Old 27-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Ryath

Another Newbie

Hi

I have just joined & love star gazing, but am an extreme novice, so hope to learn more about the start etc.
Old 27-08-2007, 05:16 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Rob and Bill welcome to the both of you, hope you both have a great time here

All the best
Old 27-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Ryath, this is the best place to get you on the right path in this great hobby.

Cheers
Old 27-08-2007, 05:22 PM
zerocool

i am a newbeeeee

I am a newbee found this site out looks interesting as i have an interest about, whats out there i hope i can learn new and interesting things about the stars
Old 27-08-2007, 06:04 PM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Welcome Hawaii Bill, wow I'd love to visit those big telescopes at Hawaii.. i'm very envious!
Thanks for your introduction and I hope you come back and visit regularly.

Welcome also to Ryath and zerocool! Please don't be shy, tell us about yourself and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask!
Old 27-08-2007, 07:10 PM
lowercase
be who you wanna be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Welcome to IIS Holly, Hope you have a great time here. What are your astronomical interests.

Cheers
I am an amatuer photographer, long time space-lover / dreamer, and have a large interest in space caused by my eccentric father.

Thank you all for your warm welcome

I am not extremely well educated yet about space, though I wish to learn a lot more, and joining this homely forum was the first step!!

I'm leaving work an hour early tomorrow to set up for the lunar eclipse!! Who's with me!?
Old 27-08-2007, 07:10 PM
undeadspirit

Hi to all
im new around this site, so i'll be pretty noob and may ask a few (many) newby questions.
Old 27-08-2007, 08:26 PM
fiddickc

Dropped in to say hi

Hi all,

Like most in this thread, I am very new to wanting to learn about this amazing hobby. I am hoping to find out the best place to start and how to recognise the stars. Love listening to some astronomy podcasts at work but there aren't any Southern hemisphere dedicated ones I know of.

Found this site reading the local paper actually!!

Well, I'm off to look around.

Cheers
Craig
Old 27-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Holly, I'll look forward to seeing your images of the eclipse and believe me eccentricity can be a help with this hobby. Unfortunately I will miss the best bits of this eclipse due to commitments with the RFS but I should be able to sneak some quick peeks and admire the view visually.

also welcome to Craig and the Undeadspirit, hope you both have a great time here.

Cheers
Old 27-08-2007, 10:43 PM
astroron (Ron)
Supernova Searcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiBill View Post
Iceman and all,

It is a great discovery, IceInSpace.com, and hope to visit often. Astronomy is very active on our island with many large instruments on our Mauna Kea. But I bet you know that. There is a 30meter telescope in the works and the same location is one of the five remaining possible sites.

Many of us here are ambivalent on the profusion of telescopes on the top of Mauna Kea. Never having been a member of the "My telescope is bigger than yours" group, I sometimes wonder about the value received for the massive expense of these installations. Your view is welcome on all things as I do have much to learn.

Thank you for having such a wonderful community and for letting me be a part of it.
Bill, I visited the Big Island in 1990 for four days spent a whole day and part of the night on the mountain at the 9000ft mark, I even did a telescope tour using an 11" SCT for the public at the behest of the night manager at the visitors centre.
I stayed at a little Motel in Hilo which had a big goldfish pond outside.
I enjoyed my stay immensely.
They had nearly finished Keck#1
I hope you enjoy your stay on iceinspace
Old 27-08-2007, 11:14 PM
erick (Eric)
Starcatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryath View Post
Hi

I have just joined & love star gazing, but am an extreme novice, so hope to learn more about the start etc.

Hi Ryath,

I've just one thing to suggest to you - search for "Snake Valley" on the site. We'd love to see you there for a club night!

Eric
Old 27-08-2007, 11:17 PM
ballaratdragons (Ken)
The 'DRAGON MAN'

Quote:
Originally Posted by erick View Post
Hi Ryath,

I've just one thing to suggest to you - search for "Snake Valley" on the site. We'd love to see you there for a club night!

Eric
Eric, I've already sent Ryath a PM about SVAA

Good to see you attack too
Old 28-08-2007, 05:14 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Hi Craig, to IceInSpace!

I'm glad you found your way here from the article in the paper.
I listen to loads of astronomy podcasts as well. The only southern-hemisphere based one I know of, is "ABC StarStuff" - head to the ABC website and search for it.

I usually listen to Astronomy Cast, Star Stuff, Science@NASA, This Week @ NASA, Dr Karl's Greatest Moments in Science, and Astronomy 161/162. Occassionally i'll listen to a few others but they're my staple diet

also to undeadspirit! Don't be shy in creating new threads in the relevant sub-forum to ask any specific questions. This thread is so long and so full of introductions that often specific questions can get lost.
Old 28-08-2007, 02:46 PM
TaniaAU

Hi I'm a newbie too... this is a great forum!
Old 28-08-2007, 05:10 PM
Ryath

Thanks for the welcome. I'm sure many questions will be asked.
Old 28-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Jaala

Hi everyone...

My name is Jaala, I don't know a terrible lot about astronomy but I'm very interested in learning more... So I hope I can learn a thing or two from this site! Any tips for someone starting at almost square one?! Thanks!
Old 28-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Ric
Support your local RFS

Hi Jaala and welcome to IIS, a good start would be a planisphere and a pair of binoculars. That will get you heading in the right direction.

Cheers
Old 28-08-2007, 11:06 PM
felix

hi! i'm felix

i've always enjoyed looking into the sky, but am not good at anything technical at all! found this site while looking for info on the lunar eclipse tonight and it was really helpful basically am clueless with astronomy, but would love the opportunity to learn more!

with what i had - a trusty 3yo digital camera and a tripod, i snapped some images of the eclipse, the view was great! the 10x optical zoom didn't get me close enough though
Old 29-08-2007, 05:38 AM
iceman (Mike)
Sir Post a Lot!

Welcome to the new members, great to have you hear.

Don't be shy, tell us about yourself, and/or what interests you in astronomy and/or what sort of equipment you have
Old 29-08-2007, 07:54 AM
IAN&JO

Telescope Assembly a real problem

Dear Iceman
My partner bought a telescope through oo.com.au. It is by eastcolight in Hong Kong, so was a cheapy, & the problem is the assembly instructions are very poor. It's as if you need to have put together a DIY telescope before you would know how to interpret all the parts.
Is there someone she can get to help her finish putting it together (all except the eyepiece section seems to be Ok, eg finderscope works) ? Or will she have to buy another one, already assembled. We don't thing Hong Kong is going to give us much joy.
Cheers
Rank Amateur Ian