Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > Astronomy Books and Media

Old 20-02-2020, 11:44 PM
Ukastronomer (Jeremy)
Feel free to edit my imag

Nothing is catastrophic unless you don't have originals and upload images to the interwebnet! and delete the originals, which I have never done and never will

Old 21-02-2020, 11:49 AM
tim.anderson (Tim Anderson)

I lost nothing other than my cover photo.
Old 21-02-2020, 12:42 PM
Paul Haese

This is the main reason I pay for hosting my own website. I have the entire copy of the site stored in three different places. And; as they say in data storage, "it's not stored unless it is stored in three separate places".

Whilst I am not an Astrobin member, I have several times thought about just putting all my data on to a site like Smugmug. I still have terabytes of data stored in three places and would continue to do so, but I will probably never go to Astrobin now after witnessing this rookie error. I feel sorry for the guy but it was not a great idea to admit you made a rookie mistake out in the open, nor was it a good idea to do something like that without checking first what the implications would be of the deleting data. Especially after recently wanting to up the price of subscriptions.

I think I agree with someone else's analysis; this might well be the end of Astrobin. People do use these places as storage facilities and most likely don't have copies of their own or if they do, it might well be hundreds of images to sort through and starting again will be pain to hard to bear.

Time will tell....
Old 22-02-2020, 07:21 AM
gregbradley

Never used Astrobin but I think its a cool site. I was thinking about possibly using it one day.

I do keep copies on external HDD but they can be unreliable (especially if you leave them in a car and get a 40C day).

Hopefully its not too disruptive for users to repair their sites.

I use PBase and it seems pretty reliable but its not an astro community which I see Astrobin has become.

Greg.
Old 22-02-2020, 09:58 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Well I have now been upgraded from the free account to premium (even though my files were automatically recovered somehow).

I had previously decided against going premium as I am currently developing my own website as a sub-domain of my business website, so it costs me no extra money beyond the $19 a month I pay for the business site.

I have been lurking around Astrobin for a long time and admiring others images (and taking screen captures of other people's camera / processing settings for my own education) - only recently did I start posting images to it so I could share the links to full sized images on IceinSpace.

My main concern now is that Salvatore not only has a one-off financial hit for the repair / upgrade / extra short-term capacity of Astrobin's web-hosting but he's now also lost quite a bit of future income by offering quite generous compensation.

I think at some point this year he is going to have put his hand out for donations and/or sponsorship. Given the strong support he has had towards this crisis I'm sure he would get plenty of each.
Old 22-02-2020, 10:16 AM
CalvinKlein (Kelvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbradley View Post
I do keep copies on external HDD but they can be unreliable (especially if you leave them in a car and get a 40C day).
I think external hard disks have become significantly less reliable in the last few years. They seem to me to be more susceptible to heat and knocks and bad electrical connections (less gold on the USB connection cables ?? )

All my business customers have at least two alternating offsite USB backups in addition to other backups / archiving (e.g. NAS devices & internet-based storage) - and they are replaced every three years maximum. I still believe portable USB disks are an essential part of any backup strategy despite what the online backup vendors might say. Three of my bigger clients have recovered from large scale ransomware attacks thanks to physically disconnected USB disks !

One thing to be aware of with old disk archives is the concept of "bitrot" where data on hard disks gets silently corrupted and you have no idea its happened. That corrupt data can then be propagated to new disks, or to something like dropbox, and unless you are viewing the photo or video you may not know its corrupted.

For this reason I have my main data repository of "everything" on a small windows server and I run a cheap software application called Fastsum on a regular basis. It initially creates checksums of all the data files on the server, one checksum file per folder.

Then at regular intervals I re-run the software, it recalculates the checksums and compares them to the previous values (creating new checksums for added files). This methodology will highlight any corrupted / changed / deleted data files for you to review. if any files are genuinely corrupted you can restore them from other 'known good' backups such as NAS / USB / internet storage.

Some newer operating systems have this checksum capability built in to the operating system but this manual method using Fastsum is sufficient for my business and personal data and client documentation.
Old 22-02-2020, 03:18 PM
glend (Glen)

I have received an email from Salvatore, advising he is upgrading all account holders to Premium free for one year. I suspect he may have lost the information regarding subscriptions. My account was Premium until the crash, and defaulted back to the basic free 10 image account. I had asked him to re-establish my account via a separate email earlier.

Last edited by glend; 22-02-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 22-02-2020, 05:06 PM
Slawomir (Suavi)

That’s great news Glen.

In my case however, since 104 of my images were gone and at least 10 lost all technical info, and because my images are all over the place at home, I thought it will be just easier to delete my Astrobin account, particularly, that just leaving my Astrobin account in a mess also didn’t feel right - so deleting seemed like a better option. For now, I will continue with pbase, as I already had an account there.
Old 22-02-2020, 06:33 PM
glend (Glen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slawomir View Post
That’s great news Glen.

In my case however, since 104 of my images were gone and at least 10 lost all technical info, and because my images are all over the place at home, I thought it will be just easier to delete my Astrobin account, particularly, that just leaving my Astrobin account in a mess also didn’t feel right - so deleting seemed like a better option. For now, I will continue with pbase, as I already had an account there.
Well Suavi, I have not decided to continue with Astrobin, as my 158 images are still gone, and I will need to do substantial work to track down exactly which of my many files were actually originally uploaded to Astrobin and in which Gallery slot. The only clue Astrobin seems to give me is date/time stamp when the original file was uploaded.i know that the files I need to find are jpgs so that is a start, so jpgs created around the Astrobin date might be the search criteria. I just dread the task and the rebuild of my Gallery.