Old 17-12-2009, 01:11 PM
sebastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
AHA!! Great! I live on Gold Coast so I can just pop over to the shop in Mermaid Beach! And great thread about string theory I already posted there and that gave me an idea for a thread as well. The Big crunch thread. hoping for a good read and a good discussion.
For sure, i live in Sydney...:S but doesn't matter Can't wait to discuss some more on some topics!!!
Old 19-12-2009, 12:05 PM
sebastien

Hey, I am a total newbie and got my first telescope (6" Dob) yesterday, and with it came a 2" eyepiece adapter, I have absolutely no idea what it is for, could somebody please inform me??

Thankyou,
Sebastien.
Old 19-12-2009, 12:17 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Sebastian
Eyepieces come usually with either a 1.25" barrel or a 2" barrel. Many of the longer focal length EPs will have the 2". The focuaser is designed to take a 2" EP but the adapter enable the 1.25" EP's to fit.
If you have got the Skywatcher 150mm Dob, it usually comes with a 25mm and a 10mm focal length epepice, both should be 1.25" barrels, so just leave the adaptor in place.
Old 19-12-2009, 01:54 PM
sebastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by barx1963 View Post
Sebastian
Eyepieces come usually with either a 1.25" barrel or a 2" barrel. Many of the longer focal length EPs will have the 2". The focuaser is designed to take a 2" EP but the adapter enable the 1.25" EP's to fit.
If you have got the Skywatcher 150mm Dob, it usually comes with a 25mm and a 10mm focal length epepice, both should be 1.25" barrels, so just leave the adaptor in place.
Thanks a lot, but I am still not quite sure what I use it for/basically why I need it, is it for :S

Thankyou,
Sebastien
Old 19-12-2009, 04:11 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Maybe some photos will help. The first photo show the focuser without the adaptor, then 2 photos with the adaptor in place. Then there is a pic of a 32mm EP with a 2" barell in the focuser without the adaptor then a couple of pics showing a 25mm EP with 1.25" barrel in place WITH the adaptor. I haven't fully inserted the EPs so you can see the barrell. Then a pic of the 32mm EP on the left next to the 25mm EP so you can see the size difference between the barrels. Unless the adaptor you have is completely different, or your EPs are not 1.25" barrels, this should help.
Remember the 25mm and 10mm on the EP is the Focal Length, not the barrel size, that is usually in inches!
If still confused, post a photo of the offending item.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_2915.JPG)
152.6 KB164 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2916.JPG)
155.8 KB188 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2917.JPG)
138.2 KB199 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2918.JPG)
152.5 KB267 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2919.JPG)
143.2 KB188 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2920.JPG)
111.5 KB180 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_2921.JPG)
161.8 KB236 views
Old 19-12-2009, 07:17 PM
sebastien

Thankyou very much, greatly appreciated, so it is kind of like a barrel? I know where to put it but how does it help us/what does it do. If it is a barrel, thanks if not then, sorry to test your patience :S But thanks a lot and greatly appreciated

Kind regards,
Sebastien
Old 19-12-2009, 07:30 PM
mswhin63 (Malcolm)

It allows to fit different eyepieces into the scope. 2" eyepieces are not the standard on most new scopes and 2" eyepieces naturally give wider field of view. I finally go some 2" eyepieces last week but only after 9 months worth of research and testing with other observers. Very handy to join an Astro Club as they can help in a much better more practicle way.
Old 19-12-2009, 07:33 PM
sebastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswhin63 View Post
It allows to fit different eyepieces into the scope. 2" eyepieces are not the standard on most new scopes and 2" eyepieces naturally give wider field of view. I finally go some 2" eyepieces last week but only after 9 months worth of research and testing with other observers. Very handy to join an Astro Club as they can help in a much better more practicle way.
Thanks a lot Greatly appreciated! Sorry for being so inquisitive :S Thanks again, and thanks for your time

Best
Sebastien
Old 20-12-2009, 11:33 AM
that_guy (Tony)
Local Korean Millennial

Hey seb... WHen I read the word inquisitive, I had a sudden urge to eat potatoes... I don't know why I'm mentioning it but I am...

Cheers,
Tony
Old 20-12-2009, 12:15 PM
sebastien

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_guy View Post
Hey seb... WHen I read the word inquisitive, I had a sudden urge to eat potatoes... I don't know why I'm mentioning it but I am...

Cheers,
Tony
Hahaha, that is so random, hahhaaha

Regards,
Sebastien.
Old 23-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Dusk (Brayden)

Hello, all!

Well I have been into astronomy since the end of 2005, and have had some great experiences with the Astronomical Society of Victoria.

My scope is a 200mm Dobsonian, and has served me well with just the 25mm and 10mm eyepieces, and a 2x Barlow.

For my 21st I got a Canon EOS 450D, which is a great DSLR camera, and I have been keen to branch out into more astrophotography.

So, this Christmas, I got a HEQ5 mount, on a pier, which I hope to use with my 8" Dob and/or Camera.

Just as soon as I work out how to polar align and set up the scales on the mount...Sigma Octans is very hard to find!
Old 24-12-2009, 09:00 AM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Brayden, Merry Christmas and welcome to IIS.

I'll look forward to seeing the results of your adventures in astrophotography.

Cheers
Old 26-12-2009, 03:45 PM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

Hi folks,

I'm finally here. I've been a long time fan of astronomy since a little kid, but I only just now finally got a telescope (from my wife for Christmas).

It's a basic Newtonian style telescope, 114mm aperture my wife picked up off eBay. Nothing terribly flash but I know it'll be good enough to get me started.

So ... looking forward to everything this forum has to offer.

Cheers,
Af.
Old 26-12-2009, 05:21 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Welcome Carl. Yes, that is indeed a start. Bring your reports and questions here. Eric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Boy View Post
Hi folks,

I'm finally here. I've been a long time fan of astronomy since a little kid, but I only just now finally got a telescope (from my wife for Christmas).

It's a basic Newtonian style telescope, 114mm aperture my wife picked up off eBay. Nothing terribly flash but I know it'll be good enough to get me started.

So ... looking forward to everything this forum has to offer.

Cheers,
Af.
Old 28-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Kevnool (Kev)
Fast Scope & Fast Engine

Welcome Carl to IIS let us know how your observing goes and dont forget to ask any questions that you need to know.

Cheers Kev.
Old 28-12-2009, 03:03 PM
CarlJoseph (Carl)

Thanks for the welcome Eric & Kev.

I had a look through my scope a couple night ago and was pretty amazed at the sight of the moon. Craters and all. Was quite a "wow" moment for me actually.

Will heading off to the Mornington Peninsula Astronomy Society shindig on the 1st of Jan so that should help ram in a new addiction for me! :-)

Cheers,
C.
Old 29-12-2009, 02:21 PM
barx1963 (Malcolm)
Bright the hawk's flight

Carl
Welcome! Get yourself along to club meetings as these are a fantastic resource. If it is a viewing night, take your scope, gives plenty of opportunity to compare views.
Try and get the scope out once the moons is out of the way in a week or so and enjoy the views of the clusters in the Milky Way lots to look at!
Old 06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
GHOST (Jason)

Hi guys,

Just got a few questions regarding how to become an astronomer.

Apart from reading materials off the net and from magazines, I'm looking to do some studing and getting some qualifications but I have no idea where to start or how to get there.

What are some things I can do to gain more knowledge or prepare myself before I really get into trying to do some courses?

Cheers
Old 06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Still at school, Jason? Have done or are doing lots of mathematics and physics? That will help.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Jason

I found the Astronomy 161 and 162 podcast series extremely valuable as a learning tool. It starts at the basics, but goes into some detail and covers a fairly broad range of topics.

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast161/
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/

Astronomy Cast is also a good podcast for learning more:
http://www.astronomycast.com/

Heaps of info in the archives.

For other qualifications, there are courses at Swinburne and other online universities that may be what you're looking for? I think a few members here are currently doing astronomy courses.

Good luck and to IceInSpace!