Go Back   IceInSpace > Images > Solar System

Old 25-05-2015, 09:17 PM
Quark (Trevor)

Saturn apparent tilt 2008 / 2015

Have just finished updating my Saturn apparent tilt animation with my RGB data from May 23rd. This animation is made up from RGB images captured at or close to opposition 2008 through 2015.

The 2008 image includes my first SED's (Saturn Electrostatic Discharge) related storm, it is the white spot in the Southern Hemisphere in the region known as storm alley South.

2009 features a shadow transit of Titan.

2010 has a faint storm close to the CM in storm alley South.

2011 features the head of the Great Storm situated in storm alley North which at that stage had dredged up so much material it totally encircled the planet. The dark spot behind the head of the storm was an anticyclone that formed in the turbulence back from the head of the storm. Right through to 2015 that anticyclone, which has shrunk considerably, continues to survive.

2012 the SED's had stopped and the dredged up material was dissipating leaving only a thin ring of material NOTE toward the P limb a dark spot can be seen on the Southern edge of the storm remnant this is the anticyclone fossil from the Great Storm.

2013 the storm remnant is fading further while the anticyclone fossil from the Great Storm is on the Southern edge of the storm remnant toward the F limb and there is a bright spot close to the CM on the edge of the storm remnant which related to an earlier sporadic SED's outburst.

2014 the storm remnant has virtually faded from view however the dark spot just to the F side of the CM where the storm remnant had been is the long lived anticyclone fossil from the Great Storm.

2015 the North Polar Hexagon is well seen with no evidence at all of the Great Storm remnant.

I have attached a link to the animation which is on my website.

http://trevsastronomy.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=198590884

Last edited by Quark; 26-05-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 25-05-2015, 10:08 PM
bobbyf (Bob)

That's awesome Trevor!
Old 25-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Eratosthenes (Peter)
Trivial High Priest

Thumbs up

This is the sort of Astronomical work that I enjoy most - long term projects that reveal special features or enable measurements to be made.

fantastic Animation - hope you extend the animation over the coming years Trevor

Old 26-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Sebbie (Sebastian)
Sebbie

Pretty cool Trevor.. it also shows how imaging sensors have improved over the years

Regards,
Seb
Old 27-05-2015, 10:05 AM
John K

Excellent Trev!