Old 03-01-2018, 06:02 PM
m11 (Mel)

Moon shots advice

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get advice on what gain/exposures for the moon is ideal? My understanding is this can be subjective but wanted to get an understanding what people look for and options they set?

I have attached shots for advice on what can be done better or if I have missed anything.

Thanks again,

m11
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (00_14_56_lapl4_ap175_conv_g_crop.jpg)
170.1 KB67 views
Click for full-size image (00_15_57_lapl4_ap175_conv_g_crop.jpg)
161.0 KB41 views
Click for full-size image (00_26_52_lapl4_ap175_conv_g_crop.jpg)
166.5 KB46 views
Click for full-size image (00_29_42_lapl4_ap175_conv_g_crop.jpg)
170.5 KB44 views
Old 03-01-2018, 07:19 PM
LostInSp_ce
Unregistered User

Hi Mel,
As you stated it's subjective and there's a lot of variables to consider e.g. conditions/camera/scope/lens combos. I'm not too sure about the ideal gain settings but what you have there looks like it's in the ball park to me. A couple of things that you may want to tweak are the few pink spots in the highlights. I'm not sure if this is a stacking or clipping artefact but either way it is something that you might want to keep an eye on when processing. The other being that it looks just a little soft which could be due to the seeing conditions or your focus may have been just a fraction off. I am only nitpicking and personally they are some lovely lunar shots. Something else that's worth a try is to bring out its true colour. The moon has a beautiful palette.
Old 03-01-2018, 07:52 PM
m11 (Mel)

moon shot advice

Hi Lost,

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

The shots that show more white is that off putting (overexposed) or more subjective?

Didn't realise that it had that artefact, will definitely be watching for it.

You are right, I think I don't have proper focus as well - I think it really comes out when its enlarged that the focus is off.

Didn't realise the range and shades of grey and black on the moon. I will keep practising.

Thanks again,

M11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInSp_ce View Post
Hi Mel,
As you stated it's subjective and there's a lot of variables to consider e.g. conditions/camera/scope/lens combos. I'm not too sure about the ideal gain settings but what you have there looks like it's in the ball park to me. A couple of things that you may want to tweak are the few pink spots in the highlights. I'm not sure if this is a stacking or clipping artefact but either way it is something that you might want to keep an eye on when processing. The other being that it looks just a little soft which could be due to the seeing conditions or your focus may have been just a fraction off. I am only nitpicking and personally they are some lovely lunar shots. Something else that's worth a try is to bring out its true colour. The moon has a beautiful palette.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:19 PM
raymo

Yes, your focus is a bit off, and your contrast is too high, making the images a bit harsh. I have posted two images, the lighter one highlights the craters
rather than the seas, and the other one highlights the seas rather than the craters. Hope they help.
raymo
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (012-down.jpg)
86.7 KB43 views
Click for full-size image (012-down sharp again.jpg)
94.2 KB43 views
Old 03-01-2018, 08:48 PM
m11 (Mel)

Hi Raymo,

Thanks for the feedback.

Appreciate posting your images as reference. How did you alter the constrast - was it post or taking the shots?

thanks,

m11

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymo View Post
Yes, your focus is a bit off, and your contrast is too high, making the images a bit harsh. I have posted two images, the lighter one highlights the craters
rather than the seas, and the other one highlights the seas rather than the craters. Hope they help.
raymo
Old 03-01-2018, 09:21 PM
raymo

With the moon having so many shades, simply altering the exposure
duration will produce these changes. From memory these were ISO 1600
1/3200sec for the darker one, and ISO 1600 1/2500sec for the lighter one.
I use high shutter speeds to avoid vibrations from the DSLR's shutter
and mirror.
raymo
Old 03-01-2018, 09:42 PM
m11 (Mel)

moon shots

Hi Raymo,

Thanks for that. I using a zwo camera with sharpcap. Will have a play with the settings to test it.

thanks,

m11