLDMOS.html

The 36mp one is probably the same sensor in the Sony A7r and Nikon D800 cameras and now the Pentax K1.

The 24mp one is probably the same sensor as the one in the Sony A6000 camera.

Greg.
The problem is that they're not mono :/ When they come out with a mono FX sensor I'll be jumping on board!
Pretty sure I wouldn't be able to use my 36mm filters with the 16200, I have been eyeing off that sensor but it's out of my price range for quite some time yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
Hmm, my own experience with CentralDS was not great. They are relying on debayering and this usually (in my experience), produces anomalies in the sensor. The one they did for me had remnants of the debayer layer left on the sensor and the epoxy wire protection got onto the surface. They refunded my payment, eventually. I have debayered a few myself now and usually i am left with a compromise sensor that makes dithering and flats mandatory. Best to buy a sensor that comes from the factory without a bayer matrix - like the Panasonic sensor in the ASI1600mm. But as stated, in the full frame size there is no obvious cmos chip at this time.
I haven't really heard much in the way of reviews about them but as you say, debayering them isn't really the optimal way to go.
Old 14-11-2016, 06:27 AM
Slawomir (Suavi)

One of the astro websites in the UK has the camera priced at £3,089. That would probably be about $AUD 6k including gst n delivery.
Old 14-11-2016, 08:01 AM
codemonkey (Lee)
Lee "Wormsy" Borsboom

Bintel have it available for pre order for 5199
Old 14-11-2016, 10:07 AM
Camelopardalis (Dunk)
Drifting from the pole

That's pretty interestingly priced, about 2.5x the price of a 1600 and about 2.5x the chip area.

Of course, the 4.5x read noise is a bonus
Old 14-11-2016, 12:47 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post
Bintel have it available for pre order for 5199
That's awesome price! Really tempting...Given that I have just spent all of my dedicated astro money for the next 10 years, I MUST resist!