Go Back   IceInSpace > General Astronomy > General Chat

Old 20-10-2020, 05:48 PM
Mark
I Like globs.

My item from ADM arrived today. Posted 26 August. New York 28th August. Hong Kong 2nd September. No further updates until 13th October when Aus Post got their mitts on it.

Unfortunately, I'd stopped checking by the end of September, and feared it lost in the Stygian depths of Freight Hell. Thus, I made alternate arrangements. Mayhap, too soon. There's likely to be an EQ6 saddle plate & puck in the IceTrade Classifieds soon...
Old 27-10-2020, 03:08 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

I just had a nice time working with the guys at Kyoei Tokyo branch for some gear. They ended up setting up a DHL vendor account and in the end sent out the order on Friday, in my hands today at lunch time, just on 4 days door to door.

I went through and compared kit with FLO. Items were a fair bit cheaper at Kyoei, shipping a little more expensive, netting a $83 saving on a $720 (inc shipping) order.
Old 27-10-2020, 09:32 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

The japanese postal system and the couriers ex Japan are PHENOMENAL and put the rest of the world to shame. I have found that Japanese EMS is CHEAPER than Australia Post and actually get to Canberra in about 2 days! I am not sure though if the Japanese Post Office is working yt though - I suspect not.

Switzerland looks like going into another shut down any day now, and likely the rest of Europe will follow, so if you want something ex-T.E, act NOW.
Old 27-10-2020, 11:18 PM
raymo

Well, I ordered some roof rails for my car from Dublin, Ireland, late on friday
16th[W.A. time], they left Dublin on Saturday, arrived in Amsterdam on the Sunday,
arrived in Frankfurt on Monday, arrived in Perth Wednesday, cleared customs Friday, delivered yesterday. Great job DHL and everyone else involved with
my package.
raymo
Old 28-10-2020, 09:35 AM
AdrianF (Adrian)
Currently Scopeless

Package from US arrived 12 weeks after posted via USPS. Waiting on small package from Adelaide for last 3 weeks still not here. I don’t think the hold up is overseas postal services.
Package from US could be tracked until it reached Sydney then ..... nothing

Adrian
Old 28-10-2020, 09:56 AM
aepost (Tony)

I have brought items that say coming from Australia but after waiting for ages they arrive from China
Old 28-10-2020, 11:46 AM
raymo

I don't know where you shopped, but this deceit is now common on ebay.
raymo
Old 05-11-2020, 08:07 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

USPS sagas continue.

I bought a SMALL item on eBay, US seller. Checking after the tracking number was given show delivery estimate to be December 20 - Jan 14.

Yet things from Europe have been 14 to 20 days for me, from Russia, Poland, Switzerland, France and Germany (regular post, not DHL or UPS)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:14 PM
LewisM
Novichok test rabbit

Oh wow, a USPS update...

Your item arrived at our USPS facility in SANTA CLARITA CA DISTRIBUTION CENTER on November 4, 2020 at 7:40 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

That's 53km in 4 days....typically a half-hour trip (Calabasas to Santa Clarita)

And before anyone says, no, UPS/Fedex/DHL was not offered - many US sellers are now refusing this due to the extra paperwork required.
Old 12-11-2020, 03:38 PM
TrevorW

What about local post, I sent items to people over east one to QLD and one in TAS on the 26/10 ordinary mail as only small package no weight both had a RTS address and both parties have still not rec'd the item -nearly 3 weeks later although I must admit one was sent local to an address 19k from where I live and it took 11 days - not happy JAN
Old 12-11-2020, 03:43 PM
jahnpahwa (JP)

Fedex hong kong to canberra in a week for a small part. DHL still a slight preference for me.
Old 13-11-2020, 07:51 PM
AnakChan (Sean)

Ordered my Pegasus Astro PPBA on 24th Oct, was shipped off on 27th via regular HK Post. Arrived on Australian shores on 8th and got it on my doorstep today 13th Nov (in Perth). No idea of shipping routes if it came in via Sydney or direct.

Also ordered the GMK NUCBox via Indiegogo. It was picked up by DHL on 12th Nov, and targeted to arrive 20th.

Edit: 19th November 2020, I got my GMK NUCBox 1 day early.

Last edited by AnakChan; 20-11-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 20-11-2020, 08:41 PM
Aron

I had two packages, from USA and Japan. One is UPS, one is DHL.
Both are telescopes, not small package.

UPS: 12th , arrives at 18th
DHL: 16th ,arrives today

My preference is on DHL though. UPS is way too expensive.
Old 20-11-2020, 11:45 PM
Nikolas (Nik)
Dazed and confused

I had a crap experience with ups
Old 21-11-2020, 05:31 PM
Aron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolas View Post
I had a crap experience with ups
It's a gamble, but I think it's better than USPS at least?
I've had very few delivery from UPS but they were alright.
Old 21-11-2020, 05:50 PM
Renato1 (Renato)

Orders from China using Ebay have been a bit of a mixed bag for me.
Several items took five to seven months to arrive. But most show up in about three to four weeks, one even in a week and a half.

I bought some stuff I couldn't get here from the Vitamin Grocer in Pennsylvania with low cost postage. It got here in two weeks, then sat in the DHL depot for another week before finally being delivered.
Cheers,
Renato
Old 27-11-2020, 02:37 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

Has anyone ordered from AliExpress? Any pointers/gotchas on what to be careful of or look out for? How fast are their shipments and are they reliable?
Old 29-11-2020, 10:20 PM
PCH (Paul)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post
Has anyone ordered from AliExpress? Any pointers/gotchas on what to be careful of or look out for? How fast are their shipments and are they reliable?
Hi Sean,

I’ve ordered some stuff very recently from Ali and they were fine, even with the included free postage.

My stuff arrived within a fortnight. A missing item was reported and it turned up within another ten days. So no complaints from me, although I understand not everyone has enjoyed the same excellent service.
Old 30-11-2020, 02:24 AM
AnakChan (Sean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCH View Post
Hi Sean,

I’ve ordered some stuff very recently from Ali and they were fine, even with the included free postage.

My stuff arrived within a fortnight. A missing item was reported and it turned up within another ten days. So no complaints from me, although I understand not everyone has enjoyed the same excellent service.
Cheers Paul. I'm pleasantly surprised to hear that you got you stuff in a fortnight esp in the current climate. I may try ordering small USB cables, etc. first then.
Old 30-11-2020, 10:42 AM
notoriousnick (Nicholas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

I ordered a couple of EPs through Aliexpress, using free shipping. Received them a few days ago. It took about seven weeks.