Old 06-04-2014, 11:16 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

High resolution imaging

Hello,

So im wanting to do some high resolution imaging of deep sky objects, eta Carina star etc. and eventually some planets.

Im using a PW 12.5 scope at native f8, 2.5m focal length, with a stl11000 - 9 micron pixels. The mount is a software bisque PME. I want to use a 2" Televue powermate but the question is do i go for the 2x or 4x ??

I know its going to much harder to guide at 10m FL than at 5m, but im willing to try either.

If i go the 2x powermate, and later get a planetary camera with say 3.75 micron pixels, it should work out ok (maybe still under sampled) judging by the 1st post here by Ray. So maybe a 4x would be better for this situation??

Im also keen to give a 4x powermate a shot on deep sky objects.

What are the thoughts of others?

thanks
Josh
Old 07-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Shiraz (Ray)

Hi Josh

For high res DSO imaging, targets will still be fairly dim and you will be limited by the atmosphere to maybe 1 arc sec under the absolute very best conditions, at which you would need sampling of about 0.35 - 0.5 arc sec and for this, up to to 2x would be the go for your 11000.

Planetary targets are bright enough for high framerates, which allows you to cut through the seeing and get close to the theoretical scope resolution. With a planetary camera with 3.75 micron pixels, you would need about f19, so a 2.5x would be good.

Maybe a good overall solution would be to get a 2x - it will be OK for both cameras (not quite ideal for planetary, but within spitting distance most of the time - use drizzle stacking if you happen upon some really fine seeing)

Last edited by Shiraz; 07-04-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:05 PM
Joshua Bunn (Joshua)

Thanks Ray,

Looks like I'm in the market for a 2'' 2x Powermate then. Thankyou for your help Maybe I will get another for planetary if i think it warrants it.

Josh