ANZAC Day
Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Star Parties, Club and Community Events
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29-01-2014, 01:29 PM
frankly1 (Frank)

Need a new club

Any Sunshine Coast stargazers like to start a group?? I live at Noosa Heads and would be interested in meeting up with some local astro folk to share the fun. Doesn't need to be too serious, but if people were keen we could form a club....
Old 31-01-2014, 08:03 PM
CJ (Chris)

Did you get any response at all? Apparently there used to be one on the Sunshine Coast but it gets mentioned as if it's best left forgotten. I'm interested but I can't bring much to the party, being pretty much a beginner!
Old 31-01-2014, 08:32 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

As a former President, vice President, and many other positions in the now defunct Sun Coast Astronomical Society (SCAS) I can tell you that forming a club on the Sunshine coast is not an easy thing.
A three of things which were the course of the demise of SCAS was,(1) Apathy,(2), Insurance,(3), distance to travel.
PM me for further information if you wish.
iceinspace is now mine and other sunshine coast members, astronomy club.
Want an observing night put a post on here or come to our Dark Sky Nights at Cambroon on New Moon nights weather permitting, we get numbers in the two digit figure sometimes with scopes up to 16" and astro imagers withe their various types of imaging equipment.
Just watch here
See sticky at top of that forum.
Cheer

Last edited by astroron; 05-02-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:47 PM
frankly1 (Frank)

Hi Chris,
your the second person I have come across at that stage of the hobby. The other fellow just lives down the street from me so maybe we could do something in the near future. I have only moved into the area recently and seem to have a few extra jobs popping up but it would still be doable.
Anyway maybe we should see if others come forward for a few weeks more.
cheers,
Frank
Old 05-02-2014, 09:01 AM
frankly1 (Frank)

Hi Ron,
I am quite keen to come out to the Cambroon site, because from what I have read around the forums it sounds like a good spot. When would be the next time?
cheers,
Frank
Old 05-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Spookyer (Brett)
Brett P

No doubt Ron will reply to this but I was up at Cambroon way the last few days and dropped by and met Ron one day. I wasn't there at night as I was staying at a place only a few kms away but on the other side of the hill. I can say it seems like a pretty dark area and he had pretty good all round visibility. I think you would have a good night next new moon weather permitting.

Brett
Old 05-02-2014, 04:34 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly1 View Post
Hi Ron,
I am quite keen to come out to the Cambroon site, because from what I have read around the forums it sounds like a good spot. When would be the next time?
cheers,
Frank

Hi Frank, The Cambroon Astro Nights are usually held on the Saturday closest to New Moon.
I usually put a notice on the Star Parties thread http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/f...splay.php?f=16 about 1 week or so before.
See sticky on top of the forum for directions,or PM me for information
Cheers
PS the next one will be held on Saturday the first of March weather permitting and No unforeseen events.

Last edited by astroron; 05-02-2014 at 04:48 PM.